THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:40 am

"Define ONE of the “unaccountable tyrannies” that me defending my personal copyright surrenders my freedom to. Just one. What I see is my ability to tell people to stop sharing my shit for free. If that means that CNBC may get pissy if I try to post a 20 year old interview, oh freaking well.

Then again – don't bother, because I'm going back to my previous stance with your posts."

If you read what I said you noticed I defended personal copyright protection, just not protection for Disney or Time Warner, who use that protection to make huge monopoly profit and more importantly control speech.

So it doesn't matter that CNBC could use the airwaves to keep certain speech from the public, a public that needs to know alternative views and issues? This is one reason why our side is trying to come up with an alternative to the big media.

The reason the tea party is so uninformed is because they rely on talk radio and Fox news for their information. If one or a dozen of them could witness a Chomsky or John Pilger could their skewed views be changed? Sure, but the media needs to be more free.

---------------------

If you check the archives here you will notice that Diane once said that she thought I was highly informed. I have her on record. She can't expect me to be nice to her when she thinks my views are silly.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:42 am

Limit copyrights, don't end them. More liberal rules for speech that has a social/political bent. Instead of giving copyright holders 90 years of protection, only give them thirty, forty. Hell, Jefferson, as I said, only wanted copyrights to last 14 years.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:25 pm

sometimes you just have to let it go

save yourselves
think of the children
there is hope for the children if you don't waste your strength on those beyond help.
cynic wrote:resist the temptation

helping can be futile

this may become my mantra
follow your bliss,mike

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:38 pm

But but but ... I ... Barber said... and .. I think everyone should be nice to me, specially someone I usually defend the dog shit outta and Im a sweetie pie. But but but oh butt! Mike ur right as in correct.
I quit. So guys what else is up?

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Or, in the words of my idol, Homer Simpson, "See, Bart? Let this be a lesson to you. Never help anyone."

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:59 pm

She can't expect me to be nice to her when she thinks my views are silly.

Howzabout just common courtesy?

Don't imagine you own the place and we're all your guests.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:49 am

Hello, everyone. Sorry for my absence: college has got me down and considering my choices in life in terms of professional future. Couple that with problems at home (which I'd like to mention only once, here and now) and some zig-zagging self-doubt and ego fluctuations, and you get me forgetting about the forum's existence.
Besides the conflict I missed between Diane and Frank, what else has happened while I was gone?

K.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:22 am

Ezra, you know how I am about ownership?

Me and Diane will be going to the prom, so don't worry guys. The poodle dress is in the mail Diane.

------------

Rob, exactly, you do remind me of Homer Simpson and I'm Bart. Yeppers.

Mike is that baby on Family Guy.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:39 am

Diane is correct. I didn't defend Frank so much as tell Diane not to get so wound up.

"The reason the tea party is so uninformed is because they rely on talk radio and Fox news for their information. If one or a dozen of them could witness a Chomsky or John Pilger could their skewed views be changed? Sure, but the media needs to be more free. "

I seriously doubt that many in the tea party would listen to Chomsky or Pilger with an open mind. Would you listen to Coulter or Palin similarly? Would an afternoon with either of them convince you to drop your ideological bent and recant?

Frank, I don't need to point much further than the 'ol Internet for an example of the results of a completely unfettered "medium". Not to toe Harlan's line here, but you will find many hundreds of websites claiming to be authorities on any particular topic. You will find hundreds more that will claim journalistic intent. And each and every one of them is pure bunk.

Do I agree wholeheartedly that government and corporations ought to control the media? No, of course not. But they do a damned sight better job of reporting than do so many of the wannabees. Personally, I find CBS News far more reliable than the Drudge Report. And The New York Times and Al Jazeera a great deal more objective than Andrew Breitbart. And certainly on the Progressive side of things, we would agree that Woodward and Bernstein were infinitely more even-handed than is anything Michael Moore produces.

Breitbart, Moore and Drudge are merely three examples of your unfettered media. There are many more.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:54 pm

Frank: "Rob, exactly, you do remind me of Homer Simpson and I'm Bart."

You ARE, indeed:

You don't work
Someone else supports you
You blow off school
You're dense

....YEPPERS!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:19 pm

I forgot to give massive props to my anarchist peeps for being the first people to resist early fascism in the 20s and 30s. It cost them plenty, but they were noble warriors.

In Italy you had Arditi del Popolo. Luigi Fabbri was one of the first people to condemn the coming menace. Italian anarchists repelled the black shirts in Parma.

Obviously you had the anarchists in Spain, who had collectives, until they were crushed by the Stalinists and by the fascists.

The resistance movements in France and Italy during WW2 were largely anarchist. Later crushed, with help from us. So much for our hatred of fascism, an obvious ruse.

Everything from unions to the 8 hour day, thank an anarchist.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Alan Moore, you delightful creature, save us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfF-nxjDi0

So, Lori, is the writer of Watchmen and V for Vendetta, is he crazy as well?

I forgot he was an anarchist. Good God. Maybe you people will budge when I present someone you respect.

"The only moral system." Yes, Mr. Moore, so true.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Frank -- Have you ever seen or heard Moore in person?

He's a brilliant writer, and I love his work -- (you forgot From Hell) -- but I'm not sure you should be pulling your philosophy from his personal political doctrine.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:42 pm

[quote="robochrist"]I believe "Frank" was here even before 2000, and he hasn't modified his tone by a single inflection or shown hints of growth in his knowledge. He has no concern for factual accuracy or coherence. Same wheelchair-bound act for more than 10 years: that's a helluva long time to be playing off key. Whatever his personal hang-ups, he obviously doesn't care. For whatever reason, he likes to shoot off with no interest at all in what you, Lori, or Diane have to offer.
[quote]

Agreed. I've been lurking an occasionally posting for ten plus years and I've yet to see Frank engage in a debate or conversation. I think David Loftus, whom
I miss his posts, had it right and you should just ignore his posts. I know some here like him but I have to say i think he is pretty much a troll. Maybe a mild
mannered friendly one but still a troll.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:53 pm

I just mentioned that he was an Anarchist.

--------

Tom, respect one of the old schoolers of the Harlan church. I am the heart of this place.

Return to “General”