THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:29 pm

We have two hundred here..lol Sorry.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:49 pm

It's ok Frank. I will forgive you this once. Don't let it haPpen again though, kay? :lol:

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:13 pm

You might also check with the local employment office. They have facilities to print and send resumes.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:44 pm

200 library computers, nice.

Too bad you're looking at cutting the police force to balance your budget.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:56 am

Don't worry, the World Choir Games will give us huge funds.

Ohio is actually doing better. Stimulus money, ya know. We aint all Texas.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:23 am

Dear Diane,

Just my $.02 worth. I say, go for it! I moved to East Hollywood when I first came to California in 1990. The vanilla sunshine is something you have to experience to believe. Check Craigslist for housing shares and teaching/nanny gigs. Can you drive a car? Do you own one? Then you might want to consider care/companion work for the disabled. A friend does it and makes a living at it.

I'm not a car person, so in the '90's in LA, I couldn't hack it. I had to move up to Nor Cal where there was BART and extensive public transportation. I lucked into a rent-controlled apartment and have a one-bedroom, living room, three walk-in closets, bathroom with a claw-foot tub, and kitchen for $818 a month. By law, the landlord can only raise our rent 2% per year. I live in the middle of downtown San Francisco.

I suggest checking out Craigslist and getting a roommate situation short-term while you hunt for the perfect apartment and get the job situation sorted out. Here's one in Long Beach, maybe Steven can tell you if it's a good deal. :)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/roo/3136201546.html

The only real downside is that it does suck to be poor in CA. There is a lot to do, but a lot of it takes money. There are creative ways around this: free days at museums, cheap SRO tix for opera, ballet, theater etc, but sometimes it can get grinding. I've got a week to live on $4.77. That's all I have in the world. On the upside, you can shop in Chinatown, or, in LA, in Mexican neighborhoods' bodegas where fresh fruit and veg on display outside are ridiculously cheap. So it is possible to eat relatively well, if rather meatless, on a budget. Just keep a pot of beans and a pot of rice on the stove and you'll do fine. :)

Oh, and if you have any kind of disability that you can get a doctor to write a letter for you to get a disabled transit card, by all means do so. It will save boocoo bux.

Any questions, just PM me or post on FB.

Hugs,
Lynn

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Lynn? I thought your name was Gwynneth? You toying with us, Muslim girl?

Lori will be happy to know that Richard Florida named San Fran the second most creative city in America. Boulder Colorado is numero uno.

So much for the idea by the right that hippies are dummies. Literacy is key to this list.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Lynn? I thought your name was Gwynneth? You toying with us, Muslim girl?

Lori will be happy to know that Richard Florida named San Fran the second most creative city in America. Boulder Colorado is numero uno.

So much for the idea by the right that hippies are dummies. Literacy is key to this list.

No, California is the birthplace of the "Latte sipping" Liberal. Hippies have all gone off to do things like start computer companies and what have you. They had their funeral in 1967 complete with coffin and funeral rites.

With UC Berkeley and Stanford how could we be stupid?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm going to have to Google Richard Florida, but have to agree that SFO and Boulder are pretty nifty places.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:15 pm

We were in Boulder once. Even stepped inside Mork and Mindy's record store.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Barber wrote:I'm going to have to Google Richard Florida, but have to agree that SFO and Boulder are pretty nifty places.

:roll:

So you like the Airport, what about the rest of the city?

:lol:

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Lynne thank you for your post. You make it sound very tempting. I guess the resolution comes down to a question of courage and finances.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:37 pm

diane bartels wrote:Lynne thank you for your post. You make it sound very tempting. I guess the resolution comes down to a question of courage and finances.

Hi, Diane,

Yes, I do understand. Just think of it as rock climbing. Get three secure points (foot, foot, hand; or hand, hand, foot) and then you can move the other point without restriction to your next safe hold.
So lock down:
source of income;
place to stay;
way to get there;
way to get around once you're there.

Savings can count for source of income for a while, but basically count on the cheapest you'll be able to live on being around $2300 a month. I live on $1580, but have a rent-controlled apt.

In LA you will need a dependable car, here in SF you won't, but will have to be ok with public transit.

I've traveled cross-country to LA on the Greyhound bus -- it got a little creepy spending the night in the depot in St. Louis waiting for the connecting bus--strike that, it was scary as hell. But the bus is a cheap option. I have a friend in LA who is a wizard at finding dependable used cars for people. If you want to go, and buy the car there, he'd be a good person to contact. I can facilitate that.
As that funny old poster of the tiger cat used to say, "Hang In There, Baby!"
Hugs,
LG :)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:56 am

San Francisco is nifty, beyond the cold weather, expensive living and vicious street people.

I will say LA is continuing to have fantastic weather--low 70s, high fifties at night, with the dry weather can be quite nippy. Humidity is icky but it does help the skin and keeps it more confortable at night. Easy for me to say..lol.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Diane, San Francisco is better than nifty. It's possible to live skinny here, as both Lori and I can attest, the weather is better than LA's, and the homeless people aren't vicious, they're either mentally ill or dying of diseases generally thought of as being wiped out in the early 20th century. LA has cooler people (although Lori is so cool, polar bears have to wear sweaters around her :) ).

And

You don't need a car here.

Hugs,
Gwyneth
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Return to “General”