THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:00 am

Never mind the comedians. What about all those singer/songwriters?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:09 pm

They tended to stay in Canada.

----------

Chavez, will you fucking shut up! Yea, I know.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:37 pm

FrankChurch wrote: Chavez, will you fucking shut up! Yea, I know.
is this about Kh..Qa..Ga..Ka...uh.. Libya's Leader?
whatever it's about , can you tell us what he really meant?
I'm sure it's all good.
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Chavez wants to make sure the oil will flow, as we do. Self serving behavior is what state leaders follow. Chavez is an ally with Gadafi the way we are allies with Pakistan, or were allies with Egypt.

Unless you are willing to impeach Obama then you cannot ask for Chavez's head.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Does he have to tongue kiss Gadafi on cue? lol

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:34 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Chavez wants to make sure the oil will flow, as we do. Self serving behavior is what state leaders follow. Chavez is an ally with Gadafi the way we are allies with Pakistan, or were allies with Egypt.

Unless you are willing to impeach Obama then you cannot ask for Chavez's head.

Care to tell me WHY we can't Frank?

paul

Late to the party...

Postby paul » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:03 am

... but I just got home.

"Art is whatever makes you proud to be human."
~ Amiri Baraka

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I too miss the snow. I just don't mind driving in it with all those other people three/four months a year.
The medium is the message.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 am

FrankChurch wrote:Chavez wants to make sure the oil will flow, as we do. Self serving behavior is what state leaders follow. Chavez is an ally with Gadafi the way we are allies with Pakistan, or were allies with Egypt.

So Chavez has political and economic interests in Libya? In protecting Libyan peace and oil assets? He supports Ghadafi because he's worried about who MIGHT come to power in the event Ghadafi's government fails?

Wow. I wasn't aware Venezuela had committed to such a global military and political role. So, if Ghadafi falls, as it appears he will, what will the economic and political impact be to Venezuela? Does Libya, like Pakistan, have nukes that Chavez is worried might fall into terrorists' hands? Is Chavez concerned that an unstable Libya, like Egypt, might make the Middle East peace process more difficult? Is he worried that a newly freed electorate might drive oil prices through the roof (and make Venezuela a ton of money in the process)? Is he worried that the fall of Ghadafi might make the rebel situation in neighboring Sudan worse, as it would do in Afghanistan?

Does he believe that in some nations dictatorial control is preferable to a democratic process?

Just asking.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 am

Barber wrote:Does he believe that in some nations dictatorial control is preferable to a democratic process?

Just asking.

Given his prior attempts to change his country's constitution to make him president for life, that would be a safe bet. Of course, he wanted it done "democratically" so it had the appearance of populist legitimacy.

Chavez is stridently anti-American. He also would like to be a player internationally. Venezuela has oil, so that shouldn't be that hard, but he keeps alienating other Latin American states because he's a Castro wanna-be. Criticizing American foreign policy is perfectly legitimate and there's plenty to criticize, but backing a clown is a poor way to go about it. Chavez can't get out of his own way. He praised what has happened in Egypt but now condemns what's happening in Libya. Why? Because he thinks the United States is about to send in troops to secure the oil. Right or wrong, he makes it clear he could care less about The People in either case. Mubarak was one of our "partners" so his fall is to be praised. Gadhafi is one of our enemies, so The People can go get scewed for all he cares. I'm sure in the same way he is all for democracy as long as they keep returning him to office. As soon as it looks like he'll be ousted, then it will be an American plot to undermine his regime.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 am

Mark -- Yep, I know all that. Apologies. My comments were directed at Frank as a response to his assertion that Chavez' interests in Ghadafi parallel our own in Egypt and Pakistan, which they patently do not. My questions were largely rhetorical.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Chavez wants a peaceful mediation as a way to bolster his creds as an anti-imperialist alternative to American hegemony. His relationship with Gaddafi was always strategic, but there is a debate within expertism about how close he really is the the regime.

High oil prices are actually bad because it limits sales in the end and it hurts poor people internationally, which I feel Chavez still cares about. Even our oil companies do not want oil to be too high or too low.

Chavez wants to be seen as a relevant world leader, so that he can show the American bully that diplomacy is better than war.

Or so say experts in the region, the kind our media ignore.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:42 am

Im stealing this from Gwynne over on facebook cause I'd like to see what you guys say. Also this is a brief break frompolitics, religion, etc.

Fifteen films hat will always stick with you, that spring to mind in 15 min.

1. Casablanca 10
2. Gone with the Wind 9.99
3. Richard the Third(Olivier's) brilliant acting 9.24
4. Maltese Falcon 9.44
5. The Quiet Man a consummate near perfect FILM 9.99
6. Bringing Up Baby (does anyone but me remember this one) 8.9
7. The Apartment Another near perfect 9.99
8. West Side Story 9.24
9. Cleopatra (god, she was beautiful and boy could Roddy McDowell play whiny) 9.21
10. Mary Poppins (my first movie in the theater) 8.9
11.The Wizard of Oz 10

12. Paint Your Wagon(Lee Marvin, yum yum) 8.5
13. Godfather III, a film that haunted and saddened me more than the original 9.0
14. Pink Panther Returns 8.23
15. Torn Between The magnificent Seven and Being There 9.2 for Seven and 9.5 for Being There.
So What Do You All Think.

The scores are different.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:11 pm

What if they stick with you for the wrong reasons? There are scars on my psyche I can never remove because I wasted precious minutes looking at certain films. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Lee Marvin scares me.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 pm

In no particular order, but noting that when I'm spinning the dial and see a scene from any one of the below I'm stuck for the duration of the movie.

1. Casablanca
2. West Side Story
3. Blade Runner (Director's Cut)
4. Singin' in the Rain
5. Mary Poppins
6. Bringing Up Baby (Yes, Diane, I remember it very fondly!)
7. The African Queen
8. Moulin Rouge
9. The Wizard of Oz
10. Silent Running
11.White Christmas
12. Victor/Victoria
13. The Haunting (1963)
14. It's a Wonderful Life
15. The Music Man

With honorary mentions going to What's Up, Doc?, Titanic, any classic Disney animated film, and The Caine Mutiny.

Return to “General”