Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

cynic

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby cynic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:09 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Is it against Islam to harvest organs?
only if they're not kosher?
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:17 pm

I have a Jewish friend who says in Israel they call pork "white."

-----------

Aha, I was right, the Afghan war is illegal:

http://www.zmag.org/zspace/commentaries/4084

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:27 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Is it against Islam to harvest organs?

No.

"Organ donation is permitted in Islam if it is done within the permissible limits prescribed by the Shari`ah.

The following are the conditions scholars have stipulated for donation:

Conditions associated with a living donor:

1. He/she must be a person who is in full possession of his/her faculties so that he/she is able to make a sound decision by himself/herself;

2. He/she must be an adult and, preferably, at least twenty-one years old;

3. It should be done on his/her own free will without any external pressure exerted on him/ her;

4. The organ he/she is donating must not be a vital organ on which his/her survival or sound health is dependent upon;

5. No transplantation of sexual organs is allowed.

Conditions associated with deceased donors:

1. It must be done after having ascertained the free consent of the donor prior to his /her death. It can be through a will to that effect, or signing the donor card, etc.

2. In a case where organ donation consent was not given prior to a donor’s death, the consent may be granted by the deceased’s closest relatives who are in a position to make such decisions on his/her behalf.

3. It must be an organ or tissue that is medically determined to be able to save the life or maintain the quality of life of another human being.

4. The organ must be removed only from the deceased person after the death has been ascertained through reliable medical procedures.

5. Organs can also be harvested from the victims of traffic accidents if their identities are unknown, but it must be done only following the valid decree of a judge."

source: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543788
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm

Dear Frank,

Here is another site regarding beliefs on organ donation:

http://www.justaskislam.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:39 pm

cynic wrote:hey there frank,
what's the best (most popular) flavor of icecream to searve with apple pie?
i was thinking vanilla?
pumpkin with whipped cream
pecan pie on it's own
(i'm in charge of pie this year)
[snips]
happy holydays all.

Hi, Mike,

Now this is a subject I hold strong views on! :lol: Apple pie is really yummy with pecan ice cream, if you want a change from plain old vanilla. Also, if you have a strong enough mixer, you can mix some cinnamon into the vanilla ice cream to make it cinnamon ice cream to go with the apple pie.

Pumpkin is less forgiving than apple, IMHO. I think the whipped cream is the best bet. However, for a change, I would strongly recommend an old country favorite: Sweet Potato Pie instead of pumpkin. Here's a recipe:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/sweetpotatodess/r/bl1109d.htm

Maple syrup ice cream goes really well with sweet potato pie, if you have an ice cream maker and want to go all out. If this is causing diabetes just by reading it, :lol: then just stick to a cinnamon-vanilla combo.

And try your pecan pie with a rum raisin ice cream -- sounds yucky I know, but it's an out-of-this-world combo for the adventurous!

Bon appetite! :)
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:32 pm

I don't put ice cream on pie. On cake, yes. Vanilla bean baby.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:11 pm

The wedding is off Frank!

I cannot couple wit a man who dosen't understand the joys of warm apple pie with a big scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream melting over it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:49 pm

No, the apple pie I will eat off you. lol

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:00 pm

Warm pecan a'la mode. Nothing like it.

Unless it's a dutch apple a'la mode.

Or blueberry pie a'la...

or...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:07 pm

A human rights delegation went into Gaza and went around to schools. They wanted to ask the children there what they most wanted to have. They said a drink of water in the morning! A drink of fucking water!! They are helping them with water purification as we speak, while Israel keeps them from having clean water. You one-sided defenders of Israel better remember that. A drink of water! Sad.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:12 pm

you're just as one sided frank, and what makes yours so bad is that it is the pc side to be taking.

As long as both sides are lobbing both literal and metaphoric bombs at each other, there will never be anything remotely resembling peace.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:50 pm

I am not one sided. Give everybody clean water, even brown people.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:49 pm

frank

I'm not going to point out the many times you've accused me of being pro Israel despite the fact that I've consistantly said that both sides are wrong.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Both sides are not wrong. Israel is doing major crimes and the Palestinians are the victims of those crimes, who lash out in sometimes bad ways. Simple.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:52 am

FrankChurch wrote:Both sides are not wrong. Israel is doing major crimes and the Palestinians are the victims of those crimes, who lash out in sometimes bad ways. Simple.

Frank, did you really need to demonstrate the truth of Lori's statement immediately after she made it?

The fallacy, of course, of your comment is that Isreal is a State, the Palestinians are a People. The crimes of Hamas -- the governmental Palestinian authority -- are as reprehensible as those of the Isreali government. If you're not going to differentiate between State and Populace, then Hamas (as a governmental unit) is fair game for severe criticism -- and highly deserving of it. What Hamas has done to Isreali and Palestinian Peoples alike is as horrendous in almost every way as the Isreali government you love to condemn.

Being fairminded requires you to recognize that the government entities of Israel and the Palestinian Territories are equally criminal in their treatment of Palestinians and/or Israelis.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”