THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:39 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Someone said I want everything to be free. I never said that and this person knows it. Hyperbole goes both ways.

What "that person" said was "Free to Frank, letting someone else pay the bill". Which is exactly the position you've held for years of pointless debate.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:40 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Make Steamboat Willie public and I am happy.

Well, yeah, exactly.

Steamboat Willie is available in several free-to-public sources, and yet you still object.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:18 am

Barber wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:Make Steamboat Willie public and I am happy.

Well, yeah, exactly.

Steamboat Willie is available in several free-to-public sources, and yet you still object.

That's not it. Frank wants someone to be able to put Steamboat Willy in a new film with Fritz the Cat and bar the owners of both from protesting over the violation of copyright. He has no interest in watching Steamboat Willy for free, he wants it to be fodder for "new" work because he thinks Disney's ownership of it is somehow suppressing the work of wonderful new "original" artists.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

I want to stop Disney from having monopoly control of culture. I want Fantasia to be let out and offered free to use. It is high culture and should have lost its copyright years ago.

Exploitation is not freedom.

I want people to buy Harlan's work, I want people to buy Jello Biafra's work. But I also want a culture of sharing culture, culture that has no actual saleable value.

I don't want the police to go after people who do minor downloads. This is easy to get.

-----------

Stevie Wonder is going to boycott Florida. Not so radical, eh Ezra?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:18 am

I thought this conversation was over. What a dull load of crap.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Rick

If you assume that Frank is a chronological adult and a mental teenager, this is easier to ignore.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:50 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I want to stop Disney from having monopoly control of culture. I want Fantasia to be let out and offered free to use. It is high culture and should have lost its copyright years ago.

Exploitation is not freedom.

I want people to buy Harlan's work, I want people to buy Jello Biafra's work. But I also want a culture of sharing culture, culture that has no actual saleable value.

I don't want the police to go after people who do minor downloads. This is easy to get. ...

But in the interim you're willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Got it.

Let me know how the windmill tilting goes. Meanwhile I'll be busy getting my tattoo of a dolphin fucking a unicorn.

Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:39 pm

A quick PS to my Pavilion post about Harlan's "Street muscle": Central Casting?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Does it matter? The one closest to the podium was worth fighting nfor. Not that you'd know of course..

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:59 pm

In point of fact, Disney does not have a monopoly on culture, but they do have one on the things they bought or financed.

The issue is that Frank wants everyone to get for free what others have paid to produce.

That is what we call a morally bankrupt position. Or theft, by any other name.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 am

I still don't know what it is he can't do that taking away copyright from Disney would then allow him to do? Or is this all about putting spotty-faced little entitled shitheads in jail for disseminating illegal downloads?

Be that as it may, the idea of Disney "owning" culture is an interesting idea. How does that work? Especially since "Disney" as a cognomen for a specific kind of cultural motif is part of the culture, whether they get royalties for it or not?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 am

Pardon me for butting in, but isn't there a dedicated thread for the copyright discussion. Does every thread have to be The Frank Show?

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am

Chuck Messer wrote:Pardon me for butting in, but isn't there a dedicated thread for the copyright discussion. Does every thread have to be The Frank Show?

Chuck

Just so. But admittedly, it's hard, like a rash you don't know where you got. Remember Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club? "You couldn't ignore me if your tried."

Pointedly ignoring him would be just about as bad.

But I'm game.

So, like, we landed in Sacramento on the 4th at the tail end of a blistering heat wave. It was hitting 105 regularly. Kept us in the hotel pretty much for the whole convention. Fortunately, the hotel restaurant was pretty good (except for the breakfast buffet) and the bar more than acceptable.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 am

Chuck Messer wrote:Pardon me for butting in, but isn't there a dedicated thread for the copyright discussion. Does every thread have to be The Frank Show?

Chuck

Quite so.

Lets make this official, and accept my apologies for contributing to the thread drift.

Return to “General”