THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:19 pm

FrankChurch wrote: Barber, I will do you one better--I think America is the single freest country ever! The elite media suck, but the history of media is pretty great on our side, especially when you focus on online media and independent.

Barber thought he had me. :)

No...I just find myself stunned that that's the first time you've ever said such a thing on the boards. You've disagreed with exactly that standpoint so often in the past.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:38 pm

I say it you just do not see it. My only beef is with corporate or elite media. The trouble is that most average Americans get their ideas formed mostly by this media.

Just the Israel issue alone is evidence of that. The media is so biased on that issue that even liberals like Bernie Sanders will not say a word and actually side with Israel.

Democracy Now shows how you report that issue. They have on critics of Israel who are jewish--when do you see that in elite media?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:56 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I say it you just do not see it.

Show us a few instances, Franklin. I missed them too.

Curious.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Steve - I tend to think of it as a donut, but that's more because of our local donut chain: very easy to consider it the Shipley on the Edge of Forever.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:49 pm

FinderDoug wrote:Steve - I tend to think of it as a donut, but that's more because of our local donut chain: very easy to consider it the Shipley on the Edge of Forever.

Yeah, most people equate it to a donut, but the oblong shape is more reminiscent of something else. Definitely not a bagel either, but bagel is a funnier word than donut. It does kinda look more like a rough-edged Old Fashioned donut...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Neo-cons were at once marxists, so it fits--extremism meet extremism.

Norman Podhoretz, editor of the premier neoconservative journal COMMENTARY for 30 years, was never a Marxist. You can look it up.

FrankChurch wrote:It looks more like a womb, since bagels do not look like that, unless they are badly made. lol.

Clearly Frank has never seen a flagel -- a flat bagel -- which is available in any good bagel place in New York, such as the one two blocks from my home. They're delicious.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:02 am

Nason, do me a favor and vote for Zepher Teachout.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:03 pm

Who?
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:49 pm

Spellcheck!

It's Z-e-p-h-y-r Teachout. I'd never heard of her either.

From wikipedia:

Zephyr Rain Teachout is an Associate Professor of Law at Fordham University. In 2014 she is running against Andrew Cuomo for the Democratic Party nomination for Governor of New York.

I'd vote for her just because of her wonderful name.

Don't laugh but I didn't have a bagel until I was dang near 30 years old. Hey what can I say I was born and raised in Georgia. We had buttered biscuits and slabs of bacon and big bowls of grits. That's why southern men drop dead when they're 50.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:53 pm

A good friend of mine who lives in a suburb of Atlanta, Alpharetta, says that there's now a place nearby that makes superb bagels. Apparently the lines are always long.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:16 pm

FinderDoug wrote:... the Shipley on the Edge of Forever.

Doug. No. Just... ow. :roll: :D
The medium is the message.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:09 am

Bagels? I have never heard of one. Therefore, they cannot be tasty. Do not try to change my mind. I am too smart for that.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:34 am

No sweat, K-dog - more bagels for the rest of us. :P

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:24 am

George Will finally gets it right:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/2 ... 24662.html

When you demonize 8 year olds with teddy bears you know parts of the right are evil at best.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:29 pm

Ray Rice needs to be fired. If you punch your girlfriend in the face you should not make millions running with a football. Punch his parking ticket and put him in the dock. Now I know why I like the Bengals.

The NFL is greedcentral.

Return to “General”