SCIENCE VS RELIGION

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: SCIENCE VS RELIGION

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 am

Lori, how about movies past 1970.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Frank

Check it out.....

http://www.jesusfilm.org

A movie made after 1970 and it's based on the Gospel of Luke. So it makes it about Jesus himself.

BTW good use of Republican taticts. Get an answer and then amend the question.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:32 pm

I thought of another one--The Cross And The Switchblade.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Ben W. wrote:Scientific Racism, Militarism, and the New Atheists

http://www.africanglobe.net/featured/sc ... -atheists/

...ouch.

OK let's assume for the sake of argument that all the so-called "New Atheists" are rabid racists and militarists.

What does that have to do with the question of whether or not a god exists?

###########

Interesting, watched one of Bogie's last flicks this morning, Left Hand of God. I would say this movie is fairly typical of the "Hollywood" approach to religion. There is a point you can brush up against but cannot pass in your criticism of the clergy. But this flick ultimately takes the conservative approach. Pretending to be a priest makes you a better person. Of course.

Also interesting to look back at this movie knowing Bogart was in constant pain during the shooting from his already diagnosed cancer, and that Gene Tierney was in the process of cracking up during production.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 am

A miracle happened this weekend. I won't mention what it was, but miracles are real.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 am

Ezra, my prayers worked. :mrgreen:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Islamic law probably does forbid terrorism. Unfortunately, religions have often found a way around these little technicalities, as expressed by the fictitious King Richard IV in the first Blackadder series, as he was about to leave on a crusade:

As the good Lord said: "Love thy neighbour as thyself -- unless he's Turkish, in which case, kill the bastard!"

It's amazing the number of people who want to turn just about any religion into a death cult.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:Islamic law probably does forbid terrorism. Unfortunately, religions have often found a way around these little technicalities, as expressed by the fictitious King Richard IV in the first Blackadder series, as he was about to leave on a crusade:

As the good Lord said: "Love thy neighbour as thyself -- unless he's Turkish, in which case, kill the bastard!"

It's amazing the number of people who want to turn just about any religion into a death cult.

Chuck

I saw this on Facebook

What would you think if I told you that most Muslims feel the same way about Suicide bombers that most Christians feel about the Westbro Baptist church?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 am

I saw that one too, Lori. I would not be at all surprised that's how they feel. Certainly, the family of the two suspected bombers seem to feel that way.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:19 am

In both instances, though, the problem lies in an unwillingness to address the source of the delusion in both cases. In the one, they're just violent nutjobs, but very little gets said to criticize the idea of Jihad or repudiate the passages in the Qu'ran about killing infidels. In the other, they're just deranged nutjobs, but few want to address the parts of the Bible on which they base their frothing-at-the-mouth idiocy. Yahweh directed that homosexuals (depending how you read those old testament passages) be put to death. The phrase "abomination to the Lord" is used. Maybe it's a mistranslation, but most christians seem unwilling to simply say, "Well, obviously the people who wrote that were cracked. I wonder how it got in the Bible?" They fudge and wiggle and use all manner of arcane construction to deny it legitimacy while doing everything they can to retain the presumed legitimacy of the Bible as a whole. They can't say the WBB aren't christians. Likewise most Muslims are hard put to claim that terrorists in their name aren't really Muslims. The real problem lies in the primary texts and the willingness of people to abase themselves to the idea of them.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Jeremy Schahill has his new film out about the Obama dirty wars around the globe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CEIzgV_85c

Unless we change course what happened in Boston will be bigger, more often. We need to change course, work for actual peace, not war posturing. Barry needs to find his soul.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:34 pm

The Roman Catholic Church makes it harder to stay every day. And that is even though I think I like the new Pope

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Stay for the hymns. Split for the life lessons.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 am

Diane, my Episcopalian church needs more members. Come join us. We love gays and women. Unlike other churches we have free food after our service...lol

Or Father Pfleger, his church is banging on the south side. Take that reprobate Mike with you.

Return to “General”