SCIENCE VS RELIGION

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: SCIENCE VS RELIGION

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:45 am

They can be anybody. It's called freewill. Toruquemada was a Christian. Where are the standards?

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:13 am

Ugh, Ayn Rand... Her stuff makes me want to talk to Ralph and Earl about a Buick on the big white Comode-A-Phone.

Ayn Rand wrote FICTION. Poor fiction at that. I swear, she must have gotten paid by the word.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Did you know the Fountainhead is the second most sold book next to the Bible? My bile marches towards the pearly gates.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Unca Harlan once described "The Fountainhead" as a "pretty good book" and "Atlas Shrugged" as "trecking through the Sahara in your underwear".

Second after the Bible? Funny, I've heard that claim from alot of books.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:51 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Did you know the Fountainhead is the second most sold book next to the Bible? My bile marches towards the pearly gates.

Just because two shitty books sold well doesn't make them good. It just means that they have good marketing. ESPECIALLY in this capitalist society.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Unca Harlan once described "The Fountainhead" as a "pretty good book"

Yeah, you probably left out part of what he said, like, "The Fountainhead is a pretty good book, written by a fifth grader or someone with equal IQ."

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Some people think THE FOUNTAINHEAD is the Bible.

I love the Bible. Of course that's because unlike many other atheists and most Jews and Christians I've actually read it. Parts of the Hebrew Bible are the equal of anything in the Greeks or the Hindus. And the King James Bible is a glorious piece of art. I feel sorry for folks who let religious goofiness interfere with their ability to appreciate it. Read it like the Odyssey or the Mahabharata.

Speaking of which, Robert Alter has just published his brilliant translation of the so-called Wisdom literature including the Book of Job, the Book of Proverbs, and if I might say it, the jewel of the collection, the Book of Ecclesiastes. Also be sure to check out his David Stories which is out in paperback. That portion of the Hebrew Book of Samuel is the cream of the cream.

Bill O'reilly proves the existence of god!
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... asse-tyson
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:25 am

RocRizzo wrote:
Steve Evil wrote:Unca Harlan once described "The Fountainhead" as a "pretty good book"

Yeah, you probably left out part of what he said, like, "The Fountainhead is a pretty good book, written by a fifth grader or someone with equal IQ."

No I did not. This is a direct quotation from a recent lecture.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 am

One of my favoritist gloriously baaaaad movies is the 1949 version of THE FOUNTAINHEAD from Ayn Rand's own script. Starring wonderfully miscast Gary Cooper as Howard Roark the fearless architect. Also starring scrumptous Patricia Neal in her first role and best of all the great Raymond Massey whom I love in everything he did.

Characters pause at every opportunity to orate about ART and FREEDOM and MORALITY. Crowds riot in the streets over modernist architecture. Great stuff.

I understand we can expect ATLAS SHRUGGED on the silver screen next year. Undoubtedly this will start a new wave of Randomania. Oh god.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:58 am

Ezra Lb. wrote: Undoubtedly this will start a new wave of Randomania. Oh god.
it will only add to whatever other Random Mania that is near inevitable.
every day it's the efin end of the world as we know it.
follow your bliss,mike

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:34 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:I understand we can expect ATLAS SHRUGGED on the silver screen next year. Undoubtedly this will start a new wave of Randomania. Oh god.

Kill me now... You'll probably need an ark to survive the drool!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:28 pm

The Bible is a beautiful book. Watch it, Roc, we need the progressive left religious movements. They gave us freed slaves, labor rights, etc...

I still think it is funny that atheists know more about the Bible than evangelicals. The bread of life has mold it seems.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm sorry about that. I just have no need for any mythological books. Not only the bible, but other religions' mythologies have quite similar stories, and preach the same thing, with simple cultural differences. Yes, I have read it, as well as the mythological books of India, Japan, Greece, Rome, Wiccan and several Natve American sects. They all tell the same type of thing. It should be common sense by now, but there those who pervert it to meet their hateful needs, and those who use these books to gain power over a group of people.

It was hell trying to get the Roman Catholic Church to perform a mass for my brother who died from complications from AIDS, back in the '80s. Even though he went to church every Sunday, was a member of the Knights of Columbus, and was the most non-violent person I have known, a true Christian, they were convinced that because he had a "gay disease," he should not get a Catholic funeral. Eventually, the local church was convinced, when I brought up his years of service to them, and his true following of Christian doctrine. It was a struggle to even get my father to go to the funeral. The Knights never showed up, as I have seen at other members' funerals. Members who did less for the organization, and the Church than my brother. Perhaps it is this that turned me off to ANY religion. All I know is that I don't need it. I can make my own decisions about how to live life, tread lightly on the planet, and treat my fellow human as I would expect to be treated. It's really just that simple, as far as I am concerned.

OK... enough of my babbling. I'm sure if you read this far, your eyes are glazed over. Credit it to my nom de plume, Euripides Upmann.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:26 am

If people are driven to do good deeds by their holy books, all fine and good. But when folk insist their holy books, rather than their own consciences, are their sole* source of morality, as if they'd be bad (and might actually prefer to be so) if not strictly instructed not to be, I hardly see that as highly developed morality.

Nor am I impressed with the "true meanings" of said holy books, which largely amount to "cherry pick what I happen to cherry pick". I don't think its a coincidence that atheists tend to know more about the holy books than their strictest adherents.

*I almost typed "soul". How's that for a Freudian slip?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Steve Evil, we've been accused of cherrypicking facts, so there ya are. hehe.

Return to “General”