THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:42 pm

Diane, what are the scores about? Are you saying some of the films on your list are not masterworks?

Barber, Moulin Rouge? We need to debate that sometime.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Perfect films...

From your list Casablanca, The Apartment and Wizard of Oz would certainly qualify.

As an actual southerner Gone With the Wind makes me want run over cats with a lawnmower. Sorry about that. Hard to explain. Guess you had to be there.

Never was a huge fan of the Godfather movies. Can't say why.

Some movies that stuck with me-

Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven
Seven Days in May
The Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol (1953?)
Forbidden Planet
Solaris (Tarkovsky!)
Throne of Blood (Kurasawa)
The Seventh Victim
The Mummy (Karloff!)
Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)
Captain Blood (More Errol Flynn!)

And then there are rainy Sunday afternoon movies... Ten Commandments , The Razor's Edge, X - Man With the X-Ray Eyes, Missiles of October...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Argh! Forbidden Planet. Definitely Forbidden Planet.

Near the top.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Richard Basehart had to sell out because the culture is rotten? Don't buy it. He and everyone have choices. Nothing was stopping him from waiting for a better film or tv show or opting out and doing something else.

We make our moral choices. Nobody forces us to bite the golden key.

-----------

Movies are my life:

Evil Dead 2
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Vertigo
Schindler's List
A.I
Rear Window
Annie Hall
Bowling For Columbine

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:35 pm

In no particular order:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove
The Godfather
Annie Hall
Apocalypse Now
It's a Wonderful Life
Schindler's List
E.T.
Sunset Boulevard
Psycho
Vertigo
Casablanca
Duck Soup
King Kong (the original, of course)
Blade Runner

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 pm

well, 15 mins. and the first to come to mind are beyond me now, but here's a few not yet listed, some brought to mind:
we're no angels
mysterious island
clockwork orange
dark city
what's up tiger lily
the trouble with harry
north by northwest
rocky horror picture show
seconds
cat on a hot tin roof
the long hot summer
fargo
alien
donnie darko
charade and on and on...
follow your bliss,mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 pm

oh, damn!
who's afraid of virginia wolf
one flew over the cuckoo's nest
there are just so many!
follow your bliss,mike

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks guys. It's hard to limit it. Frank, the scores were my rating of the flicks from 1-10. These were the first ones that came to my mind. African Queen also came to mind; it is a good story. The first Godfather is a good movie, probably a great one, it just did not resonate with me. GWTW got some points off because watching it now, there are things that bug me. Some scenes are too long, the whole escape from Atlanta. And at times I want to slap all the main characters, especially Ashley. I cant stand Psycho, and I've been able to sit through Citizen Kane. Forbidden Planet was one of my dads favorite flicks'; one night it was on and I watched it with him. It was good! Gotta run but this is a fun discussion

diane bartels

Thanks guys. It's hard to limit it. Frank, the scores were my rating of the flicks from 1-10. These were the first ones that came to my mind. African Queen also came to mind; it is a good story. The first Godfather is a good movie, probably a great one, it just did not resonate with me. GWTW got some points off because watching it now, there are things that bug me. Some scenes are too long, the whole escape from Atlanta. And at times I want to slap all the main characters, especially Ashley. I cant stand Psycho, and I've been able to sit through Citizen Kane. Forbidden Planet was one of my dads favorite flicks'; one night it was on and I watched it with him. It was good! Gotta run but this is a fun discussion

diane bartels

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:13 am

My Basehart flange was a low blow, so I take it back. Forgive me Sir.

----------

Wow, good to see some clear heads on Godfather. I'm not that big on that movie either. Jus a bunch of gangsters talking shop, a few getting shot every so often. Obviously it is made very well. I still will take Apocalypse Now Redux any day and sunday.

I even think the Dracula remake he did was better. That opening scene on the battlefield is right up there with Fellini.

Blood Simple, another of many. Blair Witch.

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:38 am

I Never Sang for My Father. Gene Hackman and Melvyn Douglas pure gold in a film adaptation of Robert Anderson's play. For my money, this (rather than Salesman) is the great American tragedy.

Bests to all,
--tr

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Slingblade, how can I forget Slingblade!

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:53 pm

I think I’ll go slowly on my list, so here’s the first one that came to mind:

2001: a Space Odyssey.

This film was the leading, bleeding edge of what motion pictures could do. It was modern myth-making written large on movie screens, an attempt to create and use a new language for filmic story telling.

Technically, it was the pinnacle of what you could do with optical/mechanical effects, just as the SR-71 and X-15 were the pinnacle of aircraft designed with slide rules and drafting pencils.

2001 didn’t just influence SF filmmaking. One example that comes to mind is from One Hour Optical. The image of Robin Williams’ character, Sy Parrish, standing in the white, sterile environment of the SavMart seems to me an echo of Dave Bowman in the hotel simulacrum where he is transformed. Although the ideas that the two images are trying to convey may be different, the emotional impact is the same. We see a human being in an artificial, alien environment.

For me, 2001 was a mind-blowing experience, even though I first saw it in a high school auditorium. It had a projection booth, and Mr. Jennings, an English teacher and major film buff, had rented the film, two anamorphic lenses and duct-taped two screens together to come as close to a big-screen experience as possible.

I always appreciate a movie that has aliens that are truly alien. Don’t get me wrong, I like Klingons, Vulcans and Narns, but it’s the mysterious presence of the unknown entities of the aliens in 2001, or the planet-sized intelligence of Solaris or the unseen Krell that tickle my imagination most.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:12 am

Absolutely agree Chuck.

The guys painted blue with the rubber ears just kills it for me. (What made Spock work was purely Nimoy's acting skill. I'm afraid when I saw the new guy I immediately thought, Saturday Night Live sketch.)

Of course its a budget thing. It costs much less to paint up a Kilingon than to do something completely alien. That's why I enjoyed B5's Vorlons which was a nice compromise.

You know, as we go further and further into the CGI age I'm convinced that what makes 2001 hold up was the detailed model work. CGI just lacks presence. It's cartoon like.

But I'm not a luddite. One film I'm looking forward to is John Carter of Mars. The guy who wrote the Toy Story films and The Incredibles is writing and directing. It will be live characters in a CGI created environment.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”