THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Jan

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:06 am

Duane, depending on the search terms, Google brings up mostly useless results from the Pavilion/Archives and it takes a little more advance knowledge to benefit from them. It would be misleading to put a Google bar on the P. and waste people's time.

In any case, it's very rare that so many already-answered questions turn up at the same time. This wasn't so much a newbie as a guy writing a kind of questionaire book, if I recall correctly. Otherwise we could have given him brief answers ourselves from memory. That is generally the best solution, as long as one of the people who know Harlan well do it. (I've done it a number of times and it was no trouble.)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 am

What inane questions to ask! You've got one of the best fantasists of the latter half of the 20th century and that's all you can think to ask? Interview 101 survey questions?

I would find it completely fascinating to hear HE on Poe, Kafka and Borges but to have that conversation it would require that the questioner have actually read perceptively of these authors. By far HE's literary output is the most important thing but you wouldn't know it from the Pavillion where the focus seems to be on film and comic books, part of HE's work but much less important than the stories and essays. (The Fly? Space:1999? Jeez...)

One Jeffty is Five or All the Lies that are My Life is worth more than every comic book ever printed or every TV show ever produced.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

swp

Postby swp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:12 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:By far HE's literary output is the most important thing but you wouldn't know it from the Pavillion where the focus seems to be on film and comic books

Actually, I am told -- from an outsiders perspective -- that the ADDP is really just a place for people to announce the death of yet another person that most people have never heard of. and to preach to the choir about things the regulars all already think or agree upon. plus whatever Frank spews out.

This particular outsider also doesn't like the format, seeing it as akin to a chat room for people who don't type very fast. Yes, I shuddered when they said that. So much for bringing culture to the masses...
swp

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:34 am

Okay, two trains of thought.

1) Why aren't you guys posting exactly those posts you feel ought to be posted on the Pav?

2) In Harlan's absence -- or even in his presence -- it is what it is. He's not unhappy with it, nor does Rick seem to be. Since it's "Harlan's" place. He has, on many occasions, lauded the political debate as "appropriate". As for the SPACE:1999 -- you may not like the show, and may look down your nose at the humor postings about a minor player in an old tv show pulling us through puberty, but it's certainly more appropriate than a discussion of soap operas.

If you feel it does not have relevance, then add it yourselves.

Third train of thought, this one on the questions asked on the Pav: No doubt that was a badly lost opportunity. Roughly on the same order of magnitude of Kennedy's recent botched Martin Landau interview (which beget the current Zienia Merton jazzfest, BTW). In journalism, you do not make a name for yourself by rehashing what has already been asked. You do it by getting new and fresh information that people will want to read. Serious error, and a harsh lesson for the person seeking the answers to his Q&A.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 am

Barber, exactly. We control what we write on the Pav. Why waste that one day posting thingie on some crap about a dumb skiffy teevee show or the latest celebrity death, unless Harlan was friends with said person. But even then it doesn't mean you have to write Harlan an essay telling him how sorry you are.

At least I mention things that are important, like politics. I do not spew. Just because certain people want to live in a crackerjack box is beyond me.

How about we take a month off from mentioning comic books.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Frank

Hows about this... Seeing as how it's the Dining Pavilion, why don't we treat it as such.

I've never been to a dinner party where the entire conversation has been on the same subject all the time. Sure, you get important things talked about by the table. But most the time it's little groups talking about whatever suits their fancy. Case in point. I was the one Barber was referring to when he said "..., and may look down your nose at the humor postings about a minor player in an old tv show pulling us through puberty..." I thought that it may have made HE feel a little better. Did it? I'll never know. He didn't say anything about it, and neither did anyone else. But, I have the right to put it out there. And you have the right to ignore it or read it as you see fit.

Barber: You do realize that with some of the favoritism that goes on at the Pavy some of us would just rather avoid posting there all together. That and some of the male posturing (pork swording as gwynnie and I like to call it) really makes it hard to be heard if you aren't in the "in crowd"

I've written there 4 times, once got a nice response from Unca Harlan about the guy who did the illustrations for the illustratied version of Ticktock Man.... twice I've been ignored and once I got a slight slap on the wrist the other time.

I'm not thin skinned, but come on... Not the most welcoming of responses, wouldn't you say?

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Always remember, Frank is above any and ALL topics, particularly those he knows nothing about! (Get it? Get it?)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 pm

I certainly know more than know it all college boys.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Most of the tea party people are college educated. Wink.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:24 pm

"I certainly know more than know it all college boys."

That's...incredibly obvious.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 pm

It's late and I'm tired and I should be lesson planning. How else to justify typing in to the security question "I Have no Mouth, and I Must Susan"? It always helps to read before you type.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:28 pm

I do post occasionally over in the Pavillion. My impression is that it mostly serves as a way for HE to maintain contact with friends spread out all over. As such I feel like a guest who shouldn't take advantage or overstay his welcome.

Lori your perspective on "pork swording" is interesting - and funny. It's a relief to know that none of that goes on over on this side. :wink:

I don't look down on anything. It's just that if I had HE's attention I wouldn't waste it asking about which episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea he wrote.

Steve Evil what subject do you teach?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Steve Evil,

"You must 'SUSAN'??

You'd better check with Harlan before you do THAT!!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Ezra, say something powerful, something that will knock Harlan on his ass and he will respond in kind. Remember, this is a gent who knows some of the top prose stylists on God's green earth.

Adam Castro doesn't count. Runz.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:36 pm

I think, I'm not suggesting it for the first time, but can Rob and Frank (and perhaps others) move the banter out of here permanently? (I think, I forgot to say permanently last time.) It's immense fun for us, but means little to visitors from the P. and interrupts our attempts at discussion because this is all linear. I mean, check out the tops of this and the last page and look at the bottom of the previous ones. There is no carry-over. Something develops, then it's gone again. One-liners. Please guys, be good. Move the discussion forward or use other threads.

And while I'm at it again: I can't believe there are people who can't - still can't - collect the "thoughts" they have within two minutes all into a single freaking posting. Said this before too. Unbelievable. Don't tell me I expect too much.

*looks at the pistol in his drawer* *a tense moment passes* *closes drawer*

Lori, what male posturing? In Barber's defense, I think he's only trying to make his little daily contributions. I agree that this has led to some favoritism, but eventually Harlan will realize that he remembers nothing Barber ever said or wrote.

Really, though, Harlan just simply doesn't answer all questions or react to everything, mostly for time and sanity reasons. There are types of questions he's more likely to answer than others, but there are also times he's simply in the mood to respond to something rather random. With Harlan, no one here considers himself part of the in-crowd, most likely not even Peluquero who has a certain amount of contact with him. We would all be discouraged pretty soon if we were waiting to be part of the in-crowd.

Return to “General”