SCIENCE VS RELIGION

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: SCIENCE VS RELIGION

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:Sagan said that science is spiritual. You would never have Sam Harris say that.

http://www.amazon.com/Waking-Up-Spiritu ... +waking+up

Sam's next book, due out a month from now.

Well, at least a few posts are drifting back towards the topic.

Merci buckets.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Big bugs are science. :D

Another gorgeous Hubble shot -

This beauty actually has a name. This is the head of the Horse Head nebula. For those who are keeping score the pink glow is caused by ionized hydrogen given off by a heavy star forming region. This shows why the Creationists are so full of shit. They think creation was a one time thing that ended 6000 years ago. Creation is ongoing.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 am

Of late, I've been spellbound by the discoveries of these mindblowing exoplanets. They are too distant for clear images with current technology, but it only adds to the mystery! This is a recent one, over 63 light years away and small in mass compared to others they've found, a "meager" 1.65 times the size of Jupiter!

Taken with the Gemini Planet Imager, recently fitted to the Gemini South telescope in Chile, the bright dot represents Beta Pictoris b, one of the most famous planets beyond the solar system.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:39 am

Cool Pic Robo, have you shown this to Terry Pratchet yet? Think he should. E aware that ring world exists...

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:24 am

I recognized the Horse Head Nebula right away. These stellar nurseries are downright awe inspiring. Our solar system would only be a tiny speck against that massive cloud.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:37 am

robochrist wrote:Of late, I've been spellbound by the discoveries of these mindblowing exoplanets. They are too distant for clear images with current technology, but it only adds to the mystery! This is a recent one, over 63 light years away and small in mass compared to others they've found, a "meager" 1.65 times the size of Jupiter!

Taken with the Gemini Planet Imager, recently fitted to the Gemini South telescope in Chile, the bright dot represents Beta Pictoris b, one of the most famous planets beyond the solar system.

Looks like Guam.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:28 am

And egg about to meet the sperm. Cosmic birth.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:23 am

GUAM looks more like this:

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Thankyou Rob. Move along everyone!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Steve Evil,

Come with me and we'll visit Guam together! With vistas like THAT, how can you turn down such an invitation? (Oh, God, I'm starting to forget what this thread was about!)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 pm

Please stick to the topic.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:30 pm

I can hardly wait. . .

Uhm, topic, right. Found Kraus' A Universe From Nothing in a discard pile. There's my cottage reading this year. . .

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:16 pm

ya know what would really suck? If there is a God, but there is no life after death. Wouldn't that just be really disgusting?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:10 am

diane bartels wrote:ya know what would really suck? If there is a God, but there is no life after death. Wouldn't that just be really disgusting?

Actually I once read of a "liberal" Jewish theologian who held to that exact view. No afterlife but we "live on in the mind of god". Yes extraordinarily dissatisfying. I'm reminded of Woody Allen's line (and I'm paraphrasing) that some people want to live on after death through their works and some through their descendents but he wanted to live on by not dying. Hear hear.

You suppose it's ever possible to take a bad photograph in space? Do you think space photography will kill talent because any shot it so breathtaking no matter where you point? Anyway I suppose this is the celestial version of sitting in traffic waiting for the light to change.

“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:26 am

Or, watching a ship come in. I once saw some of the rejected photos from Project Apollo. Thumb in front of the camera, bad exposures, etc. So yes, Virginia, there can be bad photos from space.

But the good ones take your breath away. I'd love to see what Steve or Andrew could do with such a vista.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “General”