SXSW, baby!

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:26 am

I've only been in Austin for four (very good) nights of my life, and I can vouch for Numbers 1, 2, 9, part of 12, 14, and 15.
Although my exposure to Leslie (ewww) was all on Six Street.

I highly recommend the bar Nuno's--saw (and drank with) Alan Haynes, a guy who came up with Stevie Ray, there--plus, on the other side of town, there's a really neat open-air bar restaurant where I got to see one of my absolute favorite musicians, Monte Montgomery, for free. Forget the name, though.

The cabbies are nice, and if you're in a hotel, it's recommended that you end your latenight carousing sessions by taking a ten-buck ride in a tricycle rickshaw.

One other thing.
If you like blues, or rock and roll, DO go to the lake and genuflect by the Stevie Ray Vaughan statue.
As much of a blueshound as I am, I HAD to go. Played the man a couple of tunes as I happily watched the joggers go by.

I've gotta get back there someday ...

paul

Postby paul » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:07 am

Don't forget about the Facebook hookup thingy.

http://2008.sxsw.com/tools/facebook/

I have no idea how that works, but I know folks here started to get into it. I'll check it out one of these years.
The medium is the message.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:19 am

Erik's trailer is up on Matt Dentler's blog, Feb 9th.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/mattdentler/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Film passes went on sale yesterday or today. $70 for all films after badged folk get in.
http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/ ... _sale.html

paul

Postby paul » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:05 am

Alex, Austin calls you. It asks you, nay, compels you. Come hither and receive the bounty of one or two decent bands left in the country. (That's hyperbole, Barber. Tell Cris to put the claws away.)

http://www.myspace.com/theboxspringhogs
http://www.myspace.com/mrlewisthefuneral5
http://www.myspace.com/scotthbiram  

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:25 am

Hey, who'm'I to argue live bands with someone from Austin?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:43 am

So as I was saying, $70 dollar film passes. The passes get you into all movies. Now, they do sell tix to the general public, (regular movie price, 7-9$ YMMV) about 20 min or so to show-time, but there is no guarantee the place won't be filled to capacity before that.

You can call Waterloo Records at 512) 4742525 and order your film passes by credit card, and they will hold them until you pick them up. Just need to show I.D.

Of course, Harlan's panel is slated in the exact same time slot as Helen Hunt, so there should be plenty of seats available. Tee. Hee.

Those with badges can get in to see all panels and movies. The film passes are not able to be used to see panels, and you cannot pay your way to hear the panels. So that means, unless Harlan is able to swing some extraordinary largesse to film pass people and/or personal friends, it's badge only kids. Sorry.

Now, as for trying to find a decent hotel for less than your firstborn anywhere NEAR downtown..........

paul

Postby paul » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:53 am

To be spoken in the accent of our dear sweet departed Jewish mother from the South Bronx:

"Soooo, who's going?"

paul

Postby paul » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:57 am

The movie - http://2008.sxsw.com/film/screenings/fi ... ml#trailer

The panel- http://2008.sxsw.com/film/conference/pa ... d=FP060181

There are, have been and will be this year, rumors of rouge podcasters sending the panels out in live-time. There are a few that may, but that would be strictly okayed with the SWSW guys, and I'm trying to find out if anyone is doing that. Generally, recordings are made, and after the panels or meetings are finished, then the radio/podcast mavens can send it up. Others more tech savvy may be able to get that info. My podcasts come from iTunes.

I'd love to see some blitzkrieg typists try to follow Harlan's speed-of-light leaps of ratiocination and obscure, eclectic minutiae.
"Shit, what was that? How the hell do you spell 'festschrift'?"

paul

Postby paul » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:48 pm

The Lost Pegster. That's what I get for living 6 hrs. from any border. Next time, chica. Stay sweet.

Peggy

regrets, mi amigo

Postby Peggy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:43 pm

Hey Paul, sorry to bail on ya but that's the breaks. If work hadn't interrupted with 2 offshore trips and inherited shit-fest for the next 6 weeks, I'd have had a much better chance of making it.

You know, we could always meet up in the middle sometime... ;-)
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

paul

Postby paul » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 pm

Life comes first, love. You've enough on your plate as it is. Rest when ya can.

cue music:
we'll meet again, some sunny day
we'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when........

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 pm

Paul, Austin indeed calls me.

Problem is, it's calling collect, and I cannot afford to accept the charges.

In the beginning of every March, I go to my union's Legislative Conference in Washington, D.C. I harangue Congressmen and Senators, network a bit, maybe visit my uncle (a MUST this year), and generally have a lot of fun while getting a lot done.

No way in HELL am I going to rush-fly down to Austin the week I get back up from the National Pig Trough, then hurry back, not to Philly, but to New York for Lunacon.
(and as one of my best friends is a perennial guest there, and as it is one of the very few times in the year she's on the East Coast, I ain't missing it.)

For me, it was shocking to realize that Austin seems like it could be one of the few cities I could happily live other than my hometown.

I WILL get back there; just not for SXSW.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:52 am

Tennessee has nice cities as well.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:53 am

Harlan will be there, right?

paul

Postby paul » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:09 pm

Yes, I have to work on Saturday, but I should be finished by the afternoon, I plan to get downtown by 6, earlier if I can. Off on Sunday. Again, my number is available for a rendezvous (watch it).

So, who is planning to come? I know it's a trek and money is tight, I'm just curious. Sorry to miss you, Steve, Mark, Alex, Peg, but next time, next time. Seeing the times you've all been through recently, I'm just glad you're getting by. Smooches.

I have had nothing but problems every time I've been through Tenn. I do need to get to the Grand Ole Opry, but I hear it's nothing like it used to be.
Hank lll sez, Trashville.

Return to “General”