Barack Obama - 44th President of the US of A

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Huffingtonpost says Obama may not give up renditions. Mike, I need your name...

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:55 pm

sorry,that's one too many missle,or one too few anti.depending on how you look at it.

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:59 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Huffingtonpost says Obama may not give up renditions. Mike, I need your name...

sorry frank,
perhaps later,did the huff analize this?link pleeeeeeese?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:37 am

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:30 am

How you liking that Change so far?

This was the guy Obama wanted as his health care czar. Wish I could say I expected better, but, really, I didn't. (And yes, I did vote for him.)
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:25 pm

I think it's both annoying and embarrassing. Daschle is, from all accounts, brilliantly capable of performing this role -- but as Taibbi noted in his original article he's also a whore.

Frankly, I was hoping Obama would tap someone from outside goveernment to tackle this.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Frankly, I was hoping Obama would tap someone from outside goveernment to tackle this.

Actually the way it's going you might get your wish!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:08 pm

I actually emailed the Obama people encouraging the appointment of Howard Dean to the job. I've had mixed feelings about him in the past, but I simply think his being a doctor makes him exceptional for this position.

Where my expectations for Obama are concerned, I EXPECT him to do SOME things I disagree with. I went in KNOWING he was more centrist than I'd like him to be. Hell, he's already done a few things that are bugging me. But the LONG-RUN picture is the issue, and the man is a brilliant chess-player. So, my predisposed reservations aside, with no NAIVE and PURIST expectations, I'm watching for and HOPING the bigger picture turns out to be the positive outcome in the end. I figure the greater bulk of his decisions will outweigh the ones I'm disappointed by.

NO President in history was really more than a centrist. NO President history made decisions we would have always gone along with. Not Jefferson, not Lincoln, not Teddy Roosevelt, not FDR, not Kennedy.

It only takes a TAD of pragmatic realism to acknowledge that. What I WISH for and what can expect have to stay in check, if only for what little sanity I have.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:09 pm

I actually emailed the Obama people encouraging the appointment of Howard Dean to the job. I've had mixed feelings about him in the past, but I simply think his being a doctor makes him exceptional for this position.

Where my expectations for Obama are concerned, I EXPECT him to do SOME things I disagree with. I went in KNOWING he was more centrist than I'd like him to be. Hell, he's already done a few things that are bugging me. But the LONG-RUN picture is the issue, and the man is a brilliant chess-player. So, my predisposed reservations aside, with no NAIVE and PURIST expectations, I'm watching for and HOPING the bigger picture turns out to be the positive outcome in the end. I figure the greater bulk of his decisions will outweigh the ones I'm disappointed by.

NO President in history was really more than a centrist. NO President history made decisions we would have always gone along with. Not Jefferson, not Lincoln, not Teddy Roosevelt, not FDR, not Kennedy.

It only takes a TAD of pragmatic realism to acknowledge that. What I WISH for and what can expect have to stay in check, if only for what little sanity I have.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:11 pm

That last post got interrupted:

What I wanted to finish saying, I actually emailed the Obama people encouraging the appointment of Howard Dean to the job. I've had mixed feelings about him in the past, but I simply think his being a doctor makes him exceptional for this position.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:13 pm

What I wanted to finish saying, I actually emailed the Obama people encouraging the appointment of Howard Dean to the job. I've had mixed feelings about him in the past, but I simply think his being a doctor makes him exceptional for this position.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:14 pm

kevinkirby

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:36 pm

The way the chief executive gets set up, there's not a whole lot of leeway from the previous administration. As we saw last week, the Raytheon lobbyists still follow the president around wherever he goes. Doubtless, the high tech weapons manufacturers constitute a technology advisory commitee left over from that last term. Executive order #7717727, amendment b (2006) clearly states that at no time must the president be without a high tech weapons lobbyist by his side.

It might not be until the second term that such orders can be revoked. If you look at some of Reagan's executive orders, there was a major purge of older executive orders but it didn't take place until 1986.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Obama is definitely being too "bipartisan" for MY taste.

I at least wish he would redirect the portion of tax cuts he placed at the plea of the Republicans in the stim package, since they voted against it, to more crucial needs.

Bush gave those bozos three giant tax cuts, totaling - what? - $2.4 trillion, and LOOK where we are!

The wealthy neither need nor deserve any further bows on THAT issue.

Still, I feel Obama is setting them up. The more obstacles those double-talking hypocrites try to toss at Obama, the more likely, hopefully, it will circle back at them like a heat-seeking missile.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Um.

Rob-o.

You want me to clean up some of the above??? Or did you post what you wanted, the way you wanted???
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”