THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby markabaddon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:14 am

Michael, smack talk is perfectly cool with me. You don't take it personal, I don't take it personal, it all in good fun. With that being said, David Wright molests collies :P (quote from a great movie, anybody get it?)

Here is one thing about those "Moneyball" A's, and Wyatt touched on it earlier: the prevalence of luck, espeically when one enters the playoffs. The A's had a 2-0 lead in the series with the Yanks if I remember and just could not close it out. If Jeremy Giambi slides instead of going in standing up, would we be having this conversation, or if Jeter does not make one mind-blowing play after another to keep the Yanks in it?

At the heart of Moneyball is a concept that you look for those characteristics that translate to success and are undervalued in the market to maximize your resources. That is an approach that will win regardless of a sport, or a business setting

Lori, it appears likely that your Giants will face my Phillies in the NLCS, as they would be favored over the Braves and the Phils over the Reds. We shall then see how far your rotation can take you, as you face the Phillies lead by H2O (Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt)
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Point of fact: The notion of luck flies out the window when you are talking about stellar play by a professional baseballer.

Go Yanks. Looking at you FinderMan.
Rick

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm with you Dragon: I never could understand or care about any sport at all (which leads to really awkward PE lessons). I can sort of get into the spirit if I care who wins, but the rest of the year? Fagedaboudit. And having spent World Cup season in the UK. . .well, I'm not one to criticize my hosts.

There's an interesting book out about how Slobodan Milosovic utilized Serbian football hooligans as personal militias. . .

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Cubswin cubs win cubs win!!!!!

And i'm a south sider too (shakes head)

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Don't know who else I missed mentioning in my interview in the Pav but Goldberg and Bartels really lit me up for it.

love,
Rick

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Hey Diane

Now, you know that I love you just about as much as I love anyone around here... But hon, you may wanna get a mental health check up....

Now with that said, Chi town is Chi town right? So what dose it matter that your on the Southside? Please help me understand. Ya see here in the SF Bay Area it's easy. You are an A's fan or a Giant's fan, and that's that.

Speaking of Giants, Mark I am gonna assume that you are talking football Giants, cause last time I checked, you aren't quite old enough for a threatened lynching from the BASEBALL ones.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Lori, yes I meant the NY GIant football team

Keeney, I said this to you before, but you are a MOOK!

To reinforce that point, and to emphasize the role that luck plays in baseball, let us examine a game, oh say played in Wrigley field (since tehre seem to be Cubs fans present). Let us assume the wind is blowing in that day, the pitcher is not having a particularly good day on the mound, allowing a lot of flyballs, but because of the wind, those pitches are knocked down and become outs. Use the same exact scenario, hell use the same pitches and situation, but change one tiny factor, allow the breeze to blow out ever so slightly. Now, instead of a pitcher appearing to do well, under almost identical circumstances using the same exact pitch sequence, you have a pitcher who appears to be having a horrible day

I could use other examples demonstrating how luck affects baseball (Cole Hamels 2009 statistics compared to 2010 is a good example), but this one is easiest to visualize.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks gang!

Now no matter where I go, as long as I've got an internet connection I can keep up with the Giants. I didn't realize that MLB.com actually does live updates of the scores of all games being played on any given day!!

BTW, not that any one other than me really gives a poop, Bottom of the 2nd and no score.... Giants have won 2 outta the three, and may just sweep this one!

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Just saying, Goldberg, the examples you cited in your previous paragraph on "luck" look nothing of the sort. Luck involves black cats, and goats, fan interference- all this randomness aboard the coattails of superstition. Recall bad luck with regard to the Bambino? Boston outlived that one; God eat their foul black hearts.

Mook this,
Rick

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:26 pm

While some of you bask in the afterglow of MADCON and others encourage their sports favorites the rest of us have to go through our regular lives. For example I just got back from the supermarket. You folks are intelligent, sophisticated, worldly. Perhaps you can answer some questions that occur to me.

Shouldn't there be a Designated Moron Lane for those poor folks who can't quite master the self-checkout lane? Wouldn't that be more efficient than spreading them out over all the lanes?

The next Joker in a future Batman movie should be Rachel Ray. Do you think she had that smile botoxed on? How long would you have to stare at her shit-eating grin until it mysteriously morphed into a rictus of rage and despair?

If there really are multiple universes beyond our own as some edgy physicists speculate, do you suppose Oprah's ego is even bigger than we thought it was? You know, if she had political ambitions I would be truly frightenend.

just wonderin'.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

swp

Postby swp » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:While some of you bask in the afterglow of MADCON and others encourage their sports favorites the rest of us have to go through our regular lives.

noted. "regular" would be a nice change right about now. at least for some of us.

Ezra Lb. wrote:For example I just got back from the supermarket. You folks are intelligent, sophisticated, worldly.

ha! :lol: come on now, there are phillies fans present! surely you meant to qualify that last remark in some way. :|

Ezra Lb. wrote:Perhaps you can answer some questions that occur to me.

yes. we can. and will. but you may not like the answers.

Ezra Lb. wrote:Shouldn't there be a Designated Moron Lane for those poor folks who can't quite master the self-checkout lane? Wouldn't that be more efficient than spreading them out over all the lanes?

yes, there should be. unfortunately, due to an unfortunate lack of space in most supermarkets caused by an oversight on the part of the master planning committee (which swears that the check it sent to the idea factory in schenecdidy did NOT in fact bounce), we had to combine certain lanes. sorry it had to be yours and theirs. requests for remedial action can be submitted to the master planning committee, in writing, and in triplicate (no mechanically reproduced copies accepted), at least 6 months prior to their next meeting which is scheduled to occur sometime after the next CUBS world series victory celebration.

Ezra Lb. wrote:The next Joker in a future Batman movie should be Rachel Ray. Do you think she had that smile botoxed on? How long would you have to stare at her shit-eating grin until it mysteriously morphed into a rictus of rage and despair?

interesting concept. perhaps you should talk to those men over in the corner about a nice new jacket. something in white perhaps? you know the kind, with the long arms that wrap you in a big hug all the time.

Ezra Lb. wrote:If there really are multiple universes beyond our own

there are. trust me on this one.

Ezra Lb. wrote:as some edgy physicists speculate,

harumph! idea stealers and luddites, every one of them.

Ezra Lb. wrote:do you suppose Oprah's ego is even bigger than we thought it was?

depends on how large you think it is. currently, the new from of math we are inventing to help calculate it's size has it estimated at slightly under the total area of the Eurasian continental mass with an estimated mass just over that of either a brown dwarf star or Starr Jones. the uncertainty principle makes it impossible to be sure, of course.

Ezra Lb. wrote:You know, if she had political ambitions I would be truly frightenend.

and well you should be. for her ambitions stretch far and wide. and she is very subtle in her machinations. playing kingmaker on a global scale. putting the pieces in place, all according to her master plan. (no relation to the master planning committee, just a coincidence. nothing to see here, move along. move along.)

Ezra Lb. wrote:just wonderin'.

just sayin' is all.

swp
swp

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:34 pm

slaymaker,

you comment on the Pav made me fall over.

laughing,
Keeney

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:02 am

would someone please ask Tim Richmond to contact me?

please?

rick_keeney@yahoo.com

please?

thanks.

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:31 am

Rick Keeney wrote:slaymaker,

you comment on the Pav made me fall over.

laughing,
Keeney

Rick, glad to be of service. By the way, Chelsea is stunning, sweet, and way too nice to be your daughter.
Change is a dragon. You can ignore it, which is futile. You can fight it, in which case you will lose. Or you can ride it.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:38 am

Rick -
I'm a bit surprised I don't have Tim's email. I know Barney must have it. Shoot him an email asking for him to forward to Tim.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”