THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Jan

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Frank, respectfully, this is the Pavilion Annex, not whatever you think it is. I suggest, for the umteenth time, that you get your bearings and post Random Stuff where it fits. Let's let this one thread not be a complete turn-off for visitors. No need to thank me for the reminder, just do it. It's not only your messages (some of them) but the fact that they drag everything else down with them over time, in my estimation.

Good night folks! (Yes, not a great way to end the day.)

By the way, Barber, if they were hard of hearing, give them a break. No respect. Be glad you have good hearing.

Steve Barber - Monday, March 15 2010 14:56:50 wrote:They weren't arguing. They were hard of hearing. They weren't mentally disabled.

Haha.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Yeah, Jan, I caught that little misprint. They WERE NOT hard of hearing. Too little, too late.

*sigh*

BTW - Frank wasn't being non-sequitor. David mentioned being vegetarian and Frank, quite rightly, remembered David being at Pink's for Hot Dogs many moons ago (as were you, on a different day). I believe Mr. Loftus may have had the veggie dog. More assuredly, I DO remember a very literate and impressive narrative reading from Le David in the back seat of my SUV as we -- an itinerant group of Webderlanders made up of David, Keith Cramer, FinderDoug, WebmasterRick and myself -- drove DOWN Sunset and UP the 405).

But I digress.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:26 am

Pink's has a veggie dog. Good to know

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:51 am

Hey there. I'm Kafkahead, I'm 17 and a big big fan of the works of Mr. Ellison. I'm an amateur writer that writes intesively and says "Fuck you" to people who demand freebies, and all because of Harlan.

I first learned about the work of Harlan Ellison when I bought a science fiction anthology called "Masterpieces". It was fine selection of stories, chosen by Orson Scott Card, and divided into three categories: The Golden Age, The New Wave and the Media Generation. And the first story to pop up in the New Wave section was " "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Tick-tock Man". The amusing title and description of Harlan's work was enough to catch my attention and grasp it tightly, like a boa from the jungle. I read it in one sitting. After I was done, I had to lie down...It wasn't "1984" or "Brave New World", but something along the same lines, where the very spirit of rebellion was celebrated as a source of powerful criticism against an opressive system.
No sooner was I thinking to myself "I need more of this stuff" then I managed to scrounge on the internet a PDF version of "I Have No Mouth and I must scream". Again, I read the words so carefully typed by Mr. Ellison, and gaped at the horror of the story, at the atrocities of AM and his five prisoners. This was clearly a man that knew how to move people. So I looked for more. I looked so hard, that I eventually managed to buy from amazon a copy of "Dreams with sharp Teeth". And I learned more about the man than I could ever know in a lifetime of research. It was his "Pay the Writer" rant that moved me the most, hitting that little crack in the ceiling of my mind and shattering it, so that I could begin some actual writing, instead of wishful thinking about writing. Because of him, I'm now working on three different stories and trying to find a magazine that will buy them, so I can have a source of income before I finish my Senior year. And for that, I have to say: thanks, Harlan.

Hope you'll reply to this, you magnificent human.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:15 am

Kafkahead - Welcome to the Forums! I am glad you decided to join us.

Please make yourself at home. I am sad to say that Harlan doesn't come over to this side of the site, so if you'd like his comments on something you'll have to address him on the Pavilion.

But the rest of us are here and welcome you.

Steve B

Ye Olde Moderator
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:44 am

Yeah Kafkahead welcome aboard.

Jan! What? You don't like Celebrity Deathwatch? I would imagine that everyone who posts or reads the Pavillion has seen and enjoyed at least one movie that included Peter Graves. Surely that is enough to justify making a few appreciative comments for a day or two don't you think?

No?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:59 am

Welcome, Kafkahead! I see you found the Pavilion. Excellent.

In appreciation of Peter Graves: There was a time when I made my own novelty outgoing messages for my answering machine. One of the best, if I may say so, was this:

"Hello, I'm Peter Graves. Chuck Messer's not available right now, so your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to leave a message after the beep.

Normally these jobs are handled by my Impossible Missions task force, while I sit on my duff, safe at home, sipping a pina colatta.

But, they're all dead now, so it's up to you.

This machine will self-destruct after the warranty expires."

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 pm

Jan! What? You don't like Celebrity Deathwatch?

Oh, that's what it is! Hahaha.

Frankly, I think we should keep the corpses out of Harlan's sight. There are enough friends of his that have died or are in bad health, and he's nearing old age himself; I don't know where this idea comes from that everyone feels invited to rub death under our nose, and Harlan's, every week. Graves death was in the news - enough. When it hits a friend of Harlan's, different story. (Of course no one will listen to me, as usual, so don't worry.)

Barber, my comments to Frank had almost nothing to do with his last message. But if you said that as an excuse to talk about one of them gatherings at Pink's, more power to you. Pink's is cool. I could use one of those hot dogs now. And onion rings. (The one time I was there I had to share them. And I don't even remember if they were split quite correctly.)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:19 pm

As long as Jan is fair and goes after everybody. Germany has very good newspapers, by the way. Kiss.

----------

Kafkahead, hey kid. Portugal is amazing. Be proud you live there.

Jello Biafra was there and didn't like the pollution but I digress.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Jan -

You can blow bubbles in your tar pit all you want, but eulogies pop up in the Pav quite regularly - regardless of whether or not they were Harlan's own acquaintances - and, clearly, they will continue to do so.

Actors, et al, are all part of an industry Harlan has been connected with for 50 years.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Actors, et al, are all part of an industry Harlan has been connected with for 50 years.

Yeah and they're dropping like flies.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Chuck -

I've been "discovering" Get Smart in reruns over the last year, and they have one episode parodying that very recorder - except that the thing skips and repeats the "Mission" despite the club Max applies over and over to stop it - until it blows up the whole room; and when it does blow up the ONLY thing that hasn't been destroyed is that fucking recorder! Max - charred by the detonation - gives up and just tucks it under his jacket as it continues repeating the "Mission", and walks out in a daze.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:16 pm

"Yeah, and they're dropping like flies"

That they are.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Koenig is a different situation since he has not acted in a while and he was a true friend of H, not just some famous name that walks off into the mist.

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:37 pm

but eulogies pop up in the Pav quite regularly

Good God, I hadn't noticed.

and, clearly, they will continue to do so.

Congratulations then.

That's your reasoning? For why it's a good idea to keep eulogizing people Harlan doesn't know? You know how big the industry is?

The whole eulogizing thing provides, for many people, just an excuse to gossip or to show their knowledge of movies, has nothing to do with doing Harlan anything good.

Frank - Who said anything about Koenig or other friends of Harlan's?

Return to “General”