THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby robochrist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:11 am

Gwyn: "Rob, seriously, I'd vote for you if you ran for supervisor here in SF. Or for state senator for that matter."

...Shit - I'll take ANY job! I NEED the money!

Re: Obama. Well...he's aligned himself too much with the corporatists. We lost the House because he bent over backward to ingratiate EVERY clique, including Wall Street and the very politicians who want to destroy his presidency. His strategies for the first 2 years proved incompetent and unsuitable as a remedy in a time of extremes - where aggressive policies are needed in order to bring balance back the scales.

Now, between inconceivably stupid voters - many in the shape YOU just described, who actually hold a candle to the lottery - and big corporate money controlling so many parts of the system (including the chamber of commerce, the Supreme Court, the Washington Lobby, and the mainstream media), America is being altered at its foundation (Wall Street being sold to Germany is another big signal), and the rifts between the wealthy few and the majority will, in time, look like what the Egyptian people have had to face! Even some on the board here, I suspect, fail at this point, to see how all this bodes for our economy.

Obama, sadly, has been an extension of the Bill Clinton who caved to Conservative pressure and deregulated the media. I am so disillusioned, I haven't been tuning in on Obama's speeches with the eagerness I once had. I care nothing about speeches now. What's implemented, and how it is sold to the uncomprehending, poorly read dunderheads of America, is what matters now.

Was a time I thought no way could Boehner get where he is now! Now, I can believe anything. It's not good. It's not good at all. Personally, I'm striving my ass off not to panic.

RE: LAUREL & HARDY

Take a look at their short, BERTH MARKS! Fighting each other desperately for the little space offered by a single upper bunk aboard a train: it's a perfect metaphor for the slim pickins' the American middle class will soon have to fight over!!

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:38 am

Rob -- I loved BERTH MARKS. Yes, it is a good analogy for the scraps we common folk will be fighting over. Especially love the infighting between the passengers ripping each others' clothes to shreds.

Have you seen "BATTLE OF THE CENTURY"? It's a silent, and my most favorite pie-throwing flick ever. :)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:29 am

Gwyneth!

Welcome back sister. Much much too long.

In these revolutionary times we need all the womenfolk hereabouts possible.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Gwyn

I gotts to agree with Ezra on that one. It's most difficult being one of 2 women who post around here regularly.

As far as the coffee goes, whenever you are ready my dear. I kinda have an idea of what you've been going thru lately, and company like yours is worth waiting for as long as I have to.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Gwyn -

I never saw BATTLE OF THE CENTURY - I only know their talkies.

But the main thing about BERTH MARKS that split me a hundred ways, indelibly, is the two dorks getting their feet and hands stuck in each others clothes as they slap each other competing for space, with lots of crying and moaning in between! THAT was some funny shit!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:02 pm

Gwyn, according to the Huffington Post San Francisco will soon have big dips in housing prices. You and Lori can finally get that dream house. Towards the east, obviously.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:09 pm

robochrist wrote:Gwyn -

I never saw BATTLE OF THE CENTURY - I only know their talkies.

Check it out on YouTube, it's there in bits and pieces. Enough to still be hilarious!!!

robochrist wrote:But the main thing about BERTH MARKS that split me a hundred ways, indelibly, is the two dorks getting their feet and hands stuck in each others clothes as they slap each other competing for space, with lots of crying and moaning in between! THAT was some funny shit!

:) I know, I know -- and then those shots of Hardy trying to get his trousers off. OMG it looks like he's trying to hump Stan who is just out of frame (but still in the audience's mind). I'm really surprised they could get away with that, although I guess this would be pre-Code, yes? or no? Anyhoo, thanks for the tip. I really enjoyed BERTH MARKS! :)

FrankChurch wrote:Gwyn, according to the Huffington Post San Francisco will soon have big dips in housing prices. You and Lori can finally get that dream house. Towards the east, obviously.

Oh Frankie, would that were true...[arm to forehead]. It's just the HuffPost's new corporate owners trying to create a false housing bubble here. Oh wait, that's already happened several times. OK, hey Lori, I'm game if you are and we'll just have to build a hut out back with a mudpit and audio hook up for Frankie to come visit and listen to Prince while relaxing in a hot mud bath. :P
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Frank

Gwyn can have an eastern facing window, but we are gonna have to have a little bit of southern light in a wildow so I can look good.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Frank

Gwyn can have an eastern facing window, but we are gonna have to have a little bit of southern light in a wildow so I can look good.

Honey, you look good in ANY light -- even dayglo with 7 foot tall transvestite blue bunnies. :wink: (let's keep 'em guessing, huh?)
luv,
G
STAR WARS (1977)

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Oh wait! I just got the joke. [smacks self upside head] Frank thinks I need an eastern facing window because of Mecca, yes?

Frankie, from America the shortest distance to Mecca is the great circle route -- over the North Pole. So we face north to pray towards Mecca.

Sheesh. Sheesha. hashsheesh. heh heh. :P
STAR WARS (1977)

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Welcome back to the board, Gwyneth! I hope you find some peace and stability now that you have your sea-legs back, so to speak.

I'll have to see the L&H movies you and Rob were writing about. I'll probably have to look around the net for the silents, though I have many of their talkies on VHS. Each tape opens with Stan Laurel's home movies narrated by his daughter. A nice touch. Although the two are known for their slapstick, they also had fun with plays on words:

(After Stanley has come to help Ollie cleap up his house before his hellbeast of a wife comes home. It seems Ollie has had a 'wild party' that weekend.)

Stanley: Well isn't that just the way. When the mice are away, the cats...will be playin' around...(thinks hard)...when the cats and the mice are playing...

(From Towed in a Hole)

Stanley: You know, Ollie, I been thinkin'!
Oliver: What about?
Stanley: Well, if we caught our own fish, then we wouldn't have to pay for it and whoever we sold it to, it would be clear profit.
(Ollie stops the truck. He sets the brake. He turns to Stanley)
Oliver: Tell me that again.
Stanley: Well, if we caught our own fish, then...the people we sold it to wouldn't have to pay for it...the profit would go to the fish...
Oliver: That's a pretty smart thought!

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Gwyn: "OMG it looks like he's trying to hump Stan who is just out of frame (but still in the audience's mind). I'm really surprised they could get away with that, although I guess this would be pre-Code, yes? or no?"

Oh, it WAS pre-Hays, and now that you mention it, those two did LOTSA stuff that looked REALLY gay, especially in OUR WIFE, where cross-eyed Ben Turpin accidentally marries Stan & Ollie...and then walks over and kisses Oliver a big WET one right on the mouth!!!

BE BIG was way up there too, when Stan is trying to pull off Oliver's boot, and as he drags Ollie across the floor he gets his foot stuck in Ollie's shirt, and then his head, and then he's pulled to the floor (meanwhile, Stan is whimpering as the problem gets worse), and they wind up rolling over each other like a seal and walrus in mating season!!

They had a very difficult time with their women too! Those guys could not handle women! I consider CHICKENS GO HOME a masterpiece (trivia: if you ever saw the 2nd Austin Powers movie there is a gag when the midget is sitting beneath Mike Myers, and entirely draped by an overcoat; I THINK Myers got that gag from CGH, where they have an unconscious Mae Busch sitting atop Oliver, both covered with a coat...and then you see Oliver's head pop out from under her dress, upside down!)

My other favorite is SCRAM!

Nothing, of course, surpasses SONS OF THE DESERT!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Chuck,

Stan's twists in his vocabulary were seminal.

One of my own favorites is when he expresses himself as being "utterly housebroken".

If you head for the rentals, only get the dvds (unless there's no choice). That's where the re-masters do those guys justice. I lucked out ROYALLY a couple of months ago when Turner finally did a L&H marathon; I recorded them all (except for the few I didn't like as much). These joining the feature dvds I own pretty much completes my run!

Speaking for myself, I can't handle L&H in silents! They used dialog as part of their timing and to me that's their staple! IMO, VERY few of their sound movies would work well as silents, and NONE of their silents can hold an angstrom to their sound era stuff.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Gwyn, Lori, Prince is playing two shows in Oakland. If you can afford 45 bucks for the nosebleed seats, your ears will find blessings unfortold. My sister hates Prince but saw him play and said it was the best show she ever saw.

--------

Comcast said that it wouldn't mess with the news division. Ha, ha, ha, ha, haa, haaa, hee, he, he, hee, heee!!

That's good.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:22 pm

*Runs by in a hurry*

Sorry, everyone, for being gone for so long now! I've been trying to adapt to the second semester of College life, and dear god, now I've to work on the preparations for the October exams. Gwynn, if you manage to read this, I'm sorry if I haven't been around to discuss Islamic theology with you, my dear, but Heaven knows I've nothing but time, and yet it keeps slipping away. If you (and anyone else here on the board, for that matter, seeing I'm always up for it) are willing to join me on Facebook (health permitting of course), do come by. Diane and Lori already have my name and so do you, and more than happy to talk to any of you there (well, except for Jan: nothing personal, honestly, but my good Germanic acquaintance is a bit too busy for chatting and prefers a conversation via e-mail, so who am I to stamp my foot around and annoy him :P ? )
I must be going now, to work on Calculus.

Do reply.

A fellow from Portugal (missing you all)

K. (João Pedras)

Return to “General”