THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:55 pm

*sigh*

This may piss the lot of you off, and feel free to escalate to Rick as necessary. I like and respect each and every one of you, particularly those I've had the privilege to meet.

However...

The mere presence of someone you do not like, or someone you feel is an instigator isn't really cause to begin calling names. To be perfectly honest, the activities on this board demonstrate that there is a great deal more interaction as a result of Frank's viewpoints. We're all certainly nowhere near his political bent, nor does he seem to follow the rules of a general debate (I will note he completely blew past my example of Somalia as a true anarchy).

But he does get the blood flowing around here, and I believe, in my heart, that it accomplishes something of which Harlan would approve. (I've never discussed it with him, so don't think I'm speaking for the man.) But to have a lively conversation, to have people get involved enough on this small website in the middle of nowhere to have true emotions, get angry, frustrated and emotional is a good thing.

If the only thing we gather and do on this board is get together and compare morning teas I'd be out of here in no time.

Is Frank inordinately slippery when you try to pin him? You betcha. Each and every one of you have won countless debates with him over the years, but he twisted free and moved on to another topic. Is he frustrating? Yup. Does he listen? Nope. He's our resident Conspiracy Theorist. Our resident Anarchist.

And y'all know what anarchists do, right? And how well Conspiracy Theorists listen to what they percieve to be "party line"?

Yes?

I would state that while it's at times hair-pulling dealing with the guy, he does make these forums a lot more active than they would be otherwise.

And to quote another of my favorite writers, Raymond Carver, that's a small, good thing.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Barber, I won't mention what you just said, because ah, obviously I disagree with some of it. Ah, boy. Thanks, I think.

I was wondering about Wyatt myself. He has been very quiet lately. Hope all is well.

Harlan's recent post scared the shit out of me.

The best seller thing is great, but he really scared me. I hope he is going to live a few more years. He sounds really, ah, all I can say: Scary!

-----------

Oh, yea, on Somalia, I just didn't get what you were saying. Obviously you were using the term anarchy in the sense that you use it to describe a complete societal breakdown, while actual anarchism is a complex system based on individual control of one's life.

Oh yea, I am NOT a conspiracy theorist. You may not like my vetted facts, but I hate conspiracies of any kind.

JFK was killed by a lone gunman, RFK was killed by a Palestinian fanatic, 9/11 was not an inside job, the CIA does not put AIDS in the drinking water, there are no actual ufos, crop circles are fakes, dowsing is bullshit, ESP is bunk, there is no secret office undermining the black male, Barack Obama is not a manchurian candidate.

Me sane.

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Barber wrote:*sigh*

This may piss the lot of you off, and feel free to escalate to Rick as necessary. I like and respect each and every one of you, particularly those I've had the privilege to meet.

However...
well folks;

there you have it.

frank is the heart of the Harlan church.
steve apparently agrees.
without actually handing over the key, M.Barber has made it quite clear ; "I believe, in my heart,...Harlan would (may) approve.".

engage frank at your leisure... and expense.

as steve has indicated, as far as comportment (yes, even his brand of insult); "frank knows where the line is".
I will not characterize where that line appears to be.

certainly without conflict or controversy, there is no debate.
"that's a small, good thing"
ask youself; How small? How good?
in my opinion, as to frank's actual contribution to the debate; very small, and not so good.

only frank's manner irritates me; not his adopted "positions".

i imagine debate would carry on without frank's instigation.
steve might not agree.

so; engage frank at your leisure... and expense.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:45 pm

Mike -
I will note you misread one major quote. I am pointedly saying that Harlan -- IMHO -- would approve of vigorous debate.

No more. No less.

Frank provides that.

No more. No less.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Barber wrote:Mike -
I will note you misread one major quote. I am pointedly saying that Harlan -- IMHO -- would approve of vigorous debate.

No more. No less.

Frank provides that.

No more. No less.
no steve;
i got the point.

i appologize.
"I believe, in my heart,...Harlan would (may) approve.".

i did not express with sufficient vigour, that the parenthesis indicated "your humble opinion".

thank you for correcting whatever misunderstanding and grief i may have caused everyone.

but in my opinion, frank could strive for insipiration as opposed to instigation.

no ?
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:29 pm

I absolutely agree that he could, Mike, but we have thousands of posts telling us Frank's positions and views.

I am, of course, circling the drain defending the right to free speech.

Go ahead, Mike. Take your best shot.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Umm Frankie dear, methinks u meant poodle skirt, hmmmmm? Poodle dress conjures notions of me walking around in a dead skinned poodle hide. Shudders. Shant sleep tonite.
Do like orchids though Frank.

Were any of you in youth exposed to the fairy tale of the old woman and the pig? Seems one day the old woman was taking her pig for a walk,(dont ask me I didnt write it) and they came to the stile and the pig wounldnt jump it. (?) Anyway the old woman tries to get a stick to beat the pig. Stick stick beat pig or pig wont jump over the stile and I shant get home tonite. But the stick wasnt no dumb piece of wood and wouldnt do it. So she had to get fire Fire fire burn stick. Etc. This went on awhile.

Steve, you are wonderful. Just fantastic. Please stay.

Frank, it is not really not in no way the content of your ideas. I agree with you on many more issues than u can imagine. It is instead the following three things=

1. U do not listen. It is important to listen to others even if they disagree with you. You do not. Example: asking Ezra if he has been to a church service. ??????!!! :roll:
Even I who have been here a comparatively short time know Ezra was raised in a fundamental Christian faith, left it with courage and Im sure pain, and wtf.

2. U mistake and misstate others positions. Dont know if this is on purpose or aligned with the not listening but it is very infuriating sometimes.

3. The jibes when someone calls you to task and the hehe and that sort of stuff. It would go a country mile if youd cut that stuff. Honest.

4. You have to comment on every thread. Every day. Why. I who am verbose to a fault do not do that. You comment I think more than Steve. Why. And no matter what the thread is about, u diverge to bring it back to your one or two pet interests. Why.

I liked u Frank. I want to keep on liking u. I dont want to get into bitter flameouts with u or watch my friends here do the same. Like Steve, I like and respect everyone here. Can we have a little of the selfsame respect. From you Please. And then I shall cheerfully engage in the debate.
Ty your friend Diane

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Barber wrote: I absolutely agree that he could, Mike, but we have thousands of posts telling us Frank's positions and views.
Yes, but why must such a large portion be so offensive to those that make the error of engaging him?
Barber wrote: I am, of course, circling the drain defending the right to free speech.
no man;
there is just no deffense for frank's lack of effort to stay away from useless, childish inuendo and insult.
Barber wrote: Go ahead, Mike. Take your best shot.
BANG ! :lol:
oops missed again.
you keep getting in the way boss.
didn't know you were feelin' bad, glad your better now.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Tell you what, Mike...err, "cynic".

Let's trade places, you and I. You take over the maintenance of this place. YOU be the impartial judge, jury, executioner.

YOU play the role for a while and see how much you're willing to nip at the heals. Let's see your neutrality. Fair game. Show us precisely how neutral, how fair, how impartial is your point of view after five minutes of being in the center of the storm. You seem to feel you're the best judge of such things. Lemme know. I can arrange it. Watch what you wish for, because I will hold you to such standards of fairness you see fit to snipe at from the sidelines.

Oh, what's that. Better from the rabbit burrow? Sorry, didn't appreciate the view from there.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Half an hour to think and make some decisions.

Okay, kids. Have your fill.

I've been doing this gig for five years. More than enough time. Did it as a favor to the boards at first. Then more directly to Rick and Harlan when the assorted shit-storms came down. We've lost a few voices as a result. Some pretty cool people.

But it's time for someone else to grab the reins and move us forward. I've got enough shit in my life. I need to refocus. It's truly worth the effort to make this place happen, but not for this length of time. I've nearly resigned a couple of times in the last few months, and maybe it's just really time for it. Before my own personal anger takes the place of your own. That's not impartial. That's not fair.

I'm gonna walk away before being told to do so.

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:21 pm

steve
didn't intend to start any fires
never meant you any disrespect
certainly never to deny your import, sincerity, effort or value
i appologize for whatever part i have played in this descision
i trust you will always be here
in any station you choose
you've often made smokey the bear look like a lightweight
follow your bliss,mike

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:07 pm

cynic wrote:didn't intend to start any fires

YOU didn't start the fire?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Steve Barber, we need you here buddy. The others would not be as fair.

Diane, poodle skirt, of course. And me being a big fan of Happy Days. Fonzie is not amused.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Last night I sent the below to Rick (don't think he'll mind my sharing).

Okay.

Not crying wolf. Not being melodramatic.

I need to be replaced as moderator on the Forums.

I am frankly, just done with being a punching bag and trying to be fair to all involved. There's no winning, and I get that - but after five some-odd years of doing the gig we need some new blood.

No hysterics. No anger. No declarations. I'm just not enjoying the gig, and really see no reason to keep beating my head against the wall.

It's been a trip, and I've gotten to meet some really terrific people...but I just don't need the angst in the midst of other shit going down.

He's been a real supporter, and a good friend when I've gone off the rails previously. If you didn't already know it, Rick's a standup guy in every regard.

In this case it's no different, but he recognizes that it's time I pushed back from the table. We've had some good exchanges on what's to be done next, and what path he might take. I'll let him explain it to you, though.

I'm not gone from Webderland, of course, but I'm no longer going to be at the Forums' reins.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Return to “General”