THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:37 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Why would you be hung over? Don't drink and drive fucker.

:)

Nah, somebuddy else drivin'! 8)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Life can throw you some seriously amazing good stuff if you let it.

The past eleven days have been totally, mind bogglingly amazing! It all started two weeks ago tomorrow. As you all know that is when I went to LA and met Harlan. Up until today that was enough to keep the ugulies at bay.

In the past twenty minutes I not only found out that there is an anonymous person who donated 150 dollars to my NaNoWriMo fundraising, assuring me a spot at the event, but s good friend just bought me a cup of coffee.

Now if I could only figure out how to make days like this happen a little bit more often....

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 am

Pay it forward, Lori lou.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:54 am

Be sure to tell us all about your experience, Lori. We'd all like to read about it.

I've taken the week off, and I definitely needed it. I've been working 10.5 to 11 hour days, and on graveyard shift, so it was really wearing me down. So far, I've been up in the mountains, though I didn't go to Mount Evans this time as they're completely rebuilding Squaw Pass Road, and even the overlooks have been commandeered by the construction company. I think I'll wait until next year. I did go to the Denver Art Museum yesterday. It was a good day to be indoors. Today I went to the Buffalo Bill Gravesite and Museum (and tourist trap) on a whim. The little museum was very interesting. I didn't know that Cody was so in favor of women's rights. Not just suffrage, but equal pay, etc. He also kept the leaders of the Ghost Dance cult out of prison while they worked on his show. The Ghost Dance got some people nervous, since it inspired the Lakota to resist their captivity and helped lead to the Wounded Knee Massacre. The original intent of the movement was one of peace.

After that, I went to the Little Bear Tavern in Evergreen and listened to a terrific live music show John Akal's Ultraphonic Orchestra. They played Dizzy Gillespie/Duke Ellington/Billy May type big band jazz, and did it well.

Tomorrow, with any luck, I'll go to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Forest. I don't think I'll be up to hiking up Flat Top Mountain, but I should be able to hike the other trails. I got some Deep Woods Off, since the last time I was there, I was half-eaten by mosquitos. Ravenous little buggers.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:10 am

Lori and Chuck~ Good to hear nice things are happening. Thanks for the smiles.
~~~~~~~~~

Just heard about JJ Cale. Not so much sad as wistful. Still, the loss of an artist is still a great loss.
~~~~~~~~

I have been called cynical, shallow even, because when I hear news, my mind turns it over and upside-down, thinking about it, and invariable comes up with something odd and different than the intended information. I'm sure a plethora of our creative Webderlanders do the same. I can't count how many times over the years I've made an offhand remark about why or how something may have happened, usually in jest, only to hear, "Why would you even say such a thing?" or "Why does your mind automatically go there?" I'm a slave to my imagination, no more in control of the ideas that come unbidden into it than I can stop myself from blinking.

Having said that, and while the speedboat crash in New York is a tragedy and sad; in my best Spillane-noir crime-thriller fashion, I have to wonder if I'm the only one who finds it odd that the only two people missing are the bride-to-be and the best man?

Or have I been watching too much Jonathan Creek?
The medium is the message.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:51 am

Chuck, our history should make us wary.

Watch that graveyard shift. Them's vampires in the moors.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:10 pm

One thing I should add about the Little Bear: It's a rustic place in the middle of rustic downtown Evergreen, Colorado. It came by it's rustic-ness naturally. Just about any wooden surface has generations of initials carved into it. Hanging above the stage is dozens of brassieres. Every kind of bra, all colors of the rainbow, though mostly white. Apparently, they have been flung at the stage from time to time. One of them is a red bra with three cups. There are two explanations I can think of.

One, is that it's a joke bra, intended to make patrons -- those who pay attention -- laugh and wonder.

Two is that someone came all the way from Tau Ceti IV to Evergreen, Colorado to eat pizza and listen to jazz.

I prefer explanation number two.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:28 pm

paul wrote:
Having said that, and while the speedboat crash in New York is a tragedy and sad; in my best Spillane-noir crime-thriller fashion, I have to wonder if I'm the only one who finds it odd that the only two people missing are the bride-to-be and the best man?

As they like to say on the internet nowadays: "Lol".

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 am

Had to change the look of my blog due to annoying "update" function. http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Staggering Into Eureka

Now there's a country song waiting to be written.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:44 pm

You mean a folk artist. Country artists tend to not be that deep.

Would make a decent Dylan title.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Nah the folkies wouldn't have the sense of humor it would take to write the song. They'd be too worried about being deep.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Being deep is not a bad thing.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Being deep is not a bad thing.

No it's not. Thinking you are despite what others have shown you......

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Return to “General”