THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

swp

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby swp » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:51 pm

robochrist wrote:SWP,

How do you know FIOS "rocks" if you've never used it?

I get out of my house occasionally and have seen it at friends and coworkers houses, and even at various bars on occasion.
swp

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:19 pm

But what struck your fancy about it exactly?

If you ever try FIOS the day it comes to your area, assuming they don't change how they run things between now and then, WAIT till you see the things they pull.

You really have to watch their billing every month, and expect orders to get fucked up. I've had them for 2 years now (after having hassles with TimeWarner). As long as I leave my orders as is, no surprises. But whenever an update is necessary - it's been SUCH a headache.

Anyway, just letting you know, NONE of these services are much better than the other - in MY experience at any rate.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:06 pm

Um. Rob. I work for the company, granted. But I'm much more in the "FiOS rocks" category.

If there's anything we've done RIGHT in the last five years, it's FiOS. You'll pry mine from my cold, dead hands.

Have to disagree with you buddy, and it's NOT because I'm an employee shareholder.

YM(Obviously)Vs
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Steve...you can't "disagree" with a failure in services I AND my roomie have experienced over the last year!

Everything I told you - literally up to the moment (they haven't yet credited my account for the extra box they accidentally mailed my roommmate).

I'm TELLING you like it is - in MY area!

I almost switched back to TimeWarner, only to remember what I had to put with THEM. I just have to watch the billing with the FIOS people very carefully.

Beyond that...in YOUR sphere...HOW does FIOS "rock" as compared to other services. There are some channels which I like that I did not get with TW, but that's the only upside.

Of COURSE you're talking out of bias! Steve, you're a buddy, but you're kidding yourself if you really believe bias isn't at work here. As an employee, however, it's best that you hold your position - admittedly. Don't take up the issue with me, because they've been a pain-in-the-ass for this particular household. If I had your job, I probably wouldn't want to get into that either.

But - sorry! - as a LONG-time customer with Verizon - LONGER by far than the time you've worked for them - I've MANY gripes with the company.

And, YET...NOT as bad as I'd had with others. It seems to come down to which company is the least "high maintenance".

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:18 pm

so,
while watching them like a hawk,
you're staying with FiOS.

not a...glowing recommendation.
not even a recommendation, per se.
( other than caveat emptor)

i can hardly wait till it's available.
thanks rob.
follow your bliss,mike

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 pm

"so,
while watching them like a hawk,
you're staying with FiOS."

Mike, if you can get the kind of service I'VE put up with, I can't think of ANYONE I'd wish it on more than YOU.

Look at the info I provided, Mike, and you'll figure out why, for the nonce, it's best to leave things as they are here in MY place.

Once ONE member decides to dumb it all down, as Mike ALWAYS does, it's time to move on to the next topic.

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:22 am

your very welcome , and thank you rob.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:36 am

(I should note that I am putting this stuff us as a person, not as any kind of spokesperson or representative of the company. There are Legal reasons I have to state that...)

Actually, Rob, my opinion is based upon having had Charter and DirecTV as previous providers. We have better services and response than we did with either of those two companies -- our router recently gave out and they were out within a day with a five minute replacement. With Charter a similar outage lasted for three days before someone could be dispatched.

The quality of the picture on FiOS is far superior to DirecTV's. We have high-def, which from the satellite provider had significant quality problems (lasting images, black objects being more grayish in coloration, pixelation of the images). They also committed some major customer support errors, which eventually cost them our business. We didn't go to FiOS because I work for the company, we moved to FiOS because it was available as an alternative to DirecTV.

Our internet is faster than it was on Charter -- we never used DTV's service -- and the phone service has never had a hiccup.

I can't hazard a guess as to why your billing is hosed, nor why the number of boxes are in dispute (it's a very simple procedure for them to go into your house and test the number of boxes electronically. 1+1 does not equal 4). It seems your complaint is not about the service itself, but the support. If it's support, you have a number of options to reduce the madness. Escalate, escalate, escalate.

Yes I'm an employee -- but I also professionally evaluate services, features, benefits and overall performance of telecommunications products, so I hope that allows me some sort of independent thought. It's what I do. Verizon does not always win such competitions and I recognize that when I see it. Based upon what I have compared FiOS with, as well as anecdotal comments from a number other people regarding FiOS, Comcast and TW. Yours is one of the first major complaints I've heard. Nothing is perfect. No service, no company.

(I also have JD Powers reconfirming my estimation.)

I would, if I were you, escalate the heck out of that billing issue and make sure it's something you're on record as having difficulties with. I've always found that dealing solely with the customer support reps doesn't always satisfy my requirements -- and since I'm the customer, guess who's requirements are most important to me.

Give 'em Hell.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:59 am

Just saw Sara's Rejection Letter. My brain short-circuited at the sight of the answer. I mean, it's one thing to say "We do not enjoy some aspects of the submission, but please feel free to send us any other material of yours", which in itself is a bit frustrating, but ultimately still leaves room to try another approach, but it's another thing to tell her to never send submissions to them ever again.
It's PublishAmerica all over again, I tell you.

K.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:44 am

I was most amused to note that the headlines regarding Margaret Thatcher's 85th birthday were rather rudley relegated from the front pages of newspapers by a good news story about miners. Frankly I have always found that woman to be the most reprehensible and evil human being since Adolf Hitler. I know this is something the average American doesnt understand but that is because you didnt have to live under her yoke for nearly 15 years.

She pretty much destroyed every industry in the UK, from steel, ship building and the motor car industry to the coal miners who went on strike to try and save what they could of their industry. Her response was to brutally attack the miners, bringing in anti union laws that made it almost impossible for anyone to go on strike again. She also took free milk from children, something they used to get to help them develop and grow healthy. If anyone else had done something so nasty, so malicious then I suspect they would have been strung up for public flagilation. Her policies also created very high unemployment, free education suddenly not being a right, interest rates in the banks hitting unbelievable levels and the general demise of the UK as a world power.

Frankly when she dies I think they should just dump the bitch into one of the mines that she closed. Job done.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:31 am

Hi Steve. Thanks all for your replies, everyone. Steve, I get phone, cable including HBO, and internet from Comcast. And the first couple of months they rocked. Then they started trying to sneak late fees past me and surcharges. Okay, debit card payments helped with that. Then it would cut me off the internet and say no connection, while the modem and the router were flashing happy green lights. This was a couple of months ago. Then about three or four weeks ago, that happened four or five nights in a row. No internet. And they kept saying that their equipment in the office said my connection was just fine. They made me check the router and the modem, which is behind one huge and very heavy bookcase filled with stuff and some very heavy books. Happily flashing green. They persisted in saying I had a connection when I didn't. Each time the connection was back in the morning. Sadly I am awake a lot in the middle of the night. When like a baby with her bottle i want my Art Deco pavilion, my Facebook, my WoW.

Finally ala Sherlock, I linked the lost internet connection with the no late night service on the video on demand and deduced they were doing in house maintainence in their system when they figured most folk were sleepybyes. So I called them one night, shared my conclusions, and went all Harlan on them. Told them if my internet connection wasn't on instanter, i was disconnecting the whole shebang. Guess what, had a connection five minutes later. But it all happened again in two days. Plus I stopped being able to send e-mail to yahoo customers. Plus in the course of checking this out, they changed my password and then had the unbareable temerity to tell me I forgot it. After they left me a message saying they had changed it. So I called headquarters in Philly and shared some severe ire with the head flunkies and the legal dept., threatening dead gophers and lawsuits. After which, my internet connection has been all good. But they said they fixed the e-mail and they haven't. And I am trying to apply for jobs at the Rehab Institute, and to Northwestern's MFA in Creative Writing. And I need my e-mail. It is mostly, though, their smug overbearing condescedning attitude toward me. It makes me resent giving them dime one. They are so sure they are the only dog and pony show. Hence my inquiry.

What is Fios? How would one get this? Thanks Steve.
Diane

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:16 am

Ian, Ha-joon Chang talks about the iron bitch in his book. She dismantled the protectionist policies and it killed the UK. Her and her lover Ronnie Raygun went hither and yon brainwashing the public in this free market hustle. Markets work best when regulated, but don't tell the true believers.

Chang works at Cambridge, so you should see one of his talks.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:16 am

follow your bliss,mike

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Do I have Thatcher to thank for Arriva? I've lost count of how many times those buses have simply failed to show up. I think a monkey with a rickshaw could get me to work faster. . .

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Hey, within about 10 years those rickshaws will be all OVER the U.S., thanks in part to the sponsorship of the Chamber of Commerce!

Return to “General”