Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 am

Queen Noor is too the left of you guys, the left! She's a white woman.

http://www.alternet.org/

She makes complete sense. God bless her.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 am

She also wrote a helluva book, Leap of Faith. I got a chance to meet her a few years ago (at the same event at which I danced with Julie Newmar).

Queen Noor's book is a must-read: http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/1401359485
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Barber wrote:
Steve Evil wrote:Life in Bartholemew Roberts' crew was much freer than any legitimate navy of the time.

The military is not, and never should be, a democracy.

[quote]
No, but shouldn't life in general be?

Pirate ships of the time were not military organizations. They were a way of life that was on the whole much freer than what was left behind. And aren't men born to be free?

The Royal navy of the time was one step up from slavery. Half the sailors were press-ganged (kidnapped) from taverns or something, sent to sea for years at a time without advance warning. They were fed on megre rations and token pay, and lashed to bloody ribbons for minor infractions. "Gunnel bobbing" was a popular punishment. And all this discipline wasn't meant to keep men alive in battle; men were cannon fodder. This was cruel and arbitrary. Meanwhile the officers lived in luxury.

So, mutiny and desertion was common, and piracy was the result.

And more often than not, these democratic organizations could outfight any traditional military vessel. Captains were chosen for their fighting prowess among other things, and were trusted by their men. Half the time, the conscripts on board went over to the pirate side.

Not to romanticize it too much, but I sure know which ship I'd rather serve on!

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 pm

--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:20 pm

Jim, my Jim, you came back at the right time. Those massive amount of quotes from all over the news spectrum is devastating. Israel has gone way beyond self defense into all out murder.

Notice Israel is not offering any of their doctors.

I will never again say a bad word about Norway.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:24 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Of course they should question orders. Harlan would kick your butt on that one too, Barber.

Gee, how presumptuous of you to say what you think Harlan would say.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:18 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Of course they should question orders. Harlan would kick your butt on that one too, Barber. It sure would stop the Hitlers of the world or the Bush's if only more brave men and women would just say fuck you.

Frank, this suggests you know virtually nothing about the military culture or command structure. Yes question patently illegal orders. But not every order. Nor should it be policy or attitude to question your commanders. To do so would be a catastrophe.

Harlan served, he knows. Wholesale ignorance of the chain of command in the military is as scary a prospect as is a renegade Presidency.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:08 pm

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Yesterday the Prime Minister of Iraq said that all arab states should break all ties with Israel, because of their recent crimes. This is amazing because this is our guy, plus the story has been buried. Except of Yahoo India the mainstream cable news stations are not touching this--yet.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:25 pm

And the moon landing was fake, too.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:35 pm

"I am an United States citizen"(sic)

If Frank reads the way he writes, then you guys know what you're up against.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Twenty five seconds into this short video clip, a "woman" expresses the true meaning of the Palestinian's war against Israel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir4Te_YVyic

The End.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:51 pm

Well Duane what you have is two Parties of GOD who are identical, seeing in each other the reflection of their own hate and stupidity.

There will be no peace until they abandon their superstitions.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Well, identical in the sense that both religions follow Abraham's God, but vastly different in the way they approach the world, and how they expect the world to deal with them.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 pm

vastly

Really?

You judge a tree by the fruit it bears and a person not by what they say but what they do.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”