THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

RocRizzo

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby RocRizzo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:21 am

cynic wrote:holy shit rocco
sorry about your brother.
i don't know if it was here or not (search engines are amazing), but you've written of your brother before?
but i may be mistaken.

I have told the story of how my brother contracted AIDS through a blood transfusion before there was ample screening. Then Raygun went on to say that it was, "a gay cancer," and refused to fund early research. The drugs that came out, came out too late for him. Had there been that early research, he probably would be alive today.
To see him go through the suffering he did, and did not deserve, irks me to the nth degree.
So I hold Ronnie Rat PERSONALLY responsible.
It's a grudge that I will hold until the day I die!
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 am

FrankChurch wrote:So, when is Mark Goldberg going to apologize for threatening to beat me up because of what I said about Israeli history?

Huh? You mean the antagonistic, biased, anti-Isreali rhetoric you've consistently posted?

I haven't seen Mark threaten to "beat you up". He's expressed considerable anger, but you've certainly invited it with your posts.

The above was clearly intended to provoke Mark, and as such it's waaay out of line. Period. Not acceptable. Not even a little, and I'm on very short temper these days.

Consider this an official "Stop. Now" and "Move on".
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Rashid Khalidi is one of the top scholars on the middle east. Just because people have a limited bookshelf is not my problem. Explore folks.

------

Roc, with cost cutting on the brain I fear our government will continue to neglect dealing with AIDS. Hell, we don't even care that people die every day with a lack of clean water.

Now they have the temerity to whine that mental health services are being undercut. Well, I wonder why that happened? These people are as dull as can be.

This is why austerity should be stopped. You never know what emergency needs to be dealt with.

--------

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Steve Evil wrote:
Lori Koonce wrote:
As a certified crazy person. . .

You're not crazy. Jared Lee Loughner is crazy. Whatever else you might have to sort out, you ain't like that.

Steve

The only measureable difference between him and I is that I've got the ability to talk myself outta shooting people. If I didn't I'd be typing this from prison because my kill list would be at least twice as long as his!

Good thing that event he THOUGHT of holding a working gun makes me wanna puke IMO!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Maybe we are all normal but the world is crazy.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Maybe we are all normal but the world is crazy.

You know, there is a myriad of definitions of mental insanity, illness, malady, whatever.
But I have yet to see ONE definition of mental normalcy!

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Goldberg, please clue me/us in to the meaning and history of blood libel. I'm confused.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Rick Keeney wrote:Goldberg, please clue me/us in to the meaning and history of blood libel. I'm confused.

Check the link Rick: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=blood+libel&l=1

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 am

Pals,

Many of you know I have three daughters. (Some of you have met Chelsea.) Their mom, Kelly, was my first wife. She’s a peach, and a paragon of female strength and fortitude to her daughters. Those of you who know about Chloe know how she leans on her mom. Kelly’s been beating the living shit out of cancer for two years now. Hers is a rare soft tissue cancer known by the insidious, Lovecraftian name
Leiomyosarcoma (lay oh my oh sarr KOH muh). She’s been through two rounds of chemotherapy, one enhanced by an experimental drug. The drugs don’t appear to have worked. The doctors at Mayo (thank goodness she is close to that place) detected growth. So she’s having surgery this morning in an effort to get that crap out. Courtney, our eldest and her daughter-my grandchild, and Chelsea are with her in Rochester. I told Kelly I was posting this and she thanked me; she's heard the name Harlan Ellison, and of his stories and adventures for the past 20 plus years, so her appreciation is genuine. I feel fortunate to have a number of quality friends here, not the least of whom is the Man himself. No matter what happens, this will be an emotional day. Please do me a favor and keep my family close today. We could all use you.

much love,
Rick

P.S. Steve Barber, I'm sorry to hear about Jazz. Chloe says, "Be happy about her."

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 am

I steeled myself to watch the Palin speech last night. If there is one thing that sets me off more reflexively than a person like her preaching at me it's...I don't know what the hell it is. God Bless America, my ass. (There's a bumper sticker for you.)

Lord, protect me from your followers.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:19 am

Rick, as I noted on the Pav we're thinking about you, your daughters and Kelly. It speaks volumes for Kelly (and you) that you're so supportive of an "ex".

Keep us posted. If she's in the hands of the Mayo Clinic she cannot be better kept.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:42 am

Did you guys know that Gabrielle Giffords opened her eyes right after Obama left her room? See, the Lord does heal.

--------------

You can already see how the right will spin this: Obama is saying he healed her. Look for it, I never lie about the hubris of these idjits.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:08 pm

(Lori, forgive me for using your situation as my example. You've alluded to some of your challenges -- I think you're a much more thoughtful and controlled person that you do, but you know your mind much better than I. In this case, however, you're a perfect example for an illustration I need to make. If this offends you let me know and I will apologize and remove the entry.)

Going over the morning news. As expected, and perhaps even needed, there are the Monday Morning commentaries regarding the shooter's previous behavior. The quesitons as to why he was not identified earlier, why nothing was done, questions as to what COULD have been done. "We saw this coming..." sort of thing.

Yes, these are questions we need to ask. To understand.

But, but, but...then what? Does everyone who behaves a little oddly now deserve the scrutiny of society? In the same way anyone who looks just "a little too muslim" commonly gets after 9/11?

Where then? Act oddly, get examined? You're a little too hostile, maybe we ought to dig deeper? You're "not of the body", maybe we should up your meds?

There was an episode, "Number 12 Looks Just Like You", of the original Twilight Zone -- one of several in fact -- which dealt with conformity. Of the pacification of society. Yes, we need to identify and help those individuals who are a danger to themselves and to society. The Columbine students. The Virginia Tech shooter. Jared Loughner.

But how do we, as a society, not overreact and condemn the merely different from the potentially dangerous? And how do we ensure that it isn't a moving target, easily adjusted for changing societal needs, then wants, then fears.

In other words: How do we keep from making a Lori Koonce pay the societal price for a Jared Loughner?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Lori has issues but she is not prone to violence. If she did I'd hope she would get help before any incident was kindled.

And I am tired of the bigotry of profiling of shy, white males; guys who have problems with women, may like weird sci-fi mental fiction. Most violent people are loud not quiet or shy. Prisons are clangfests.

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:47 pm

"But how do we, as a society, not overreact and condemn the merely different from the potentially dangerous? And how do we ensure that it isn't a moving target, easily adjusted for changing societal needs, then wants, then fears."

1. don't panic
2. don't legislate in a panic
follow your bliss,mike

Return to “General”