THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 pm

"Frank Church
- Sunday, January 16 2011 10:34:14
Harlan, ah, you caught that. That's one word I do know how to spell, but I do like to play with the language.

Bullsheets to the wind. "

You give yourself away, Earnest, you disingenuous trilobite. You do not play with the language, you regularly and incessantly butcher it. "Bullwork" is a typical Churchian malapropism.

And Graham Rae needs to shut up.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:12 pm

...And just remember, "dinghy" is ALSO spelled "dingy", even though the former is the more common spelling...

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 am

"dinghy" vs. "dingy"

I'd stay away from the latter (I just typed "ladder"-sheesh) because 1) it looks wrong and 2) has a more common definition, i.e., "begrimed". Dingy simply breeds misunderstanding. But "dinghy": what a clunky word.

And come to think of it, using "i.e." and e.g." is clunky. Comma, space, letter, period, letter, period, comma, space...sheesh.

How's that for exhausting a topic?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:48 am

There is a terrific latin jazz classic entitled "Dindi" -- pronounced in the original Portuguese as "Jinji".

I was listening to a radio announcer once who managed to conflate the two and played a song he identified as "Dinjy".

And yes, by the next break he corrected himself and apologized for soiling anyone's appreciation of the song. (Nice save.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:28 pm

You folks will not take away my high. The dreaded New England Patriots are birdshit on the car window of life. Now we can watch the New York Jets steamclean the awful Steelers.

Give Gwyn our love, Lori, ya meanie.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:33 pm

A "begrimed dingy", in all its redundancy, fits the bill when we're talking about a tiny vessel that refuses to keep me aloft - y'know...like America!

Maybe this is the reason for the more common spelling of the former.

Rick Keeney

ding dong

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:33 pm

That just comes off as dingy (as in: "dongy").

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:52 pm

that rings a bell :|
follow your bliss,mike

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:04 am

Sorry for my absence, everyone. Exams have been pilling up around me. Next one on the list is Algebra. Sweet Mother of Gautama Buddha, Algebra.

Quick Question: What the Hell has happened in the Pavilion? Graham's post was so full of vitriol that I could feel the poison from a distance. And what of Debbie? What did I miss here?

K.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 am

In all honesty, you didn't miss much of anything.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:44 am

Yes, but what happened? Was this still about Harlan's reply to all the offers? I thought it was a bit rude, to tell the truth, but it wasn't that caustic to warrant Graham's answer and self-imposed exile. I honestly want to know: I've backtracked the archives and found nothing like this. What broke his last straw?

K.

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:56 am

Kafkahead wrote: I've backtracked the archives and found nothing like this.
Try again. Honestly.
follow your bliss,mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 am

Hint: the lyrics to "Moonlight in Vermont" had ... a part in the drama.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 am

Joao -
Doug's right. You didn't miss much of anything. Graham's retort was, shall we say, far more an example of self-important melodrama than was anything that preceded it. And no, I don't think it had anything at all to do with the offers of support Harlan rejected. I think Graham was upset by something he perceived as a personal affront. I kind of wondered if there was a whirl of the cape as he exited stage left.

(Graham's gotten his panties in a bunch a number of times. He and I exchanged a few notes here and there. He seemed a nice but very angry person -- and he has his reasons for feeling angry with the world from what he's written.)

But he's just burned a bridge with me on the Pav.

*shrug*

And, as far as the dustup with the kind offers from Sara, Lori and others, their kindnesses were noted by everyone else including -- and particularly -- Susan. It's unfortunate nice people's feelings were hurt. I wish I could say Harlan didn't mean to do it, but he is going through some difficult times and turned a tin ear towards the wellwishers. Other than that I can't comment other than to to say that these things sometimes happen to the best of us. *I* certainly thought their support was sincerely meant, and, as noted, Susan appreciated them. And since she's the gimp at the moment, that's all that counts.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Graham showed himself to be an utter asshole with his response and I love how Erik Nelson absolutely obliterated any semblence of credibility Mr. Rae might have had. I truly do not understand the mindset of people like that. Whatever, good riddance.

Let's bring this thread back onto a subject that still has me riled up, Palin's use of "blood libel." I had a talk with my conservative friend about it today (just curious Barber, has the subject been covered with Neo Con Jim?) and he was, unsurprisingly, supportive of Palin's use of the term. Not sure if Jews across the world, especially in Israel, would agree that the use of blood libel by one of the leading candidates for a political party in the most powerful country in the world is not of interest.

Mike, alternate POVs are positive but I am at a loss to see how the use of this phrase could be justified. Could it be argued that she was unaware of its implications and regrets its use? Sure, that could have happened but did not. Instead, you have Palin reinforcing her views and stating that it was appropriate for her to use that term.

In recent polls I have seen, Palin has the largest % of negative ratings of any major candidate for either party. I do wonder if she will not elect to run, but will continue to be a Republican attack dog for Fox
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “General”