THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks Barber.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:07 am

You play a whole season of baseball only to wind up tied in the East with three to play - bloodsport in Boston, baby!

And when did they put in this stupid rule that the season series outcome between two teams is the tie-breaker in a division? There's no one-game-playoff drama or Bucky Dent-like heroics in THAT configuration. (Oh, the mileage to be had from one scrappy shortstop who hit 40 career - CAREER - home runs across 12 seasons, and only need one to become immortal in the legend and lore of his team.)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Doug: I always thought his full name was Bucky Fucking Dent? Then again, I come from a family of NY haters, so that may have colored my perspective. Now, as to a 163rd game, it still could happen. The only place where the diviosnal record would come into play is if both teams have qualified for the playoffs (NY and Tampa, for example) so the divisional record would be used for seeding purposes. In the case of San Francisco & San Diego, if the San Diego sweeps the Giants, they would have a 1 game playoff to determine who would enter the aplyoffs, assuming the Vraves have already clinched. What could get funky, and I have no idea how this would work, is if the Padres sweep the Giants, and they both end up with the same record as the Braves.

SWP, about that Phillies comment, bite me :twisted: No Cubs fan should ever give a Phillies fan grief, just ain't right

Ez, thanks for that horrifying image of Rachel Ray as the Joker. Now I am picturing her in her Maxim spread from a couple of years ago in full Joker gear and, well, if I am up screaming in the middle of the night, my first post will reference you!

Keeney, luck has many aspects in baseball that goes beyond black cats and goats. Line drives that are continually caught; home runs that are aided by the wind, a top defensive team making play after play that makes a pitcher look good. FanGraphs is a website that I visit regularly, and examines baseball from a statistical, analytical appraoch. Try this article on for size:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... -part-two/
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Speaking of baseball...Anyone heard about Stephen King's latest book? I think it's called "Blockade Billy".

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Also, Wyatt, not sure if you get ESPN Insider, but they are doing a recap of 2010 and an outlook for 2011 on each team that did not make the playoffs. The Cardinals are featured in today's piece
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm sorry guys, I just cannot control myself. hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLbckGju ... re=related

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Damn, I can't go to the One Nation rally this weekend in DC.

The Communist Party will even be there. Always wanted to mock a red. Now that's diversity.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:31 pm

I'll be there...comrade.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:56 pm

POST REMOVED BY MODERATOR.

Rob - Did you really think I was going to give that a pass???

:?

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:44 pm

markabaddon wrote:What could get funky, and I have no idea how this would work, is if the Padres sweep the Giants, and they both end up with the same record as the Braves.

According to mlb.com, if there's a three-way tie between the Giants, Padres and Braves, there would be two one-game playoffs. First the Giants and Padres would play Monday in San Diego to decide the West title. Then the loser of that game would play the Braves in Atlanta on Tuesday to decide the wild card.

Which means - in theory, and if the needle gets threaded just so, and if I have this figured properly - the Padres could be in for the mother of all road trips. First they play in San Francisco this weekend. If they sweep, they go home to San Diego for the tiebreaker game Monday. If they lose that game, and are tied with the Braves, they head to Atlanta for the game to decide the wild card Tuesday. And if they win THAT and thus become the wild card, they go to Philadelphia to open the Division Series on Wednesday.

In other words: Four games in four different cities on two different coasts in four days. Hey, stranger things have happened.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Well, let me rephrase that:

Frank, you've no idea what my position is on Israel!

There, now I have clean underwear!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Thank you.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Mark

You all ready know how I feel about the Giants, but seeing as how we just swept a team who beat us 2-1 less than a month after that, I'm sure that the Padres are gonna be nothing but dust in our rearview mirror after Sunday!

So, which of you dudes wants to make a girls Holiday season a bit brighter and buy her a ticket for a World Series game in SF?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Mark - Wasn't there the possibility of a three-way tie within the last couple of seasons? I seem to recall someone walking through the permutations of playoff games to get to the Playoff games. Of course, I might have imagined the whole thing too.

Yankees/Boston in a rain delay. Will tomorrow be Ernie Banks day at Fenway? And no wonder it's flooding - Baltimore swept a double-header.

Kafka - It is indeed - I have "Blockade Billy" sitting here on my shelf, and it will probably be my travel reading on Monday's flight to Louisiana for work. I'm curious to see how King plays on W.P. Kinsella's sandlot.

Lori - I would, but then I'd have to buy one for everybody, and I simply can't support Mark in this Phillies thing.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Doug

Just remember this. I "know" your girlfriend, and we both can make your life very uncomfortable if we don't get what we want!

*tongue so firmly planted in cheek that it bulges out....

Return to “General”