THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

RocRizzo

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby RocRizzo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Gee Steve,
You have to get out and take a walk once in a while. They say at least a half hour a day. I know, it's a lot of time, in these busy days, but you must do it. AT LEAST that. Even if you have to drive somewhere to walk for half an hour.
I hope that you have a speedy and as painless a recovery as possible. Feel better.

Here in the Northeast, I don't walk much in the winter. I shovel snow. We got our first storm this year yesterday, and the snow was light, but there was so much of it. Sheesh. Often times, I go out and take pictures of stuff. Just anything, as long as I get out and walk. With the advent of digital cameras, it costs nothing for "film," and the more you shoot, the better chance you have of getting that great shot. You also get into taking pictures of things that you normally might not. Plants, trees, blades of grass, and such come to mind. Just a thought.

And I wish that Harlan wouldn't think that I am doing HIM a favor. It was more a favor that I did for an old friend, who might need the money. She may be near retirement, or retired from her civil slavery, I mean service job. Gods know that civil slaves.. I mean servants, don't make much. I don't know why he thought it was a favor for HIM. He was very clear in his explanation of the gig being his mule. I think that she can do it, so I sent her a message with a link to the site, so that she could check it out for herself.

Then, I wonder if the order that I placed with him was received, let alone processed. Oh well, I guess I'll find out when I get the books.

I'll stop babbling now, and go back under my rock for a while.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Guys, I appreciate the words of wisdom, but while more exercise and better eating will help my weight, it really doesn't have an effect on a slipped or herniated disc.

People in the best possible physical condition can injure themselves exactly the same way I did...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Barber wrote:Guys, I appreciate the words of wisdom, but while more exercise and better eating will help my weight, it really doesn't have an effect on a slipped or herniated disc.

People in the best possible physical condition can injure themselves exactly the same way I did...

Don't I know. Quite a few years ago, I had an attack of sciatica that was literally the biggest pain in the ass I have ever experienced in my life. It also ran down my leg, and continues to bother me to this day. After several x-rays, cat, dog, and other scans, it was discovered that I have a compression fracture in my back. They told me that the successfulness of surgery was 50%, at which point, I told them that I would learn to live with the pain.

Once the pain subsided, I tried to figure out what cause the fracture. The only thing that I can remember doing 10 or 15 years prior, was falling from a 2nd floor window, after scaling the wall, trying to let a friend into her apartment. She locked herself out. I landed on my hands and feet, and my butt smacked the dirt. It hurt for a day, but I didn't think anything of it, so didn't get it looked at. So today I suffer. Well, it's not that bad. I can tell when a storm is coming in. Such is youthful ignorance.

I am not sure what a slipped disk can feel like, but the pain of sciatica is no joke. It felt like someone stabbed me in the butt down to my leg with a hot electrified knife. It certainly is not as bad as it was, and since there is nothing that they say they can do for the pain, aside from drugs, I just deal with it. I am sure that the slipped disk is more serious. Just hang in there, and hopefully modern medicine will help you.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Roc,

It's okay to ask Susan a question re: your order in the Pavilion.

Rick

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Don't forget, you have to call her "the goddess" Susan.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:02 pm

Hmmmm...you know just the other day I was wondering what really happened between HE and Frank Sinatra oh those many years ago. I think I'll ask HE over at the Pavillion. I'll bet he really can't wait for someone to bring it up so he can unburden himself.

Shooby-dooby-doo...

Start spreadin' the newsss...

I did it myyyyyyyyyyyyy.......wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....!!!!!!!!!!!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:03 pm

Well since I believe only in Dog, how about I call her, "her doggess," Susan?

Some how I don't think that that would get me in with the good graces of Mrs. Ellison.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Church,

Before you pressed ENTER did you take into consideration how painful and worrisome your most recent comment in the Pavilion might be to someone like Susan, or to Harlan's friends?

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:39 am

Okay,
I'm taking bets here on whether or not, and how much Harlan will crucify me for my last bit of drivel in the Pavillion. Any takers?

Was it too cloying, to the point, or way out of bounds?

I really hate writing such fawning drivel, but when circumstances necessitate it, I comply. I really do believe that when someone writes a book, be it fact or fiction, that we get more than just a book. We DO get a part of that person. We should learn to respect all that the author has poured into such writings, and either logically criticize it, or learn from it.

Enough babble from me... Time to get back to work, and kill some more computer viruses and such.

L8R.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:45 am

Roc -

Not sure he'll comment, much less crucify. He likely will appreciate the sentiment, but not want to seem as if he's inviting the fawning. (We all get accused of it anyway, so it's gasoline on the fire if he publicly takes note.)

I agreed with the basics of your comment, but what you noted is very much in line with what he'd posted: You get the book. Your reaction to the book is also what you get. But you you're not entitled to a piece of Harlan in addition to what you get in the book. In other words, you can't read the book, call him up and start out with "okay, let's discuss this. What did you mean by..."

That's not in the inferred contract.

But, as I said above, the meaning of what you get from it IS important. I'm sure he'll appreciate your post, but I doubt he]ll comment.

My vote, at least.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Ah, talk about fake outrage. Harlan understands my crass brand of humour. He will be ok. He has taken me apart many a moon.

--------

Roc, you want Harlan to yell at you. It is our way of taking a warm bath.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Anyone want to chime in on this? Frank doesn't want to respond properly to a rational rejoinder. Feel free to disagree. It sat poorly with me. If I'm off with this one I'd like to know.

----------------------------------------------------------
This is the entry:

Frank Church
- Wednesday, December 29 2010 11:42:33
John Lennon had a "fan" too. That fan shot him.

Harlan doesn't need any fans.

----------------------------------------------------------

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Rick

I doubt that Harlan or Susan are as thin skinned as you think they are. They have probably heard a lot worse.

But, I do agree with you, it wasn't the most smart thing Frank could have said. But then again, Harlan doesn't need ME to protect him. He's pretty good at ripping new assholes for those who he deems need them.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Rick,
I understand your concern, but believe me that they probably have had much greater threats. When you take it in context, think of who it comes from, and how much of a threat he is ;-)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Rick,

No, you are not off but look at the source. Expecting anything else from him would be a mistake.

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “General”