THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

RocRizzo

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby RocRizzo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:43 pm

I believe that all the vitriol that was spewed in the last election cycle, and before that, during the Health care debates, has shown its consequences.
It may be viewed as freedom of speech, but as it is illegal to shout, "Fire!" in a crowded theatre, so should it be illegal to call for the "use of the second amendment" to remedy a difference of opinion. Life is just too precious.
When kids, whose brains are malleable, get hold of this idea, they think that they should carry out their second amendment right. This is not a good thing.

I don't know where we are headed...

I could go out on a limb, and say that the kid was pre-programmed by the CIA to do this, so that they could legislate more restrictions to our Constitutional Rights.
I could just say that the kid is a nut, and should be in the hospital.
I don't know. It's all quite sad and confusing.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:51 pm

All righty then. Frank, this has been in my mind and heart for several days. Here goes. I dont give a flying rats ass what your real name is. I dont agree with a lot of your politcs and views as you often espouse them here. Yet I would defend forever your godgiven American right to hold them and hold forth on them. News flash though. This aint no political blog. It is a Harlan Ellison website. Yet just about all you ever talk about is politics. On and on and on. In a strident and abusive stream. And you exalt any sources you cite while ignoring or denigrating any others. Even when it's Barber responding to you who is intelligent and well informed. And why do you do this. You are not going to change any minds. First of all, most people on this site are fairly "liberal". Second of all the people on this cite are not children. We are smart sassy well read well informed people, who have made our own minds up on these things. Third of all the way you present yourself is pretty much guaranteed to alienate your listeners. I think I agree with Keeney. You do it for the attention. It is human to desire attention and human intereaction. It is why I come here. But do you think mayhap you could extend yourself to make some of the emotional risk we all do when we come here so as to reap some of the human reward. Might you share some personal info once on a while rewho you are besides a collection of opinions. Are you in a relationship, do you have kids, pets, siblings. Are your parents still with us. Do you play any sports? Who are you. And then could you manage to keep the political shit to its designated threads. Cause Frank what I have been doing is just skipping most of your posts. Just not reading them at all in an attempt to save myself from the abusive rhetoric. And I refuse to respond to these posts anymore. The only posts of yours I shall read or respond to are the personal ones where you talk about yourself. All done with this.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:51 pm

All righty then. Frank, this has been in my mind and heart for several days. Here goes. I dont give a flying rats ass what your real name is. I dont agree with a lot of your politcs and views as you often espouse them here. Yet I would defend forever your godgiven American right to hold them and hold forth on them. News flash though. This aint no political blog. It is a Harlan Ellison website. Yet just about all you ever talk about is politics. On and on and on. In a strident and abusive stream. And you exalt any sources you cite while ignoring or denigrating any others. Even when it's Barber responding to you who is intelligent and well informed. And why do you do this. You are not going to change any minds. First of all, most people on this site are fairly "liberal". Second of all the people on this cite are not children. We are smart sassy well read well informed people, who have made our own minds up on these things. Third of all the way you present yourself is pretty much guaranteed to alienate your listeners. I think I agree with Keeney. You do it for the attention. It is human to desire attention and human intereaction. It is why I come here. But do you think mayhap you could extend yourself to make some of the emotional risk we all do when we come here so as to reap some of the human reward. Might you share some personal info once on a while rewho you are besides a collection of opinions. Are you in a relationship, do you have kids, pets, siblings. Are your parents still with us. Do you play any sports? Who are you. And then could you manage to keep the political shit to its designated threads. Cause Frank what I have been doing is just skipping most of your posts. Just not reading them at all in an attempt to save myself from the abusive rhetoric. And I refuse to respond to these posts anymore. The only posts of yours I shall read or respond to are the personal ones where you talk about yourself. All done with this.

DanielBarron

Postby DanielBarron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:15 pm

"it is illegal to shout, "Fire!" in a crowded theatre,"

Not if the theatre is on fire.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Diane, it is not a cop out to put something aside that you’ve been working on for a long time. It’s probably a good thing. Chase down every creative thought and write it immediately in your notebook lest it fly away forever. It's your world Diane; you are completely in charge of your own stuff. It’s a different place, far removed from the savage slave wage world in which we all exist.

There are no rules when it comes to writing, and like William Goldman said, "no one knows anything". The only rules that count are your rules.

Tim

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Wow. Some sensitive reactions in Webderland tonight!
It's exciting when bones start to rattle. They tend to shake off the cobwebs.

Tim Raven

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Triple and Quadruple POSTS! I'm shocked at the egregious rule breaking going on around here! All must be banned for eternity. I'm joking, of course. I'm even going to put a smiley on this one...

Here it is.

:shock:

Tim Raven

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Harlan is feeling his oats, back to the Harlan we all know and love. You guys are getting upset over his mild admonishments? Shit, we all have had a cranky loved one who experienced a "fuck you all" kinda day, right? Love means forgiveness, Webderlanders.

I was going to mention prancing, mincing, over-sensitive....well, topped with an aggressive, nasty word, but I think nerves are already at the limit tonight.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em...

Tim Raven

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:17 am

Blown partially away by this from Diane:

"But do you think mayhap you could extend yourself to make(sic) some of the emotional risk we all do when we come here so as to reap some of the human reward."

I don't even know if I do THAT. Weak in phrasing, heavy in concept.

Went to Goldberg's birthday party last night and gave him a book he already had. Because that's how this weapon is loaded.

bang,
Rick

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:23 am

Tim -
You're correct about the tone of the Pavilion, but let's not lose sight of why you were banned: the vicious tone and number of your posts. Sorry, but before you get all resentful how your treatment was somehow unfair I wanted to tamp it down a notch.

Keeney -
Actually, you do share a bit more about your life. Like going to Goldberg's party f'r instance. Diane is spot on regarding the political versus the personal. Frank is not required to introduce anything personal, of course, but other than the state he resides and that he works in catering, we really don't know anything about him. He doesn't have to say a word -- but Diane's post is fair comment.

Daniel -
Quite right. But if you and your friends are the ones lighting the matches it's a bit disingenuous to be Chicken Little.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Everything is politics. Even the personal is political.

I care about politics the same way someone likes chess, it's a hobby, plus politics is the science of life. I think politics is very important for society and important decisions get made because of it. Even culture is poltical. You cannot have human relations without first worrying about a job, a lifestyle choice, personal freedom. Politics affects the air we breathe and the food we eat. Why do you think Obama is a rock star.

Diane, why should I give any personal info, when you deny I have anything to say? You might as well say I'm a loser. Degraded humanity is no first kiss or warm handshake.

----------

Harlan, gotta love him.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:24 pm

So. . .

Six people dead. Including a nine year old girl. The target was previously a target in Republican attack ads. Coincidence?

One of them was nine years old. Her name was Christina. In six months will anyone remember?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/0 ... 06314.html

And guess who's going to picket her funeral:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/0 ... 06319.html

That's politics for ya. When elected representatives can openly call for the murder of other elected representatives, and unbalanced psychopaths can, with a constitutionally guaranteed right to own high powered fire arms, answer the call.

Every time I hear news like this I sink just a little deeper into a pit. Deeper still this time because it was preordained. And the people who called for it won't lose any sleep at all. It's what they want. Open warfare. Blatant fascism. And the other side will just shrug.

I'm not liking your democracy anymore.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Obviously social policy has a lot to do with these things. You don't see this in England, especially places like Norway, where their prisons are like country clubs. They even give prisoners gourment meals and big screen tvs. Beyond the neo-nazi bastards, Norway is as calm as a light breeze.

Our social society is crumbling.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi Tim. Thanks for the comment back regarding my writing. What you said makes sense to me, and echoes what I feel. Excelsior. I really like what you wrote on Dark and Stormy.

Keeney, you came to Madcon and took the risk of meeting people and shaking hands, you use your real name, you talk about your real life, etc. I can understand why someone would use an alias when they first came to a website, but ....

Frank do what ever the fuck you want. You always do. I have lost all respect I ever had for you.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:50 pm

No shit Steve.
The WBC should picket themselves, for being faux Christians.

Yeah, I sink a little more each time something like this happens. It's not like I can do much about it, except to treat others like I expect to be treated, and deplore violence in any way, shape or form.

That's beyond all the volunteer work I do for the Peace and Justice, and Environmental movements. Nor the work that I do for my own local community.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Return to “General”