Barack Obama - 44th President of the US of A

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:47 pm

Y'know.

Between Frank and Kevin's new avatars, my head may explode.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Steve,

I generally say things with clear intent.

Challenge my statements and tell me where you're confused!

On, perhaps, inviting those stupid-ass Republicans to continue scaling down the stimulus package with their "cut more taxes" spiel?

On, perhaps, my not-all-that-abstruse reference to Wall Street CEOs getting further favors? (HILARIOUSLY declaring, $500,000/year ISN'T much money!)

Or, perhaps, the multitudinous tax cuts Bush already handed them, yielding the outcome as we see it now?

How exactly did you miss any of THIS in the way I worded my post?

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Rob, I think Steve was referring to the fact that you made 5 posts somehow that appear to all say the same thing. Computer glitch, or twitching finger.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:19 pm

Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!Oh!

Yeah!Yeah!Yeah!Yeah!Yeah!Yeah!Yeah!Yeah!YEAH!

Some funky shit was going on. I've been on a laptop (as opposed to the desktop I generally use), and today, for whatever reason, every time
I was banging out my screeds the things posted before I was done.

Y'know: coitus interruptus!

I'd go back in and re-type the fucker.

Hence, I look like a drunk driver on the board today!

kevinkirby

Postby kevinkirby » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:58 pm

The fact is, that ain't even Obama up there yet. Not really. One of the final executive orders of Bushco essentially allows control of the "transition" until later in February.

Hence, perhaps, the continuing tax-cut/bribery and omnipresent missile pedlars.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:57 pm

More Change for ya. (Who wrote that fantasy post about Obama appointing Hilary Clinton as Special Prosecutor and having her look into Bush's crimes? 'Cause that's what it was--a fantasy.)
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Now I know why I like Hugo Chavez. At least he is fun to watch. Barack Obama, God bless him, is as boring as grass growing. I guess that's what we need.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:11 am

I didn't find his prime-time news conference or his Florida Town Hall Q&A boring at all but obviously YMMV.

I suspect he's still not done gaming the Congress on the stimulus package and I yet have hope that we shall see more state, municipal and school money re-incorporated.

-------------------------------------------------

I was also not happy with the Justice Department answers over rendition last week. I'd like to say something like, sure but let's see what's done on Obama's watch and that will be my last ditch fall back position - except we'll never really know and this IS his watch so the short term result here has been disappointing.

----------------------------------------------------

and since EVERY President has sworn to some extent, here in a moment of weakness is something I received from a friend that I am re-posting.

http://tinyurl.com/c67xz9

At least this demonstrates that he'll bring some style to the task. I like to think Lieberman got an earful of this when Obama walked him (backed him) into a corner of the Senate floor last year.

- Barney Dannelke
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:08 pm

The only thing that bothers me about Obama's speaking style is the way he so often pronounces the indefinite article "a" long.

Can somebody tell me whether that's a Chicago speaking style thing? To me, it sounds affected.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:41 pm

The Obama administration has barely gotten the seats warm. The Bush administration put in place people, policies and rules that means they still will have influence until the current administration sorts it all out.

And Obama will make mistakes.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Obama knew that was going to be the case.

My feeling and hope is he'll deal with all these facets, being the "chess player" that he is.

That townhall meeting he did the other day blew me away. Big difference when you let real people talk to the President from prescreened bullshit. The whole thing makes me feel even more contempt for Bush and his clan, if that's possible.

And Obama himself has already done some things I disagreed with. I EXPECT that. It's - as he said - the long run that will count. There is NO President who will not or DID not make mistakes.

And if Obama can't get us out of this mess no one can. ANYONE would have failed. Because the Conservative economic "solutions" were administered during Bush's reign 3 consecutive times; we KNOW their approach doesn't work. So, if Obama's approach doesn't work, WHAT'S the alternative?

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 pm

vote libertarian?

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:34 pm

No administration ever tried getting us closer to a Libertarian system than Bush.

Look where we are.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:59 pm

robochrist wrote:No administration ever tried getting us closer to a Libertarian system than Bush.

Look where we are.

read the libertarian platform
http://www.lp.org/platform
3.2 Internal Security and Individual Rights

The defense of the country requires that we have adequate intelligence to detect and to counter threats to domestic security. This requirement must not take priority over maintaining the civil liberties of our citizens. The Bill of Rights provides no exceptions for a time of war. Intelligence agencies that legitimately seek to preserve the security of the nation must be subject to oversight and transparency. We oppose the government's use of secret classifications to keep from the public information that it should have, especially that which shows that the government has violated the law.

3.3 International Affairs

American foreign policy should seek an America at peace with the world and its defense against attack from abroad. We would end the current U.S. government policy of foreign intervention, including military and economic aid. We recognize the right of all people to resist tyranny and defend themselves and their rights. We condemn the use of force, and especially the use of terrorism, against the innocent, regardless of whether such acts are committed by governments or by political or revolutionary groups

that ain't all bush,and it still puts democrats to the right.
we need (the world needs) to be free of the military industry.

get ready americans,next stop,afghanistan and pakistan ,maybe iran.

follow your bliss

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:07 pm

The disingenuously so-called ownership society - the cant of Libertarians - is a throwback to 19th century thinking. It's a mindset that only benefits the few, a policy that can never work.

Return to “General”