THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby diane bartels » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Robo, we are all ignorant about something. I do not like gratuitous cruelty. Frank can be wrong and piss people off(including me) but he is not usually cruel. I just thought of some posts where he was; there are exceptions to everything ,including that statement.

There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us, that no one of us should throw rocks at any of the rest of us.

Your friend diane

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm a ladies man, what can I say.

-----------

You guys want an uplift. This is the ending to the film Umberto D. If you don't want the spoiler, then don't watch, but this starts out as the saddest scene in American movie history and becomes the most uplifting and hopeful. If this shit don't make you bawl like a baby you are dead inside. This goes out to our dog lover Steven Barber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erornDbrlkk

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Diane...I'm aware of that.

But Frank (or Paul, or whatever) spends almost every moment here (10 years for chrissake!!) arguing behind facades, hence my aggressive retort. If, after endless, tiresome loops of discourse on Israel and the complex storms of the Middle East, a guy shows no growth on the subject, and tries to discard another as the ignorant participant, then his credibility is in question.

Thus, I'm asking Frank to demonstrate what he DOES know. If he has read about those decades in the Middle East when the Mufti was put into place, when policies toward Jews in the region were frameworked, then Frank should have some idea about how complicated the situation has been, more so than he tends to argue.

I'm always learning something new about the issues. If this guy is going to paint another as vague on the facts, then he'd better be ready to show he himself knows what he's talking about.

So, never mind this "symbolic context". I started the subject for a reason. And it was Frank's "big mouth" that started it:

If Frank claims to know what he's talking about then let him prove it, rather than handing everyone in the room his predictable bullshit.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Wrong thread when discussing Israel, squiggles. You know where to post about that scary subject.

----------

Good to see LA know longer has those god awful hot spells. Too bad about Tarantino's editor dying of heat stroke. Sad scene.

sjarrett

Postby sjarrett » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:50 pm

FrankChurch wrote:This is the ending to the film Umberto D. If you don't want the spoiler, then don't watch, but this starts out as the saddest scene in American movie history and becomes the most uplifting and hopeful.

It certainly is a great scene from a great film. But not from American movie history. This one belongs to the Italian cinema.

You knew that, of course -- I'm sure it was just a slip of the tongue (or, in this case, a slip of the keyboard) to attribute it to the American cinema, but after 30 years of teaching cinema courses it's just a reflex to call attention to this kind of slip-up. The important thing is that you were aware of this supremely humane film and were moved to share it. Bravo.

Steve J.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:49 am

Umberto D. is a VERY good film.

Saw it at UCLA once, and it deserves a revisit.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Rob, did you tear up? Did you cry? Did you ball up kleenex and mop at your foggy eyes?

I admire a man who can cry at the drop of a flag.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Frank, 'COURSE I teared up. That's what your posts always do to me.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 pm

looks as if the Twins are gearing up for their last series of the season...

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Rick, how 'bout a role in the final episode?

We're going to push the sodomy even harder in the finale!

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Um, Rob - pretty sure Keeney's talking about the Minnesota variety of Twins and the ALDS starting tonight against the Yankees, and not the Rob and Frank Show. Wrong twins - not that there's anything wrong with that.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:55 pm

You mean the Frank and Rob show.

Have a good day Dougie love.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:32 pm

FinderDoug,

Well, I for one am disappointed! I mean...the more the merrier, theoretically...

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:14 am

I've a present for Ezra and everyone else interested

It's a song that reminds me of freedom and fraternity. That's the actual theme of the song, as written by Zeca Afonso, one of the idols of the Carnation Revolution (better known in Portugal as "A Revolução dos Cravos", that ocurred on the 25th of April of 1974) when the long fascist night died and the people were introduced to democracy.
As I mentioned before, the theme of the song is fraternity and equality, as well freedom, based on the core, on the true heart of Communism (not the petty little ideology that the Soviet Union waved around like a sword, but the true heart of it all).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuzGPhZwG6Y

K.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:51 am

Thank you, K.

Terra da fraternidade!

That old dream. But a terrible truth for you. Sometimes fraternity and liberty may be enemies. And "the people" become a tyrant and a monster.

I curse all utopias. Because unless they are perfect, that which they cannot be, they become a nightmare. Better the wisdom of our founders, leavened as it was by their imperfect humanity, that attempted to treat human beings not as angels, or as worms, but simply as imperfect human beings. Who provided us a mechanism for living with each other without having to love each other.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”