THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:10 pm

And while I was writing that, I processed truck after truck after truck. A lot of roofing contractors coming in to dump construction demo material in their battered old trucks.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:44 am

A lot of roofing contractors coming in to dump construction demo material in their battered old trucks.

For which all the post-apocalypse archeologists a thousand years from now will be extremely grateful.

I've been struck by the overall response to Robin Williams' death. Notables pass all the time but this seems to have tapped a stream of genuine sadness. It reminds me of the time after the murder of John Lennon in a way. It makes me sad even though I didn't know the guy and didn't even always appreciate his sense of humor. (My favorite roles he played in movies were the semi-serious stuff, Fisher KIng, that kind of thing. Although he was great on talk shows for sure.) But there's something uneasy about it too. Perhaps even a little scary. If all he had going for him couldn't save him what chance do the rest of us have when we ever find ourselves alone and in the dark? We needed Williams to be there to help the rest of us make it through the black and now he's gone cause it swallowed him up.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:42 am

You don't want to know what Rush Limbaugh said. I was going to post it on the Pav but know better.

He is pure evil scum.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:59 am

FrankChurch wrote:You don't want to know what Rush Limbaugh said. I was going to post it on the Pav but know better.

He is pure evil scum.

You don't do Facebook, Frank, but here was my comment upon Limbaugh yesterday.

I've seen some of the remarks made today regarding Robin Williams' death from such intellectual luminaries as Rush Limbaugh and others of his ilk.

Let me be clear, particularly to my friends who believe he may speak the truth.

Limbaugh can go ram himself, backwards, on the sharpest and most rusty object in his arsenal, and fuck himself into oblivion. His words were wrong, thoroughly vile, and beyond any kind of defense or understanding.

Do I make myself clear? Go ahead. Argue with me.

Fuck him, and anyone who thinks like he does. If that includes any of my friends, consider yourself warned.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:30 am

Rush is a living, breathing example of a shit-heel, and one of the few people who I hope gets his melon taken clean off when the karmic wheel comes back around.

Keendawg

Postby Keendawg » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:12 pm

FrankChurch wrote:You don't want to know what Rush Limbaugh said. I was going to post it on the Pav but know better.

That is correct.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm shocked at the amount of people who bugged Harlan. With his keen insight on popular culture he will find out about Rush soon. He could actually do something, I am not kidding.

Missouri is scaring me as well.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Zat you Keeney?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:47 pm

There are many reasons Missouri is a scary place, but if you're referring to the incidents in Ferguson of this past week, chill. Fergusson is a small community north of St. Louis with a tiny police department (compared to others) where an asshole shot someone and some "opportunists" in the neighborhood took advantage of a peaceful protest to burn down a QT and loot businesses, assuming the protest was, perhaps, justification for acting like ill-disciplined and rather selfish children. The police response was over the top but not altogether hard to understand and cooler heads are beginning---beginning---to prevail.

But this is how shit gets blown out of proportion---"Missouri is scaring me as well"---as if the entire state is experiencing and participating in this all at the same time and maybe condones it. This is an unfortunate, lousy series of incidents, but rhetoric like that is like gasoline on the social media bonfire. Chill. This isn't Gaza. Given the tenor of that comment, it might be said Gaza isn't Gaza, either.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm shocked at the amount of people who bugged Harlan.
'Bugged' assumes a negative connotation that's not in evidence. Harlan has a lot of friends. If you lost a good friend - which is what Robin and Harlan were - even in the turmoil of your emotions, wouldn't you like to know that YOU weren't as alone as such a thing feels?
With his keen insight on popular culture he will find out about Rush soon. He could actually do something, I am not kidding.
Your fixation on Harlan discovering the words of that shitbag in the midst of his grief is disturbing. Why harp on it?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Not sure why I feel compelled to defend this, but...

I was one of those who "bugged" Harlan. At first, I was not going to call. At least the first or even second day. But two things keep at me: what if he wants to talk, to walk through it? And what if by not calling it's interpreted that I don't care enough to pick up the phone.

Please do not consider this bragging or otherwise flaunting anything, but Harlan and Susan have become very close friends of ours. And, as close friends, Cris and I reacted properly. Like Josh, like Patton, like Neil Gaiman.

Like Chris Ryall and others.

I kept it very brief. I said, flat out, I was not going to ask any stupid questions ("You okay?" "How's Susan" "Can I do anything?"). These are well-meant but hollow platitudes. He talked. I listened. Then, after a moment or three he welled up and begged off. I said I understood, but that he should know a lot of people were thinking of him, not just us. And that we stood by his side as needed.

I don't think it bugged him. It showed a lot of people think about him and wanted him to know it.

As Cris put it: "How would you feel if there were a public tragedy that impacted you directly and the phone didn't ring? How alone would you feel?"

So, yeah. Overwhelming. But so is the news he gets on a seemingly everyday basis.

So, I won't apologize for calling for two minutes. Nor do I think he would want me to.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Knowing Harlan's state of mind and his world renowned lack of patience I thought all those calls might set him off. Good to see he took it all in stride.

Barber, what is the secret to Harlan friendship? What do you have that the rest of us lack? :)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Mark, there brews a major civil rights issue, but I will leave it at that for now.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:08 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, what is the secret to Harlan friendship? What do you have that the rest of us lack? :)

I was worried it might come off that way. You might just as well ask why Neocon Jim and I are friends. Or Doug and I. Or countless others. Things click. We can be ourselves.

I don't know the answer. As with all friendships, it simply happened.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:15 pm

What do you all think of this O'Reilly critique; it didn't bother me but it might bother some of you here:

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/i ... 7615403001

I may say the same thing but I am connected to Harlan and he is connected to Robin. I also find Robin to be unique.

-------

I really am concerned about Nason.

Return to “General”