THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Kafkahead

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Kafkahead » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:49 am

Thank you all for the kind words. Right now, I just want to lay low from the pressure of constant brainstorming and try to come back down to Earth for a while. What has been going on in the fora lately?

K.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Ezra, yea, I love it when a person milks a copyright for seventy years. How about a song writer just get off his or her lazy ass and write another song? If they can't get a hit again, tough shit.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Frank

What the hell do you know about Jerry Leiber?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Ezra, yea, I love it when a person milks a copyright for seventy years. How about a song writer just get off his or her lazy ass and write another song? If they can't get a hit again, tough shit.

The fruit of my labor is mine. And will be shared with others only to the degree to which I wish to share it.

If you don't agree then why do you support labor rights against management who want to do to the workers just what you want to do to the creative artist, exploit their labor for your own self?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 am

It's a shame that phpBB will let you filter individuals directly, but doesn't filter out quotes from that individual in the posts of other users.

Still, a half-measure of personal reading freedom is better than none at all.

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:06 pm

FinderDoug wrote:It's a shame that phpBB will let you filter individuals directly, but doesn't filter out quotes from that individual in the posts of other users.

the very reason it didn't work for me.
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Cut me some slack guys. I'm having personal issues I cannot get into.

Society is crumbling, just know that.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Roger Gjovig, look on the upper right hand corner of the header of the forum and click on REGISTER. Follow the instructions, and you'll get your ticket punched to enter the playground with us. Please come! :D

In general, however, note that this forum exists so that Harlan doesn't have to be bothered in his dotage by our querulous playground noise.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:37 am

In other topics, I've found a tiny shop in a mall past the river that sells Asimov's Magazine and Analog. I bought the latest Asimov, hoping it was less of a bore than Analog. Turns out it's just a simplified version of Analog, just as morose and boring. Anyone able to advise me on a good story magazine? I've had my eyes on Weird Tales lately...

K.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:25 am

Kafka, I have bought and enjoyed the magazine Murky Depths. Its a collection of short story and graphic fiction, normally tending towards the darker side of fiction. I'll enclose the link for you to have a peek and peruse at your own leisure. Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.murkydepths.com/

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Well, I'm back from Mt. Evans, a nice afternoon jaunt. It's 90 degrees down here, but it was in the forties on the mountain. It's the first time in a looonnng while I've been above the timberline. The first sheer dropoff on the curvy road -- no guardrails -- did increase the pucker factor for the first few times. Highest paved road in the US of A. Alas, it was raining by the time I got there, and I forgot my jacket. I tried to tough it out, like the bicyclists who grind their way up to the top, but I'm not that rugged. Too cold and wet to stay outside. Still, it was worth the trip. I'm going up again tomorrow, earlier this time, with coat and camera. It's unspeakably beautiful up there, even when the weather isn't. Lots of hiking trails, rocks to climb, etc. Moutain goats, too, if you look sharp.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Just got back from Mt. Evans -- again! This trip was much more successful. I came better prepared and the weather was kinder. The temp was all the way up to forty-nine degrees! I stopped at Summit Lake, then took the road all the way to the top. It's a narrow road, no guardrail, no shoulder. There were a number of bicyclists on the way. I have to admire the stamina these people have, and the courage. If you get rear-ended by an SUV on a bike, you're pretty much a grease spot. There was a bit of a crowd there today (Saturday, of course there would be) but it was still pleasant, with hawks wheeling around in the air, swooping, diving. There was one that would catch just the right updraft and hang there for a few minutes. I may have gotten a photo of that -- maybe.

I walked some trails, clambered over some rocks, tried not to damage the vegetation. In all, a good day.

Chuck

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:32 pm

follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Ah, Chuck, don't cha have all season to be cold? lol

brrrrrrr

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Beautiful photos, Mike. I don't think mine will do those justice. I didn't do justice to the hawks I saw up there. Just some small, dark forms. Alas.

Hey Frank, it's been goddamn hot down here. Going up to where it's cooler is a relief. Helluva drive, though. I think I'll wait a while to go back up.

Chuck

Return to “General”