THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:57 pm

Wow, USA Today has put out a list of the most literate cities in America. A bit of a surprise:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/201 ... .htm#chart

Look at how high Atlanta is? Cincinnati did good, so do many midwestern cities. Kudos to St. Paul and Minneapolis.

Obviously, most red states have low numbers, but look at Los Angeles! Look at Long Beach! Barber, Long Beach!!

Nebraska is more literate than hip LA. Shameful. I blame surfing.

San Francisco is lower than I would have thought. Look at how low NY City is! All those elite liberals and nobody there reads!

Kudos to Ezra's DC, number one babee. Wow, that Atlanta number still gets me. California is pathetic.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:00 pm

I admit, Frank, this is embarrassing and more than a little bit shocking. And sad.

But, while this is clearly a bad mark, LBUSD is considered one of the best urban school districts in the nation (twice nominated and once winner of the Broad Prize and the US News and World Reports Annual review), and created the Freedom Writers Project. It's also the district who's students handed the Westboro Baptists their backsides last year by showing unity and progressiveness.

Lets hope the next generation shows us a little bit better next time around.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:rocrizzo wrote

You know, everyone gets mad at me, and I get mad at everyone from time to time.
It's only a matter of time until I piss each and every one of you off.

If I pissed Harlan off, big deal. He'll get over it. The same goes for anyone else.

I am not afraid to speak my mind, and can take it. If you can't take it, too bad.

I always say it's better to get pissed off than pissed on.

rr, sorry but it is not within your power to piss me off by anthing you post here. And I think you probably have less power over the rest than you imagine as well. It is not a question of being "afraid to speak my mind". What courage is required to post here?

It is useful to remember that when we write we often reveal more about ourselves than we fully intend.

Write something interesting and don't be so concerned about what other people think.

Not every conversation need be a confrontation and no one needs to piss off or piss on.

When did Rizzo post that? Wow. That really pisses me off.

I jest. But wow.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:53 pm

Old, old, old topic and debate, but for the final word on the disagreement between Frank and me regarding the costs and financial impact of Vancouver's 2010 Olympics/Paralympics we turn to the official auditors PricewaterhouseCoopers. At the time I stated "time would tell" whether Frank's prediction of financial disaster -- or my prediction of solid benefit to the city and surroundings -- would be correct.

Looks liked "benefit" wins the day. Jobs and spanking-new infrastructure paid for, and the games broke even.

Vancouver Olympics generated $2.5 billion

Games themselves broke even

BY JEFF LEE, POSTMEDIA NEWS DECEMBER 18, 2010

T he Vancouver 2010 Winter Games not only brought home a heavy medal haul for Canada, it turned out to be a rousing financial success for Canada and British Columbia, according to two new government-sponsored studies.

The studies, released Friday, indicate the Olympic and Paralympic Games generated as much as $2.5 billion in gross domestic product in B.C. alone.

The reports were produced by accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Vancouver+Olympics+generated+billion/3997570/story.html#ixzz1BvQEIQ4W
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:19 am

Heavy Medal always pays off. . .

Brian Phillips

Postby Brian Phillips » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:43 am

I understood everything but the first word in this post. :^)

Atlanta has a lot of expatriates from bigger cities that are no longer affordable, which may explain part of the ranking. Our public school system is actually ranked rather low.

FrankChurch wrote:Wow, USA Today has put out a list of the most literate cities in America. A bit of a surprise:

Look at how high Atlanta is? Cincinnati did good, so do many midwestern cities. Kudos to St. Paul and Minneapolis.

Obviously, most red states have low numbers, but look at Los Angeles! Look at Long Beach! Barber, Long Beach!!

San Francisco is lower than I would have thought. Look at how low NY City is! All those elite liberals and nobody there reads!

Kudos to Ezra's DC, number one babee. Wow, that Atlanta number still gets me. California is pathetic.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 am

Ezra,
I wasn't trying to start any confrontation, I was merely stating a fact. Yes, we do learn more than we think when people post here.
I just thought, that since the topic was brought up, I would be up front about it. I don't hide the way that I feel, and if it gets someone mad, so be it. Just a little FYI, that's all.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm

We are the domestic enemy Roc, so we should confront real power. Our friends here are safe as milk. We do need to remember that online is not the real world.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:30 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Wow, USA Today has put out a list of the most literate cities in America. A bit of a surprise:

As a former resident of Atlanta and a current resident of DC I do find this interesting. My first question is just exactly how do they determine literacy? I ride the Metro regularly and half the folks are usually reading something. (Everyday more and more Kindles by the way. A real surge after christmas of course.)

Remember Atlanta has several major universities, Georgia Tech, Georgia St U,and my alma mater Emory U. Several major international corporations have their home offices there. They have a world class art museum and symphony. No more Gone With the Wind folks.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:34 am

Hey Frank.....

Ya know something, California may be pathetic, but come on hon... check out where the only 2 cities in YOUR home state Ranked.

Oh, you didn't know that Cleavland ranked 14th, and Toledo was just about at the bottom of the list. Do I need to remind you that San Francisco and LA ranked better.

So, I'm gonna give you the benifit of the doobie (yes I got stoned before I left this AM) and not give you shit for either not reading your own evidence, or trying to stir some shit.

Lori

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Bobbo, down here.

(Anyone care to use their one post a day to welcome Bobbo (recently posted on the Pav) and remind him of the few basic rules? I won't be able to until tomorrow.).

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Duane, read a book..lol

-----

Barber and Lori belle, to be fair, Calfornia is a huge place with many mexican immigrants. Many of them are not literate and they tend not to be counted in these surveys. There is also the weather issue: warm weather, beaches, seagulls, drug vials, people stay outside and books are an indoor sport. Cold weather tends to lead one to the library as a refuge to the frost.

------

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Nice backpedal there Frank!

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Speaking of killing two birds with one stone (weather and immigration), there is a work truck parked right outside my apartment with the keys left in it. The lights aren't on, but the windshield wipers ARE. Every fifteen seconds, there's a SQUEAK that sounds like a cross between a bird and a kitten getting strangled. Distracting as hell, but oddly funny.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Duane, I think you're hearing what's left of the Teamsters!

Return to “General”