THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Mark -
I too was astounded but not surprised that Palin didn't recognize the offense and offer an apology. Her ego simply won't let her see what she said as the issue, instead perceiving it through a self-absorbed fog of paranoia and arrogance (gotta wonder what God might be making of her hubris..).

The topic hasn't had an opportunity to arise with Jim. He's been very supportive with us the last week and the topic just isn't appropriate. At whatever time it might become a topic it's likely she'll have done something else to demonstrate her utter inability to understand the feelings of others.

Isn't the lack of empathy a sign of narcissism and/or psychopathy?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:56 pm

From what I remember of abnormal psychology (qa class back in college) a lack of empathy is a signature for both of the mental disorders you mentioned. I have read numerous comments from people that have been around Palin for years that she is incapable of admitting a mistake. In her world, it is never her fault. Now, that is not an uncommon characteristic of politicians, but apparently Palin takes that to a new level, so her lack of understanding about how wrong a term that was not exactly as surprise

My conversation with Neo Con Ted went better than I expected. He justified Palin's use of the term by saying that the Wall Street Journal used the term the previous day and no one complained. When I pointed out that is irrelevant to the discussion and that the WSJ is not running to be the leader of the nation, he switched to an incorrect argument that this was a term used by Christians. I corrected him that it was, in fact, accusation against the Jews and the correct usage was that the Jews were committing a blood libel by the use of the blood of Christian children in religious ceremonies. He then conceded that the phrase was used incorrectly, and I stated that the only reason to use the phrase in the way Palin did was to use imagery that has been used to incite violence in the past.

Like Palin, my buddy Ted never admits he is wrong, but I am going to press this one as nicely as I can until he breaks.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Palin, "unable to admit when she's wrong", from the same mold as G.W. Bush.

They say statistically that 4% of the entire population (globally, I would assume) is sociopathic. That's some 240,000,000 sociopaths! How many, I wonder, get wedged into government positions. Bush, Cheney, Rove, Libby, and creeps like Abramoff all struck me as classic cases.

Now, I suppose, Palin is "Sociopath - The Next Generation".

The alarming part of this is that the condition is genetic, according to researchers. And that means you can't reach those people.

Add the collective dumbos in the voting population, who very easily buy into the rhetoric, and we face a dire landscape.

I do an excellent job hiding this, but I'm damn pessimistic. My posts are always downers.

Rick Keeney

The Children of Church

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Lack of empathy is one of three benchmarks of autism, if you don't play or communicate well with others, and demonstrate repetitive eccentric movements (No, Goldberg, that movement is repetitive but not eccentric..for most of us) you're probably on the spectrum. Is it hard to imagine a nation run by prodigious savants?

Graham make some classic blunders in what ended up as his farewell address. (And his departure, I thought, was telegraphed. Fairly common pattern here.) He maybe coulda edited that thing a little bit for couth, and self-aggrandizement, and remained as welcome here as many other Borderlanders. You can make your own wicked punch in this place and attempt to serve it, just don't piss in it. We all have strong noses, and we'll all be suspicious when you run from the room, as Barber said, with a flourish of the cape.

Interestingly, spell check in this place does not recognize "couth". hmmmmmmmmmmmm

RIght, Paul?

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Rob, agreed, on the comparison between Bush & Palin. Unfortunately, my impression of Palin is that she is even more intractable than Bush and even less intellectually curious (did not know that was possible before Caribou Barbie)

I would be interested to know where you drew that 4% statistic from, as it seems extremely high
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:54 pm

In case anyone was wondering, my friend Mr. Keeney referenced me because of a conversation we had when he came over several weeks ago about a member of Karen's family whom we suspect might be on the autistic spectrum. Rick shared his, in all seriousness, incredible knowledge and wisdom on the subject with us

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Goldberg, I was referring to the chronic masturbation.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:05 pm

4 times a day is chronic?

Remember what I said about Keeney's wisdom and intelligence. Never mind

(although for some reason my lady does actually like you and wants to get together again)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:10 pm

This place has a spell-check?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Not frequency, technique.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Mark, listen, I was STUNNED when I first heard that stat.

Heard it on an NPR report a few years ago in the car. This is also where I first heard the condition being genetic, making it hopelessly incurable ('least until we have advanced genetic technology in medicine).

I went to several sources to check that info, and it did prove consistent!

And re: Bush vis-a-vis Palin - yeah, it didn't seem possible to me either. Although I actually can't recall a moment at ALL when Bush demonstrated any kind of intellectual curiosity in any subject, I think Palin is, indeed, several notches below even him!

We already had a mockery of what we dared call "America's Leader", but imagine Palin...I don't think there IS a word for it!

Nevertheless, the fact that Michelle Bachman is a member of a Congress now suggests ANYTHING is possible in today's tattered landscape.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:05 pm

The wild thing is Keeney masterbates with his feet. See, America does got talent.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Frank, evidence supports the supposition that masturbating with your feet is an expertise all your own.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Frank, how does he get the tweezers between his toes? :lol:
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:41 pm

i believe i have made this bed.

yikers

Return to “General”