some thoughts on the latest nonsense

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

David W. Pareis

some thoughts on the latest nonsense

Postby David W. Pareis » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Like i said previously, this got very ugly, very quickly. So how about everyone leave it at Harlan said what he said Rich responded and it's between the two of them and quit with the mob gang bullshit that so often happens here before it gets a whole lot uglier,ok
Anybody who needs Bob Dylan to tell him which way the wind is blowing is a serious mental defective.

Sterling Morrison

Pablo picasso never got called an asshole
Not like you
jonathan richman

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:14 am

Too much drama .I wish I could look away.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:52 am

This will have short legs.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:35 am

So does a Dachshund.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:54 am

I pose a different solution.

I say let's invoke mob rule, but redirect it at David Pareis for posting a grammatically flubbed plea!

We'll pile on him like a compost heap!

('Sides. The drama over in the Pav right now is marching on, but in what I think is an appropriate manner. Harlan's friends want to remind dorks, who think they can ramble in here and spit at him, of our loyalty to the man and our personal fondness. That's what "makes it personal", and that's why we aren't talking about "Bob Dylan" here. We may be moved by Dylan's music, but we know his music not HIM. That's why we consider a shot at Harlan very much a shot at US)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:55 am

Don't worry guys, I won't let Harlan's love go to my head.

Waa waaa.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:33 pm

"Don't worry guys, I won't let Harlan's love go to my head."

I'm assuming that was meant as a gay joke.

It fits! It fits!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:56 pm

We need to change the subject. Like, were the Our Gang shorts racist. Nothing too controversial.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:18 pm

No, let's stick to this gay joke thing of yours.

That was very uncouth of you.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:47 pm

robochrist wrote:That's why we consider a shot at Harlan very much a shot at US

Why do you think that? I mean, unless I'm misunderstanding your relationship with HE, you're just, at best, an acquaintance. So, again, I ask:

Why?
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:21 pm

Jim, I realize your question was directed at Rob (though what your motivation is for posing it this way is a little transparent -- please don't insult my intelligence by denying it), but do you mind if I respond?

You pretty much only appear when there's an opportunity to jump on Harlan for something. You're pretty much the only person who appears only when there's a chance to jump on Harlan about something. I gave you absolute props for your post yesterday, and I meant it. But it's true about the timing. I'm not attacking or deriding your choice to be largely absent anything positive, just mentioning it because it's fundamental to my comments below.

Your posts ask the question as to why people defend Harlan or feel he does no wrong (which no one here would agree with, he's human, as are we all). You're not just jumping on Harlan in your posts, you're jumping on the people who come to this site as fans, admirers and friends. To expect that you would get something other than a series of objections is, to use your word on another thread, disingenuous. Have you ever strongly criticized someone out of the blue and had them respond happily???

As fans and admirers of Harlan, there is a natural tendency to see the man as perhaps more than he is, but there's also the understandable tendency to object when that person is under attack. Harlan obviously needs no defense from any of us, but when you come into his "territory" and directly challenge people who kind of like the guy to admit that he's an ass at times is asking for debate.

So why are you so surprised when you get it?

I'm not exactly fond of Ann Coulter, but I'd be a fool to go to her website when she's under attack about something she's said and insist her fans and admirers "see her for the bitch from Hell" that she is. You evidently aren't too fond of Harlan, but we are, even if it's from afar in many cases.

A deep dislike of Coulter is clearly my opinion (no point denying it). I might really dislike her fans. Hers might even be a website where contrarian views are usually allowed when couched in civility.

But if the only time I appear is when it's time to deride Coulter and snear at her fans and admirers, I am not really accomplishing much other than annoying the locals, am I?

I give you credit for some serious views and well-thought-out posts in the Forums, but it's at the point I need to reverse the debate and ask you:

Why???
Last edited by Moderator on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Jim Davis,

Good to know you haven't better use of your time. Good to know such comments as the one I posted rate on your priorities list.

But before I find the humility to answer your question - and I'd say there's a fair answer - what DO you know about my exchanges with Harlan?

Yeah. It has a limited history. But I had at least one close moment with Harlan, however brief that was. That's besides several conversations about personal matters I've had with him. And beyond that why should I owe someone like you a reply to your trademark assholery?

Don't bother answering the second question. Just answer the first. What the hell do YOU know about it? (Again: for the record, even if I'd never met him I do have the answer that seems to elude you)

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:42 pm

Even though this follow-up isn't necessary, since I didn't see Barber's post below until just now, he JUST provided the answer I had in my OWN mind, had I lowered myself to reply to Davis' "transparent" challenge.

And, Davis...

Just for the record, since your efforts to "bait" what you perceived as some would-be fanboy here, NO: Mine connection with Harlan has not been "acquaintances at best". He and I ARE acquaintances. Beyond that, I needn't share anything further with you, except that I would always offer Harlan my heart and sentiment, and I can justify it any time.

Now, why don't you go wipe up the toilet seat? It's far more productive than anything you've ever done here.

End Of Transmission

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:39 pm

The fact that I don't have the slightest idea what this thread is about must mean that I am fundamentally pure in heart. Or innocent. Or clueless.

This is not a request to be brought up to speed believe me. I just had one more posting in my quota and this happened to be it.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:33 pm

I must give credit to Barber for a brilliant post containing types of observations about behavior patterns I previously thought only I am capable of. This puts Steve in a completely new light for me.

Oh my God, maybe he knows something about my patterns as well...

Rob: If it's any comfort, may I quote Jim's post in the SPIDER forum:
You know, Jan, whatever my criticisms of HE's recent actions, I have to give him credit for one thing: he knew enough not to give you the time of day when you flew to LA recently. The man has your number, that is for sure.

I think if we suffer together from Harlan not liking/knowing us it is easier.

Return to “General”