THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard Keeney

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Richard Keeney » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:12 pm

was that a pin...?
"It would be interesting to know what it is men are most afraid of. Taking a new step, uttering a new word is what they fear most."
--F. Dostoievsky, from CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

Richard Keeney

Postby Richard Keeney » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:00 pm

...dropping?
"It would be interesting to know what it is men are most afraid of. Taking a new step, uttering a new word is what they fear most."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:13 am

No, Rick. Sorry, that was the sound of a faceful of waterhose at the end of a sales month. If I had an answer for your question there would not be a box of perhaps 200 books sitting in my middle bedroom at the moment awaiting a trip to donate them to the VA. Obviously this would not be your best recourse.

You might consider putting the lot up on eBay as a "mystery lot" of books, noting some of the more prizable volumes by name (or noting some of them here for the collectors). If some of them are things Harlan might like you might also put a note on the Pav with specifics.

I think what you're planning is commendable, very kindhearted, but I've found that moving large lots of books is nearly impossible, since virtually everyone wants SOME of them, but not ALL of them.

Unless you're also using this as a form of Spring cleaning, I think you'll have better luck, and possibly raise more money, by going into the set and sorting out the collectables and putting them out there for the world to peruse.

My two cents.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Keeney is a good egg.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:22 pm

I found it impossible to go to the Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting site today. It seemed to be super busy, then I realized that a major anti-immigration group is also called FAIR, so I'd suspect that many who are curious about that subject mistakingly stumbled onto the wrong site. This is ironic and good for my FAIR, since it's great free pr for a great organization.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Sat May 01, 2010 5:40 am

Well, everyone, sorry for not being around for some time now...Exams are killing my free time, and they're doing it without kindness (i.e, they are filling it up with reports and thesis papers, so I can't get my hands on anything). As for Richard: I wish I could actually help, but my actual income has the amazing value of 0€ (for the American webderlanders, that is 0$) , so I can't really do anything. Might try to raise some money though...If I manage to sell my first story to any magazine, I might send you the whole paycheck.
The best I could do.

Kafkahead out

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun May 02, 2010 1:09 am

Anyone with clearance on the Pav right now, if you could kindly pass on this clarification:

"Brian, that wasn't meant as a pie in the face. Just speaking to something we should all remember, because this stuff is on record, and very easy to check online. The follow-up wasn't meant to embarrass you."

It's true, btw: Harlan wrote a landmark piece about that episode, in a broader expose about working in the industry. Very easy to find. In the past, when I wanted to comment on something Harlan had written, I myself sometimes took a minute to check some facts, just to make sure I knew what I was talking about. Thus, I wanted to suggest that step to people, particularly for the newer types (which Brian is not).

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 02, 2010 11:43 am

David, why are you defending BP?

Peggy, oh Peggy. Smile.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 02, 2010 12:11 pm

Alan Coil died? Oh my God, was he sick? First Robert now Alan. What a sad fucking day.

I need more info. I am stunned. RIP Alan.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon May 03, 2010 12:44 am

> David, why are you defending BP?

I see someone's reading skills haven't improved one iota.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am

Yea, I'm sorry David, I reread what you said. You certainly shouldn't make fun of my learning disability. lol

The other problem is peak oil. Will we be able to have alternative energy before that happens? Kunstler sure doesn't think so.

--------------

Did anybody ever meet Alan Coil?

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

I never met the guy, but he contributed a lot and his voice will be missed

Diane, good posting in the Pav
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 03, 2010 1:32 pm

The irony Diane is that mook probably knew next to nothing about art.

I don't see the Pav as an art chat. Harlan's bloviations are art in a relative sense. The art of the knife twisting.

Diane, see, you wimmins can be tough.

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Mon May 03, 2010 11:52 pm

Really sad news regarding Alan Coil: from visits to this site, I feel a lot like I knew him. What a shocker.

Still in various stages of grief over numerous people at once; is this why the mind so often goes south in old age, for so many? It gets hard to collate it all, after a point.

Now as for Lana, maybe moving on to another stage now is what's needed. What happened happened seven years ago, and I'd been off on my own tangent for thirty before then, but she'd definitely been a drill-master of sorts, somewhere inside.

Perhaps it's been easy, for some, to view that crazy shit in the castle from a cruel viewpoint because she was basically a non-actor getting cast for things of small consequence. Still, one must keep in mind the difficulties involved for anybody in Hollywood.
--kk

Richard Keeney

Postby Richard Keeney » Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 am

Frankie,

If you want to be taken seriously here, you need to look at entries such as the (most recent) one you made to Jan on the Pav, and RESIST. Resist the temptation to post unedited, poorly thought out, poorly spelled mini-lectures full of puerile generalizations, and patronizing (especially to Jan) overtones. Join with some of the more careful thinkers (myself excluded) in Webderland, and create informed, well-argued entries. The goal is to create some meaning out of the stuff that floats in the soup behind our eyes.

After all, are we entitled to our opinions?

Sincerely,
Rick

"Never enter a battle of wits half-armed." -Anonymous

Return to “General”