Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 05, 2011 3:27 pm

You have two choices--extreme poverty or more protection for Disney.

Huh? :?

We make up the rule of law as we go.

We should just concede that we are the mafia and that we can do what we want.

Sure we have faults god knows but Frank have you ever been to a country where there actually was no rule of law? You don't know what you have. And because you don't know you'd piss it all away for some phony paradise.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Barber has a hobby horse about copyrights, as you all perceive that I have on other issues, but Barber can ride his, but mine has to be put out to pasture, preferably as fire wood.

Corporations control speech. You have to amend laws to make speech more free. Nobody should find this strange or offensive.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri May 06, 2011 1:47 pm

FrankChurch wrote: Corporations control speech. You have to amend laws to make speech more free. Nobody should find this strange or offensive.

Frank

One of my biggest problems with your viewpoints is that they cast such a wide net that they are almost not worth dealing with.

Take the above statment. While that may be true for the media or other coporate entities, how does it get to bothering me? Sure the media is hamstrung by this, but I'm not. I can gather information from various sources and make my mind up with the facts.

Answer this for me. How is the coporation stoping me from having my say in this or any other forum I may participate in. It dosen't stop me from talking to people on the street about whatever we choose to speak about, nor has it stopped me from making statements on a variety of public forums.

You seem to want to remove the blame from the individual, it's not my fault that my speach isn't listened to, it's the MAN who is keeping me from being heard. Shit Frank if Mumia Abu Jamal can make his statements on the public air waves, surely you can make yourself heard. You aren't in prison after all, and he still is.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Lori, you are better informed because you have me as your guide. :P

To be serious, most Americans get their opinions from mainstream sources, because they don't know how to look for other sources. There is a vast propaganda cadre that keeps people from thinking. This has been studied.

Sure, someone could turn to The Nation or NPR, but they probably won't. They will rely on their local papers or tv, which are even worse. They rely on right wing talk radio. They rely on Fox. They rely on cable television that has a small rolodex of who are allowed on. Our side just doesn't have the same access. Sure, they could watch Democracy Now, but they probably won't.

We need more public media. We need newspapers to be subsidized by the government. We need a progressive cable channel. We need more access to radio and telly.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri May 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Um, Frank, would you ideologically have a much bigger problem with government funded media? If you're worried about Corporate Control built upon competition, how would Big Brother be better in your eyes?

(Personally, I believe the BBC is probably an excellent example of this working, but...)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri May 06, 2011 2:21 pm

I'll give you that Frank, but how the hell is beating the fact to death in a group who almost all agree with you going to change a damned thing?

And besides those people who listen to the propaganda probably would do so even if we saturated them with truthful media. Sheeple are like that. Just do your best not to be one of them.

I have a hard enough time keeping myself outta sheeplehood, why do you expect me to make some grand gesture to keeping the rest of the brood outta it?

(sheeplehood Copyright 2011 Lori Koonce all rights reserved) I cannot take credit for Sheeple, heard Marc Maron use it on Air America when it was up and running.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 06, 2011 3:44 pm

A fine documentary about the Trials of Norman Finkelstein, from Al Jazeera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McyF92_LCXo

-----------

Barber, Bush was not actually elected, so he is not a leader. Wink.

Leaders can be tried for crimes. Bush will never be tried. It is considered crazy to bring it up here. The main point has always been that we have lived in an unfair world. If Justice shall come to Bin Ladin, then we should give Justice to the Muslims we kill. Nothing controversial or hard to understand.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri May 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Frank

Who gives a flying fuck about HOW Bush got the job, for eight years he had the reigns of this nation.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat May 07, 2011 8:50 am

Frank, said awhile back, aint gonna respond to the political stuff u put up. It may surprise u to know that I agree with you'; Disney can fight its own copyrights prob. But the way the law is written, there are criminal penalties to copyright violation as well as civil. Am I right about that Barber? And these were enforced by the FBI. I believe because copyright enforcement was given to the federal government under the little thingy called the Constituition. When 9/11 happened, I think a lot of FBI responsibilites got handed to Homeland. This is supposition on my part. May copyright should be enforced by local government. Maybe not. Too busy stayin alive to fret overly much. I know this is a waste of time.... I am poor Frank. I want to have a party for my family and friends. I want it catered with good food. You are my caterer. I dont want to pay you for your work. Your food is delicious. I want more to give away. I want to send Aunt Sadie some in Fort Worth. Still dont wanna pay for it. Is that fair? No its not. Steve makes pictures, Cris sings, David acts, Harlan and Steve and Adam-Troy write; these are their jobs. Should they not be paid for their work? Copy rights should be longer than 10 or 12 years, we live longer now. They should not be forever, thats not fair. The rest is open to valid debate. But Frank, Joe Schmoe, Mrs. Schmoe and the little Schmoe dont give a flying rats ass about most of this stuff. And if u strapped them down and made them think about any of it, they would not agree with you or me. They would agree with Sarah Palin and Donald Trump.
Osama got what he deserved. He was planning more attacks on our country. Killing him was an act of self-defense. I have thought both Shrubs should be in jail for 2- years. Many disagree. And this is why I stopped discussing your political points. Here u be preaching to the choir. We mostly all diff shades of kinda liberal herebouts. Plus most of the country disagrees with you. So why keep bringing up the same points over and over again? Makes no sense. In my opinion. And leads to pissing peeps here off. Why u wanna do that Frank?

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat May 07, 2011 8:53 am

20 years the Shrubs shoulda been in jail for 20 years. In my opinion,Cheney too.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Lori, there was no reason to become so angry at such a benign comment. Stay cool Sister.

--------

Diane, Barber knows that I support copyright protections, he just wants me to sign off on Disney controlling free speech. That I cannot do. I do have to be morally consistent--being an anarchist, we believe 'property is theft.' --have to stay consistent.

Amending law back to fifty years protection still protects copyrights, so I can't be on the nill side, since I was never on that side. Disney lobbies congress to keep copyrights as long as humanly possible so that they can control freedom of speech and use the government as enforcer of their non-existent right to make profit.

Other aspects of the laws should be curved as well, but it doesn't mean I don't support copyrights.

Jello Biafra didn't want a Dead Kennedy's song to be used in a Levi's commercial and he sighted his copyright claim to stop it. I agree.

I'm the good guy. Cris will not be hurt if her rights to use her copyright expire in 50 years. This is much more liberal than what Thomas Jefferson surmised.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat May 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Once again Frank your narrow viewpoint has led you to an error of thinking.

I curse a lot, even when I'm not angry, it's just the way I express myself at times. Don't do it here too often, but that's just so I don't offend the other patrons.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 07, 2011 2:08 pm

You knew this was coming. Chomsky's take on Osama Bin Dead:

http://www.zcommunications.org/my-react ... am-chomsky

I didn't crib from his notes. Not my fault that we are on the same wavelength.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat May 07, 2011 3:03 pm

"Thieves respect property. They merely wish the property to become their property that they may more perfectly respect it."

FrankChurch wrote: ... I support copyright protections,... I do have to be morally consistent--being an anarchist, we believe 'property is theft.' --have to stay consistent.

copyright protects property... you support it.
property is theft... being an anarchist; you believe (and support ?) this as well.

:? :roll: :lol:

frank; you are less "consistent" than the weather.
did you mean "contradictory" ? :)

of course you did.
follow your bliss,mike

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat May 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Some college students are retracing the 1961 Freedom Rides. Some of the original riders are participating as well. They all sound like a great bunch.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42943337/ns ... ?GT1=43001

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “General”