THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby paul » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 pm

SPOILER AT THE END OF POST

I can offer no opinion on EPL, book or movie. Just because the trailers look like roadkill, doesn't necessarily mean the movie is hash. The trailers for Boxing Helena looked like dirt, too.

However, if you've not, I highly urge you to see Tilda Swinton in I Am Love. It is exquisitely, painfully, good. I don't know if it is a remake, I know the plot follows many common "chick flick" themes (if themes can be chick-flicky), but the whole thing is a gorgeous powerhouse haymaker to the gut. Tilda Swinton is nothing short of brilliant and her talent will knock you on your ass. And it's not often I say this (if ever) but in this instance, the adulterer is the one you root for. Do yourself a favor, and check it out.

Manliness secured,
Paul
The medium is the message.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:17 am

Barber wrote:Frank. Kinda bitchy little Palinesque schoolyard commentary, no?

(I mean Sarah, not Michael...)

it will ever be so

but it's a churchyard, innit?

bitchy-Rick

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:33 pm

A Churchyard? I like it. I still say Keeney is related to Michelle Bachman.

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:04 pm

The original term "Glass Goblin" can have a different meaning for each reader. If a person can be thought to become a "goblin" by way of habitual lawbreaking, and if such transgressions consist solely of the activities described in the story; then wouldn't one's persona become, like something made of glass, frangible, hollow, transparent?

You get dropped, you break, everybody sees right through your actions.
--kk

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Wow. No posts for three days? Talk about a conversation killer.

I've taken to watching movies (dvds) while I get ready for work in the morning. Today it was Moonstruck. Damn, I love that movie.
Change is a dragon. You can ignore it, which is futile. You can fight it, in which case you will lose. Or you can ride it.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:42 am

Since I don't think "Ampereon" visits this board, someone please inform him (or her) that 1815 sorta popped up, used, admittedly, in a loose way, because policies shaping around that time would lead to protracted exploitation of people and land (what might THAT suggest?); the whole basis of "corporatist" thinking, i.e., control on massive ventures by a small handful of powerful money barons . Slavery, of course, was a lucrative institution and very much a part of what would become a similar mind-set. I am thinking, for example of the Missouri Crisis, which rose around that time; this was when Missouri applied admission to the union as a slave state. Also, even though I'm thinking more of general greed that motivated many Americans in those early decades, it WAS around that time corporations were first granted rights that had not been previously recognized.

Ampereon ("so you're disappointed in Um-erica, eh?") SEEMS to be serving my point, though!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Wage slavery is the last vestige we need to rid ourselves of.

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:23 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Wage slavery is the last vestige we need to rid ourselves of.

No, no, no, Frank. "Wage slavery is the last vestige of which we need to rid ourselves."
Change is a dragon. You can ignore it, which is futile. You can fight it, in which case you will lose. Or you can ride it.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:14 pm

That's right! When the revolution comes we all get to lie on the couch, smoke dope, and watch Star Trek reruns.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Ezra

You say that like it's a BAD thing... I mean I do the dope and laying around all ready, and I do it on the governments dime to boot! *S*

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:26 am

Not exactly Lori, my concern is that in Frank's utopia where no one has to work, who's gonna bring me my smoke when I run out? Not to mention that carton of Milky Way bars when I get the munchies?

Face it, no matter how you organize society someone has to do the shit work. And I've been in the upper classes much too long to do without the servants...-sniff-
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:42 am

What the hell is with Ben this week?

By looking up the information, Mark Tiedemann did what I keep hoping everyone will learn to do - rather than making arguments based on assumptions - and he did a GOOD job! Tiedermann oughtta be praised, and readers like Amparion and Ben should use the info to review their own notions about the topic.

Unbelievable.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:57 pm

Ezra just denigrated the civil rights movements, the labor rights movements, which got very violent, plus the underground railroad, woman's sufferage.

Revolution is how you democratically unseat oligarchs. Certainly just voting in the same bastards doesn't work.

What part of WORKER controlled economy does Ezra not get? The lead word is worker, meaning people would work. They would just be treated better, have more creative control of their work and be in control of their time on the job.

Better that a person sponges from the government, reading, watching good movies, becoming politically active, than working at McDonalds, greasing the machine.

--------------

I will be turning Lori in though. Just for my amusement. Wink.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Not exactly Lori, my concern is that in Frank's utopia where no one has to work, who's gonna bring me my smoke when I run out? Not to mention that carton of Milky Way bars when I get the munchies?

Face it, no matter how you organize society someone has to do the shit work. And I've been in the upper classes much too long to do without the servants...-sniff-

Ezra

I have a question for you? Will you be my sugar daddy? I've been looking for someone like you for years.... I'm even willing to move if need be. I don't have any strings attached....

And one day Frank will realize that Utopia is the most restrictive society you could live in. I mean I don't have the heart to tell him that utopias don't allow for individuality, nor can they stand for any creative thinking....

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Lori, good point. Das why EACH of imagines Utopia as each of us would define it; hence, any Utopia would be a concept imposed on everyone else.

But tell THAT to most religionists.

Return to “General”