Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:18 pm

You Californians, I'm sure you remember when college education was mostly free there, but Ronald Reagan didn't think education was a right so he started the high priced college system. Thanks Ronnie.

--------

Olbermann has a new gig: He will host a show on Current TV, a little watched cable channel owned by Al Gore. He will also do news coverage there. He was tired of the corporate control over his free speech. I had a feeling he felt that way.

You see this now as Rachel Maddow has yet to do an anti-Reagan episode.

Hope Keith can take Current to become a decent network. Right now only crickets watch.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:46 pm

FrankChurch wrote:You Californians, I'm sure you remember when college education was mostly free there, but Ronald Reagan didn't think education was a right so he started the high priced college system. Thanks Ronnie.

Huh?

You mean the Cal State and University of California systems are lying about their age??? Reagan started them?

Wow. Most people date the UC system to the 1870s. The CSU system was formed in the '70s, but based upon a number of existing campuses -- and at a lower cost than the UC tuition. Our statewide complex of City and Community colleges have a variety of start dates, but didn't become expensive until the '90s.

And I know you don't believe the state has anything to do with USC, CalTech or Stanford.

(I'm no fan of Reagan, but this is a ridiculous assertion.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:07 pm

Steve

What I think Frank was trying to say is the following. Yes the UC system is as old as it claims to be, but until Regan became Governor, it was free to educate your self from birth to the grave in California.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Steve

What I think Frank was trying to say is the following. Yes the UC system is as old as it claims to be, but until Regan became Governor, it was free to educate your self from birth to the grave in California.

(I deleted the duplicate posting, BTW)

I'm not sure this is the case, though. I believe that both UC and CS systems charged, though nominally for in-state residents and higher for out-of-state students. My sister-in-law graduated from LBUSD -- I'll check with her and see if she knows the history of tuition.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Okay. Now I'm confused. I've read the article that Frank is probably referencing -- but have also found a number of other references to budgetary inclusions such as "Tuition Assistance" programs dating as far back as the 1950s. If you're not charging tuition, why are you assisting people with paying it.

More to come. (I'm sure this is such a huge issue that everyone's on seat edge, but it's made me seriously curious.)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Mark Ames, who is a progressive economy writer for Exiledonline said this on Dylan Ratigan the other day. Also this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California ... _Education

Tuition was free at one time.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:04 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Mark Ames, who is a progressive economy writer for Exiledonline said this on Dylan Ratigan the other day. Also this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California ... _Education

Tuition was free at one time.

But that article doesn't say anything of the sort.

What it says is that students who achieved a certain percentile were guaranteed a slot in the system -- not that they wouldn't have to pay tuition. There's even a reference to economic need, which means that someone is comparing this requirement to for-cost education at the UC and CSU systems.

It doesn't mention tuition at all.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Noam is on record saying he doesn't like Hamas. Now I am allowed not to like them as well. hahahaha.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Frank -- Isn't it sad the military is always the bad guy?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110213/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:31 pm

Ok, I'm challenging you, defend the Egyptian military? haha.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Well, they could have opened fire. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:07 pm

...or supported Mubarak.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:11 pm

An Egyptian Tiananmen Square.
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Damn...

You guys make my day, but you didn't see George Clooney like I did this morning. He's shooting a film here in the dead of winter. He's quite petite.

The film is Ides of March. Cool.

-------

Was watching an old No Reservations and Bourdain was in London. Looking at the bookshelf in his hotel he noticed a Noam Chomsky interview book, which he stole...lol

For real. He did call him an 'America-hating-crackpot-genius.' Saving America is not hate. The genius part I go with. Crackpot works, since it means he aint one of them. Oink.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Holy crap, Robert Fisk was on Charlie Rose! I missed it, since that show is usually bugs in the blender.

FAIR was able to get Dean Baker on Charlie, now this. Activism does work--sometimes.

Off to watch Fisk. Hope he zings Rose.

Return to “General”