THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

cynic

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby cynic » Sat May 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Grayson wrote:So, what the Hell has happened in the last three months, y'all?
--Grayson
grayson;
Hell has happened in the last three months.
did not live up to the hype.
dramadramadrama.
usual result.
heaven awaits.
or so it is said.

get a ride yet ?
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Business backed news. That sure has worked well. hehe.

Hi Grayson. Kiss.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat May 28, 2011 2:04 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Business backed news. That sure has worked well. hehe.

*sigh*

Yes, as a matter of fact it has. If business doesn't back news coverage, who is going to? The government? (Think Pravda before and after the fall of communism, think the Chinese News Agency. Think the North Korean news organization.) (The only notable exception might be the BBC, but it has full editorial independence.)

Useful news reporting will certainly not be done in a vacuum, and expecting accuracy with an untrained, unedited mass of "reporters" is precisely what has given us the blogosphere -- and I believe no one in their right mind would suggest that blogs are reliable news sources. Opinions, yes, news, no.

Frank, until you understand the business model and have an understanding of journalistic law and process, you're really just railing against authority instead of supplying solutions. It's the equivalent of writing "war" on a Stop Sign and thinking you've contributed something valuable towards peace.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat May 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Frank has been saving for years to buy a copy of "Steal This Book".
follow your bliss,mike

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat May 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi guys, does anyone know about Palins ethics violations and the Alaska ethics law? ty

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat May 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Diane is this what you want to know?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27105917/

Obama falls on his knees nightly and prays that the Repubs are stupid enough to nominate Sarah Palin.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun May 29, 2011 3:21 am

It was Ezra, thanks.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 29, 2011 11:44 am

Why don't the feds spy on the tea party? They hate the government and they actually use violence--we don't. I'm still pissed.

And you wonder why I'm agitated all the time.

Fed cocksuckers. Jail me. Dare you. Assholes.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun May 29, 2011 2:25 pm

Frank

Care to give me one credible cite on the Tea Party espousing any type of real violence? Threats can only be considered if the person(s) making them are credible after all.

Grayson

Postby Grayson » Sun May 29, 2011 4:28 pm

I was at boot camp and we did not receive much news, although they played the President's speech after Osama was killed as well as the occasional Katie Perry music video.

I have to say that it was quite blissful to not be bombarded by news 24/7.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Grayson, you done with bootcamp? Where are you? lol

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 31, 2011 5:18 pm

Lori, the guy who wanted to shoot people at the Tides Foundation, mentioned on Glenn Beck's show. The bomb that was found near an MLK parade. A guy who killed parisioners at a Unitarian church, because he was hunting liberals. The Gabrielle Giffords mook. That's four.

They bring guns to rallys. Imagine if they were black dudes bringing guns. The FBI would shoot them like Fred Hampton.

paul

Postby paul » Tue May 31, 2011 9:04 pm

I've just been catching up, nothing to add to the discussion. But

cynic wrote:Frank has been saving for years to buy a copy of "Steal This Book".

Made me laugh out loud. Thanks, I needed that.
(I had also totally forgotten about "Deteriorata" until now. NIce.)
The medium is the message.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue May 31, 2011 9:35 pm

the guy who wanted to shoot people at the Tides Foundation, mentioned on Glenn Beck's show

You mean Byron Williams, who listened to Glenn Beck propaganda against Tides and decided to do something with it. Glenn Beck <> Tea Party. Facts 1 - Frank 0

The bomb that was found near an MLK parade.

You mean Kevin William Harpham, the accused attempted bomber. Neo-nazi and 9/11 conspiracy theorist. Not affiliated with the Tea Party. Facts 2 - Frank 0. Plus, you lose another point for suggesting that a bomb - a non-sentient physical item - meets Lori's citation criteria. Facts 3 - Frank 0.

A guy who killed parisioners [SIC] at a Unitarian church, because he was hunting liberals.

You mean Jim David Adkisson, who conducted said shooting on July 27, 2008. Utter time-line failure since the first notable Tea Party public protests were in 2009. Facts 4 - Frank 0.

The Gabrielle Giffords mook

And finally, you mean Jared Loughner. Who has been shown to NOT to be affiliated with the Tea Party in any fashion.

That makes the final score Facts 5 - Frank 0. And the funniest thing is that you threw the shutout against yourself, and STILL didn't manage to answer Lori's question.

All that said, Frank Hampton's murder was, indeed, the worst kind of abuse of governmental power, but I really don't see the FBI opening fire indiscriminately on a black man carrying a gun to a rally if he's legally entitled to do so. Hassle? Probably a safe bet. Open fire? Dubious claim #7,328.

Lori - Do they espouse violence? That depends on whether the Tea Party wants to be closely related to Glenn Beck. Beck uses a variety of violent images and calls to action. For example (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,594343,00.html) on his June 10, 2010 program, Beck said the following:

“Tea parties believe in small government. We believe in returning to the principles of our Founding Fathers. We respect them. We revere them. Shoot me in the head before I stop talking about the Founders. Shoot me in the head if you try to change our government. I will stand against you [liberal Democrats] and so will millions of others. We believe in something. You in the media and most in Washington don’t. The radicals that you and Washington have co-opted and brought in wearing sheep’s clothing — change the pose. You will get the ends. You’ve been using them? They believe in communism. They believe and have called for a revolution. You’re going to have to shoot them in the head. But warning, they may shoot you. They are dangerous because they believe. Karl Marx is their George Washington. You will never change their mind.”

The argument comes down to whether one considers Glenn Beck credible on ANY topic. I grant that Byron Williams was tuned into Beck, and Beck espousing views that incite someone to violence makes Beck a credible threat; but the question is just how tight Beck is to Tea Party leadership. I think that oversimplifying Beck to equal "the Tea Party" is a lot like saying Fred Phelps speaks for all Baptists.

paul

To Rick & Steve & Jan & Duane et al

Postby paul » Tue May 31, 2011 10:08 pm

Been out of touch with the Pavvy and the BBs for almost two months, so I'm just now getting the news about the revamp.

While I can't contribute anything financially nor time-wise, I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to everyone who has taken their time, energy and effort into keeping this place afloat. I really mean that. Like I say, I don't get here every day but I'm terribly grateful that it's here. Regardless of the occasional flame-wars and misunderstandings- even between the regulars-, the conversations, dialogues, information and jokes have made this place a pleasure to read and a joy to come to and participate in. Someone may quote me and insert joke if they wish, but I'm quite serious.

It is a noble undertaking, and you don't know the pleasure I get and the cheer in my voice when in the course of a conversation I have occasion to say the words, "Interesting you should say that. I was reading about that very subject on the Harlan Ellison Bulletin Board... ".

I thought here a better place to say this than in the official 'Read This' threads. As a mostly constant reader and occasional poster, thank you so much for what may seem at times like a thankless task. I just wanted to say, as far as I'm concerned, it's not.
The medium is the message.

Return to “General”