Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:12 am

Steve Evil wrote:There are bigger nuts in this world who hold more power.

Macadamias, for instance. What IS it about those things?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 pm

>> Chavez is a nut. Thankfully, the Venezuelan people run the show. <<

WHAAAAA???

To me, it seems you lionized this guy. A change of heart, perhaps? Or have I misread your posts over the years?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:20 pm

I like him and I don't like him. He makes the Empire tremble, which is always a good thing. People are no longer willing to take orders from the big rogue state. Just hope he moderates a bit. If not, he should go away.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Barber wrote:
Steve Evil wrote:There are bigger nuts in this world who hold more power.

Macadamias, for instance. What IS it about those things?

Probablly the same thing Brazil nuts have going for them dearest!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Obama will not sign the ban on landmines treaty. Maybe he is Bush.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Bill Clinton was questioned on East Timor--once. Look at his answer. Look how he folds his hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYcQUQgcpw

Notice him laughing as Nairn describes the deaths. Bill Clinton acts like a serial killer, rationalizing the murders. Imagine Pol Pot doing the same about Cambodia.

Look forward, not backward, eh? What if Hillary or Chelsea were raped? Would you look forward if the rapist told you too? Sick.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Great debate about corporate branding. You all may like it. Naomi Klein owns the Economist bitch:

http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/4390

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:22 pm

Barber, I emailed Zirin about those Vancouver stats. Will tell you if he responds.

-----------------

Anniversary of the Battle In Seattle, where people of goodwill rocked the nation by coming out in droves to protest corporate globalisation, a stain on true trade reform, which could actually help countries better their conditions, not loot them like we do. The media is unsurprisingly mute.

Greg Palast got an interview with the head of the WTO, who lied through his teeth, especially when Palast presented a leaked internal document that said that countries that didn't let in foreign investment would be sanctioned by unfair taxing of their goods, so that they could not sell in the open market, where none exists.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 am

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, I emailed Zirin about those Vancouver stats. Will tell you if he responds.

I didn't post a follow up since someone else made note of the fact Zirin used ten-month-old stats, and that the current statistics being used by the Sun are much more accurate. (For one thing, they omit the cost of the Canada Line on the Vancouver light rail/subway system. There's $2B of your stats, which shouldn't be counted against the Olympics since it was previously planned, sincerely needed, and will be used well afterward.) (It runs from the airport to downtown. Until it opened, the only route was through very busy city streets.)

Also, nearly $700M for the Sea to Sky Highway upgrade, also badly needed. Plus, taxpayers aren't footing the bill for the renovation of the Canada Place Stadium (around $500M, I believe).

I'll go back to the comment made by some locals while I was there: "Even if we lose a billion, we gained three billion in publicity and improvements."

No matter where you live, that's compelling math.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:29 pm

The numbers could be wrong, but we shall see.

I don't get how the Olympics will help Vancouver, but the Summer Olympics will hurt Chicago or Rio.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:21 pm

Frank

Think about that statement for a bit.

The toursim alone will be a boon to Vancouver. They probably don't have enough Hotels, resturants and other amenities to cover the crowd. So they will have to build more, construction jobs are god jobs..

I'm not going to go on any further. You're smart enough to figure it out from here.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Tariq Ali pops one balloon that bobs around in our media culture about Pakistan. The big fear is that the Taliban could take over Pakistan and take over the nuclear weapons there. Ali says it would be impossible for a group of radicals to to take over the nuclear facility. First, the Pakistani army is huge. The facility is the most tightly guarded place in the country. Even if they got in there is no way they would know how to shoot them off. Imagine some radicals here going into a facility here and shooting nukes off?

The continuing war is what is spurring the problems in Pakistan. Let the Pakistani military take care of the Taliban.

The people there want access to healthcare, food, education. They want to learn english, so that they can read other books, beyond the rubbish they read in Pakistan. Give them what they need and that will solve the problems.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:58 am

Nice photo Frank. Actually that's just how I imagined you. :wink:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:05 pm

Frostie was anally raping me.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:11 am

Uh...moving on...

Sarah Palin has an op-ed piece in today's WashPost.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... ule&sub=AR

My only question - Would the Post have published an op-ed this ignorant and uninformed if I had written it?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”