THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Nobody has mentioned the irony of having Halloween on Sunday. I did notice that nobody was out partying. I just find that odd.

Hum. We had a hundred an a half trick or treaters. We had a six folk partying at our house, and many more having a good time on the streets of the LGB.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:40 am

I seem to mostly get the other one asking about Harlan's wife _______.

Steve Evil wrote:Unca Harlan's on Youtube again, this time in an amateur documentary on the origins of The Terminator. I don't even want to see the comments. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyyJ3D3 ... grec_index

I glanced and it was about 50/50. Cameron has achieved Roddenberry status so a lot of folks think he can do no wrong. What does chap my ass is that in a recent biography Cameron is quoted as saying that the suit was a "nuisance suit" and dismissed HE as a crank. So he's still telling lies about it.

Try an experiment. While you're watching AVATAR get copies of old YES albums where artist Roger Dean did the covers (we're talking early to mid-70s). And then find a copy of James Blish's Hugo award winning novel A CASE OF CONSCIENCE and read the part about the alien race who have this tree that functions as a planet wide communication system and are conquered by earthmen who bulldoze it...

You gotta hand it to Cameron. He knows who to rip.

Ezra just proved how uninformed he really is.

Sorry I missed you at the Tea Party and the Sanity rally Frank. :wink:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:05 pm

The Catholic church, Americas Watch and other human rights groups did good studies on the Sandanistas. They fed the poor, gave them more freedom, fair elections. And as I always say, democracy is sometimes ugly.

-------------

Rand Paul will be fun.

---------

Wyatt, can I rub your head?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:58 pm

I refuse to look at the returns. I will look at the horrorshow later.

Obama should have gone to the left. Even Politico says that his stimulus should have been bigger, with targets for jobs, not idiotic tax cuts or boondoggles for poltical friends to buy their votes.

On most major issues the public is to the left of Obama, they just don't know it. It's all a show and all of us are punch and judy.

----------

Olbermann is temporarily ending the Worst Person In The World, based on the call by Jon Stewart to be more civil. That fucker has power.

I wonder if Glenn Beck will raise his class meter. Who am I kidding.

-----------

We get into scrums, but I really dig all you folks. You rock my world.

---------

Congrats on your team Lori may.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 pm

I may at least see some advantages over those voters around the country who just cut their own ignorant throats:

I've no mortgage to worry about.
I'm subletting a room to a responsible individual.
I paid off my car this year.
I eliminated credit cards about 3 years ago.
I keep in excellent physical shape (I am, however, worried about dental problems)

I've stripped my monthly expenses as low as I can. Whatever storms I'll need to weather (I'm mostly worried about more job markets being shipped overseas) I've minimized the burdens.

It is interesting that the ONLY reason I was able to take care some of those items is because of the EDD benefits when I needed them. I wonder what will happen to those now for the millions still seeking work that will meet their expenses.

Final observation: given the proportion of Conservative Democrats who'd tied up many important votes over the last two years, I wonder if the numbers of Republicans replacing the former in the two chambers will make THAT much of a difference. I suspect the bigger problem looming will be petty investigations to bring down Obama, and the need for Obama's veto pen.

Per Ezra's declaration in the Pav to the effect that no matter how bad things get he will never leave the country, it IS the IDEAL attitude but I just can't get myself to share it. Global corporate merges are selling us out to interests in China, Saudi Arabia, India, and elsewhere. "WE THE PEOPLE" are letting it all slip from our hands.

Some of us may actually HAVE to relocate just to find steady work again. It will no longer be a question of "love of country" but practical necessity. We are now number 10 in social mobility. Given the direction ahead, it's a fairly safe guess we'll be down to 20 in a couple of years.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:04 am

Interesting results so far in Colorado. John Hickenlooper has pretty much beaten Tom Tancredo and taken his lunch money. He did it while running a clean campaign, talking about what needed to be done in these times and what he was prepared to do. Tancredo, on the other hand, seemed determined to follow in Richard Nixon's insane, shambling, erratic footsteps, using smear tactics and immigrant-baiting to try to win. Oh, he humiliated the actual Republican candidate leaving him with only eleven percent of the vote. But that means that there were over eighty-four thousand Repubicans that REALLY didn't want that douchebag.

Ed Perlmutter also won re-election by running a reasonably clean campaign, keeping the hyperbole tamped down when going after Republican Ryan Frazier. He won by a convincing margin.

Michael Bennet is less that one percent ahead of Ken Buck, a tea-party Republican, and he ran a mostly negative campaign for quite some time pretty much like Buck did, and there may be a re-count.

I'd like to think the voters are tired of politicians acting like dung beetles and appreciate it when campaigns don't make them feel like showering with Lysol and a Scotch-Brite pad.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:28 pm

California's results are interesting as well. It appears that the vote for what I would loosely term a "conservative agenda" was limited to just over 40% in almost every category -- demonstrating how far out of step we are with the rest of the country. Despite spending a collective $150 million of their own money on the election, both Whitman and Fiorina were thumped roundly. (The local economy thanks them however.)

Rumors are Carly Fiorina is in the backseat of a white SUV having a friend slowly on a freeway somewhere while she desperately phones people denying she lost.

I know we have deep red pockets in the state (the OC and San Diego, for instance), but the results of the election nationwide make it clear that the country is in a severely divisive mood -- and I can't help but wonder if this might be the next step along the path to California/West Coast independence. I cannot see the Tea Party and the Golden State being terribly good bedfellows if the current trends continue for another decade or so.

Just sayin'.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Steve, I do not think you will have to worry about the Tea Party undercutting CA for very long. Theirs will be a short term period of dominance. Look at it this way, they want to go in and slash waste in the federal government? What areas will they target? Defense spending, where most waste occurs? Nope, don't think so. How about Medicare or Social Security? Cannot see that happening either? Theirs entire agenda is "full of sound and fury signifying nothing". Should the economy fail to turn around because of gridlock, many Repubs will pay a price in 2 years

MN has also had some interesting results. The Repubs will now control both houses in MN, the first time that has happened in decades and if Emmer was able to pull out the Governor, I would be out the door of my state job in a heartbeat. As it is, the best I can hope for is to keep a job for the next 2 years, as I doubt any government employees will see any wage increases

Still it could have been much worse, especially if the Repubs were able to take the Senate, or even get to 49 seats, as the likelihood of Lieberman and Nelson switching then would be high. I do wonder if the House will start a series of spurious investigations against Obama, as they did to Clinton, to soften him up for 2012.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:21 pm

Mark, I agree with you. I think this midterm election will give the Pres(our Pres) another term. Cause the electorate, Red Blue green etc, is pretty pissed. So when mortgages still foreclose, jobs remain outsourced and the economy is in the toilet, the Tea party's pot will be dumped in the gargage where the little firetruckers belong.
I have a question. In the gianoullis/kirk senate race, Alexi Gianoullis conceded. some of the vote is still out. the margin is not that wide. After a candidate concedes in a race if all the vote should come in in his/her favor, can the concession be retracked? I know that is not happening here. But can it? Has it ever? In a separate issue, what if the Dems ran a real candidate here for this seat? One who wanted to be here? And not in Washington with the pres?

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Mark raised yet another point I often spin in my processor: they talk about "cutting government" and "building jobs", but government is PART of the job market; your earnings from any government position goes right into the economy!

Still, they manage to sell the absurd rhetoric about how government is SO in the way!

Oy! I was born in Hell, what can I say?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:08 pm

How big does the government have to be before it is too big? Who decides what is too big? Who decides what is the right size? More importantly who does the government help? It's not about big government but the fact that it doesn't serve the interests of real people. Corporations are not real people, no matter what the Chamber of Commerce thinks.

-----------

Barber, don't forget about Dana Rohrabacher.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm a government employee. Big government helped me plenty.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:04 pm

FrankChurch wrote: Wyatt, can I rub your head?

It's kinda stubbly right now, result of leaving my razor in Nawleans. I'd recommend either letting me get a fresh shave tomorrow or waiting 3-4 more days until it's not like a brillo pad.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Reading the British press, you'd think Obama had already been turfed.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Steve, when does the Silly Season start? Also, is it silly along the lines of Monty Python's more boyish humor or is it really along the lines of World Weekly News?

K.

Return to “General”