THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Browsing in a bookstore just t'other day (yeah I'm one of the last 15 people who still does that) I came upon a new hagiography (and I use the word advisedly) of James Cameron by someone named Rebecca Keegan, entitled THE FUTURIST. Knowing the history of HE's association with Mr Cameron I thumbed to the index and looked for the E's. Yep there he was, page 54. Ms Keegan recounts the story with some interesting deletions. No Starlog interview. Only a quote from Cameron about a "nuisance" lawsuit and something about what a card that Ellison is. Brush fly off shoulder, genius unbound!

http://www.amazon.com/Futurist-Life-Fil ... 395&sr=1-1

Now I thought about posting about it over at the Pavillion but why dredge up this old stuff and unnecessarily antagonize our esteemed host? The truth is out there, to coin a phrase.

What I think I will do is post a review of this "biography" at Amazon and point out that the movie Cameron first made his reputation on is a direct lift from a better, talented writer. You know, stick in the anthill?

If one of you who knows Mr Ellison more intimately than me wants to tell him about this fearsome tome, please do so. But discretion is the better part and it should come from one of you, not I. Or me.

Following the logic of financial if not artistic success, Cameron has achieved the glorious status of Roddenberryhood and none may say nay...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:14 am

Funny. All one ever has to do to be called a genius is make a little money.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Harlan really blew through that money. Runz.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Harlan really blew through that money. Runz.

Well, at least we know it was only money Harlan blew, Frank. Sink me, but it seems you blow a lot too.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:19 pm

Now Gwynnie, that is not being very nice. I am sure Frank was just trying to help that sheep.... :twisted:

The term genius is one I think that is imprecise at best. Cameron does have a unique visual style and you cannot deny that the man can create a film that audiences enjoy. The last two films of his are now #1 and 2 on the all time box office gross listing (and yes I know that, if adjusted for inflation, Gone with the Wind would be #1 by a wide margin, just work with me here, OK). However, his monumental ego, which dwarfs Lithuania, has gottne him into big trouble. I do wonder if there will be any plagarism charges filed against him from Avatar but in the end he will just write a check and walk away

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:30 pm

markabaddon wrote:Now Gwynnie, that is not being very nice. I am sure Frank was just trying to help that sheep.... :twisted:

Sink me! But I was thinkin' of hot air! But the sheep...yes, I am getting a picture of that...

markabaddon wrote:The term genius is one I think that is imprecise at best. Cameron does have a unique visual style and you cannot deny that the man can create a film that audiences enjoy. The last two films of his are now #1 and 2 on the all time box office gross listing (and yes I know that, if adjusted for inflation, Gone with the Wind would be #1 by a wide margin, just work with me here, OK). However, his monumental ego, which dwarfs Lithuania, has gotten him into big trouble. I do wonder if there will be any plagiarism charges filed against him from Avatar but in the end he will just write a check and walk away

I just hate his lousy scripts. :twisted: I love his cinematographers and ability to pick talent with tremendous screen presence. I think his ability to surround himself with critical talent is what makes him. And yes, his ego makes Lithuania seem like, well, Lithuania.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:50 pm

The best selling author of the 19th Century was a gentleman named Edward Bulwer-Lytton ("It was a dark and stormy night...") who mostly wrote romances set in ancient Greece and Rome. Ever heard of him?

The English poet/painter William Blake lived in obscurity, unknown in his lifetime outside a small circle of friends. He wasn't widely known untll the 1930s when he was championed by William Butler Yeats and his circle of admirers. Now he is tought to students in every school in the western world and his paintings are the prize of every museum who possesses any of them.

There's a reason the original movie THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is loved and admired 60 years later, and in five years few will even remember that the recent remake even exists. And it has nothing to do with special effects.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Top grossing films (U.S.) in 1942
Rank Title
1. Mrs. Miniver
2. Reap the Wild Wind
3. Random Harvest
4. Yankee Doodle Dandy
5. Road to Morocco
6. This Gun for Hire
7. Somewhere I'll Find You
8. Bambi
9. The Pride of the Yankees
10. Woman of the Year

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1942_in_film

Another film was released that year, but didn't win, place, or show: CASABLANCA. :lol: And who here can quote lines (without looking them up on imdb.com) from Mrs. Miniver, Reap the Wild Wind, or Random Harvest?
STAR WARS (1977)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:58 am

Cameron stole all his ideas, not just from Unca Harlan. We all know Avatar is a direct rip-off of Eric Cartman's memoir My Life With the Smurfs.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Steve Evil, where are you on my Israel rant? I know you agree with me. Sucker. lol

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Mrs. Miniver?

I think this movie was the subject of a joke I didn't get on an old MASH episode. Now I'm curious. I'll have to track it down.

http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Miniver-Greer ... 258&sr=1-1

Don't know much about Greer Garson. My favorite Walter Pidgeon movie is MAN HUNT from Fritz Lang.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Hunt-Walter-P ... 443&sr=1-2

George Sanders makes a great Nazi.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:51 am

Top grossing films (Germany) in 1942
1. Rise of a Nation
2. Fighting Spirit
3. The Road to Victory
4. Paris, My New Home
5. Leni Riefenstahl's Glory Days
6. Mission Accomplished
7. Jew Hunter Brigade 'Foxhound' of Berlin
8. The Goebbels Diaries: 1934
9. Enigma: A Success Story
10. The Half-Aryan

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:47 am

FrankChurch wrote:Steve Evil, where are you on my Israel rant? I know you agree with me. Sucker. lol

Calling them "sucker" is a funny way to win alies. I've expounded my opinion on Israel in great detail on these boards already and feel I would just be repeating myself at this point. The settlements have to go, the wall has to come down, the refugees have to be compensated, and the "true believers" from all corners - Muslim, Jewish and Christian, have to shut up. How's that?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am

Jan wrote:
Top grossing films (Germany) in 1942
1. Rise of a Nation
2. Fighting Spirit
3. The Road to Victory
4. Paris, My New Home
5. Leni Riefenstahl's Glory Days
6. Mission Accomplished
7. Jew Hunter Brigade 'Foxhound' of Berlin
8. The Goebbels Diaries: 1934
9. Enigma: A Success Story
10. The Half-Aryan

I'm howling.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Is that a real list Jan? lol

To be fair, it's not like they had a choice of films.

Return to “General”