THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:46 pm

Jan, I will agree that the Peter Graves stuff has gone a little crazy. Graves was talented but no great actor. His loss means something but not really to me since I didn't know him, beyond him being in the popular culture.

Zinn on the other hand is different since he was a vital civil rights hero. Right up there with MLK.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Speaking for myself, I just wanted to clean up the gaffes for Mary a bit re: Airplane!.

Had she identified the right lines with the right actors I wouldn't even gotten into it.

The only time I myself have ever seen Peter Graves TRULY act was in Stalag 17. Before running that film I wouldn't have thought him capable of it.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:26 pm

I'll say this for the choice made by the Zuckers and Peter Graves:

Having a wooden tv actor talk like a total creep, completely straight-faced, gave immortality to the whole team!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:14 pm

The only time I myself have ever seen Peter Graves TRULY act was in Stalag 17. Before running that film I wouldn't have thought him capable of it.

Go watch RED PLANET MARS. It's art man. The scene where the laboratory blows up never fails to move me to tears.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Red Planet Mars...

Isn't that the one where we learn a bunch of God-lovin' Christians live on Mars?

(Or was that one with Gene Barry?)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:59 am

Red Planet Mars...
Isn't that the one where we learn a bunch of God-lovin' Christians live on Mars?
(Or was that one with Gene Barry?)

You're probably thinking of THE 27TH DAY another 50s SF cold war flick. More evil Russkees.

RED PLANET MARS (1952), not to be confused with ANGRY RED PLANET (1960) or RED PLANET (2000), is the one where Graves plays a scientist who builds a radio to receive messages from Mars. Any yeah the messages have a decidedly King James Version flavor. Much confusion ensues on both sides of the Iron Curtain. This flick is full of instantly recognizable character actors; Herbert Berghof as the evil ex-Nazi scientist who built the prototype of the radio, Walter Sande as the old Navy Admiral, Willis Bouchey as the president who is played as a combination Eisenhower and Billy Graham, and good ole Morris Ankrum, not a general here but the Secretary of Defense.

Of course it's all bologna but like Stephen King said, if you didn't have a taste for balogna you wouldn't be watching this stuff in the first place.

ps THE 27TH DAY is itself pretty good, spoiled only by a nauseatingly sanctimonius ending, but if the ending of WAR OF THE WORLDS where they gaze reverently towards the sky as church bells peal doesn't make you puke this one won't either.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:45 pm

There. Did it again, gave Harlan an epiphany.

And what good does Rob ever do?

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Where, who, what, why? Harlan with a new epiphany? This i must see! Lemme see! Lemme see! :o

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:10 pm

"And what good does Rob ever do?"

You're right. You're right.

I've no chance against the dreaded epiphany!

I'll take that tar pit I handed you earlier and use it myself!

See, Robbie just doesn't like bein' pushed around. You sez "stop doing that", and Robbie goes delinquent. Robbie is spoiled, recalcitrant, sassy, narcissistic, self-absorbed, pugilistic, jejune, imperious, truculent, and LOUD! Robbie is but curdled white trash. A dried up orange peel on the sidewalk.

Where's the booze? I'm no good!

swp

Postby swp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Kafkahead wrote:Where, who, what, why? Harlan with a new epiphany? This i must see! Lemme see! Lemme see! :o

well, I did try to warn ya kiddo. and you went ahead and fanboy'd yourself in front of HE and then comitted a couple of sins on top by asking that which has been beaten mightily nay unto death over in the ADDP despite my warning of "don't."
swp

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:42 pm

Well, I read the essay. That was...strong, to tell you the truth. But very blunt and sticks to the point. No wonder he doesn't want them...there's already a million of em pestering him every now and then! Think I should apologize to him? I mean, I did annoy him, after all. And besides, I think I might stick to sending the stories to magazines and friends...Let the professionals rest. Know what I mean?
I feel kinda bad about asking for feedback, right now...

swp

Postby swp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:03 pm

relax, you're fine.

just don't mention book burning or other taboo subjects and you'll be fine.
swp

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Yeah K, you did the important thing, you listened and acted accordingly. I don't think HE is annoyed at you. That would be if you didn't listen and didn't take his advice.

Just curious. Do you write in Portuguese or English?

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:02 am

Thanks, Ezra. Just a bit worried. HE's got a certain reputation for being grumpy (excuse me for being captain obvious here for a couple of seconds), many times with good reason. I just didn't wanna look like a jackass. Anyways, I write in both portuguese and English, though truth be told, English is much more challenging and fun than portuguese, considering the amounts of people in this country who think that science fiction is crap that doesn't make you "a real man" and is instead material for babbling brats.
It's frustrating to know that, whereas in the U.S, there are at least five or six fiction magazines on the market (at least, to my knowledge), here in Portugal you only find one that updates irregularly and that already shows narrative decay, along with genre shift (moving from space opera and respectable SF to readymade soap operas). It just gets on my nerves I'll never get recognized here, not even by the portuguese SF fandom (already dwindling and disappearing into oblivion). Trust me, I'd email any of you folks any of my story scraps (most of them still in completion) just so I could hear from you (that is of course, if you were interested on them, I'm not exactly going to forcefully shove it down your throat and make you digest the text). Even SF sales pale before the "gleaming wonder" that is Twilight...Seriously, I'm not making this up.
So, I'll keep writing and type all of my words till I'm dead and gone, and I'm always gonna try and sell my stories, even if it takes me forever. I'll aim for the Hugo and the Nebula. Sorry for the rant, Ezra, but it's something that was sired pretty much by the frustration of never getting recognized here. Thanks for asking.

P.S: The Nebula bit of the rant might seem a bit egocentric, but believe me, I need this kind of goal to work hard enough, otherwise I wouldn't know what to do.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:46 am

Kafka - As Steve Perry and Ezra note, don't worry about it. I don't usually mention private conversations around here, but I talked to Harlan last night (about a completely different topic) and your post came up. I told him that you'd been told not to put up any of your work, but otherwise seemed like a good guy. He laughed -- a good sign -- then said he was impressed with you so far and is pleased you'd started posting. He called you "a sharp cookie".

He likes you, just don't piss him off....

8)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”