Bullshit Racist Obama Major Media Slam Jambaroo

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:44 pm

Ezra, back off slowly from the gerbil.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:46 pm

Earl, don't doom the planet to nuclear war just because you don't like some preachers speech.

Harlan would vote for Mickey Mouse over a republican, you should do the same.

---------------

Rich, you are out of your league.

Earl Wells

Postby Earl Wells » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:17 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Earl, don't doom the planet to nuclear war just because you don't like some preachers speech.

OK, Frank, I'll stand down. I've returned the nuclear football to my aide and lowered the DEFCON level all the way to 5. Boy, that was close.

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

Earl, if, as you posted, the fact that Obama did not throw Jeremiah Wright under the bus, lowers your enthusiasm to zero, you may want to consider the other two candidates right now.

McCain actively campaigned for the endorsement of extreme right-wing televangelist John Hagee, who has called the Catholic Church "the great whore" and the "anti-Christ" and has been for years lambasting adherents of that church (NOT the Church leadership, which admittedly has often deserved it, but Catholics as a whole), and who has often said that Jews brought their own persecution in the last century upon themselves.

Further, Hillary Clinton has since moving to DC been part of The Fellowship, also known as the Family, an extremely conservative and fascistically cultish Christian group.

So all three candidates have troubling connections to hateful religious groups or leaders, but only one--Obama--has openly repudiated the horrible statements and positions of that group or leader to which he or she is tied.

Just a thought there.

Earl Wells

Postby Earl Wells » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:37 am

Alex Jay Berman wrote:Earl, if, as you posted, the fact that Obama did not throw Jeremiah Wright under the bus, lowers your enthusiasm to zero, you may want to consider the other two candidates right now.

McCain actively campaigned for the endorsement of extreme right-wing televangelist John Hagee, who has called the Catholic Church "the great whore" and the "anti-Christ" and has been for years lambasting adherents of that church (NOT the Church leadership, which admittedly has often deserved it, but Catholics as a whole), and who has often said that Jews brought their own persecution in the last century upon themselves.

Further, Hillary Clinton has since moving to DC been part of The Fellowship, also known as the Family, an extremely conservative and fascistically cultish Christian group.

So all three candidates have troubling connections to hateful religious groups or leaders, but only one--Obama--has openly repudiated the horrible statements and positions of that group or leader to which he or she is tied.

Just a thought there.

Yes, I am aware of all of that. I read, I watch TV, I surf the net, I listen to radio, I talk to people. Whether you believe it or not, a person who disagrees with you may not be ignorant.

I have expressed no enthusiasm for McCain or Hillary. I have none. I don't need to be told of their shortcomings. I am well aware of them.

You seem to believe that Obama's repudiations of Wright's worst statements contrast him markedly with the other two. I think his simultaneous warm and heartfelt praise of a bigoted zealot makes him look like just another politician who wants to have it both ways.

Rest assured I won't vote for McCain. I prefer either Democrat. I assume Obama will be the Democrat, and you'll just have to forgive me if I vote for him without enthusisam.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:15 pm

In an effort to lighten the mood of this thread, which I would never throw under a bus since I have been with it from the start (wink) - ladies and gentleman, I give you THE ONION. More evidence that truly wonderful things besides me come from Wisconsin.

I hope the future POTUS laughed as hard as I did over this. I love how they never once say his name.

[url]http://www.theonion.com/content/news/black_guy_asks_nation_for_change
[/url]
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:18 pm

In an effort to lighten the mood of this thread, which I would never throw under a bus since I have been with it from the start - ladies and gentleman, I give you THE ONION. More evidence that truly wonderful things besides me come from Wisconsin.

I hope the future POTUS laughed as hard as I did over this. I love how they never once say his name.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bl ... for_change
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:31 pm

We are not securing loose nukes in Russia--do the math.

Wuvs da onion.

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:26 am

Earl, I'm sorry if I came off to you as didactic or condescending; that was never what I intended.

It's not enough to read and surf nowadays, though--you have to really dig deep to find things--and the dearth of real news coverage and investigative journalism these days (excepting Seymour Hersh, Greg Palast, Josh Marshall, and damned few others) means that even people who DO look around a lot missed the things I saw.

As for whether Obama's speech following the Wright thing distinguished him markedly from the others ... well, no, except in oratorical ability. But it DOES distinguish him, even to such a markedly slight degree.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:38 am

Well, it turns out he's not coming to Tampa, after all. (Check out the obligatory "B-b-but he's a nasty RASCIST!!!" comments at the bottom.) What a shame--I was honestly thinking of checking him out.

And since it hasn't been linked to yet in this thread, here's a longer, nearly-ten minute excerpt from the "God damn America" sermon. After seeing that, and reading transcripts of the whole thing, I'm convinced that the brouhaha over this is the biggest pile of manufactured horseshit I've seen since . . . well, whatever the last pile was. I'll say it again: except for the AIDS stuff and the whole religious angle, I don't see one thing I disagree with. But, hey, if you want to equate this guy with Fred Phelps and his ilk and pretend he doesn't have a valid point, that's your delusion. It sure wouldn't be the first time someone's pilloried for not being sufficiently patriotic.
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:45 am

Oh, and Hillary?

Just STFU, okay? (At this point, I'm embarrassed I ever voted for her husband.)
--

"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:35 am

Well my current favorite Hillary moment is when she was getting off the plane in Bosnia "under fire" (apparently this was good training for a future President), and then...well she didn't.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23789011/

And some kid asked Chelsea about Monica!

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 07581.aspx

I detest the Clintons. Their lying lust for power at any cost. Their vulgarity and crassness.

But that doesn't blind me to the fact that electing Obama will be a real gamble. I think the furor over his pastor is largely a distraction. The good Reverend seems like a garden variety religious fanatic to me. But Obama needs to be answering the hard questions with specifics.

What is he going to do in Iraq?

For example.

Change we can believe in.

I don't want to believe.

I want to know.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:38 am

My Dad used to threaten to "kick [my] ass up between my shoulder blades so hard [my] neck would stink like shit for a month." I'd laugh because I knew he wasn't really serious. I DID get the message, though. I'd screwed up, and I'd better get my act together, and fast.

Now, if my Dad had a history of actual violence against people who crossed him, the phrase uttered above would have a whole different meaning."

Language has more than just a literal meaning. To me, all Rev. Wright's speech is REALLY saying is that we have a long way to go before we truly live up to our ideals.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:42 pm

Ezra,

"For example.

Change we can believe in.

I don't want to believe.

I want to know."

Unfortunately, speaking for myself, I'm more fearful of McCain's well-established plan for the Middle East - not to mention the economy - than Barack's evasiveness on specifics. Party policy, and KNOWING what kind of will be appointed is ALL I need to know.

Besides, what they say in campaigns is not always reality. Party policies are the only real gauges for a general idea of what each candidate will do. Maybe that's why so many are streaming to Barack's support despite his generalizations. Bear in mind, I DO want him to start outlining specifics. But the alternatives are such a given (if McCain is elected I truly believe the American Middle Class is fucked; and those who vote for him will only get what they asked for), I'll take the vagueness any time.

BTW, I think the entire leadership of the Democrat party is stupid, lame, stilted, and unimaginative. They've no sense of strategy in the face of the Republican bullshit machine whose control on media and lies is so vast it can make your face spin. They're morons. And I'm STUCK with 'em.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:25 pm

Call me naive, but giving the country hope is a good start.

The rest of the world could look at us differently if a black man is President, especially one with that dreaded middle name.

Return to “General”