THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby diane bartels » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:35 am

Lock the door, silly. Or at least close it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Diane, what's with that lingering look? :)

-----------

That is one issue that makes us all the same: we all have to go toi toi. I just cannot imagine either the Pope or the Queen crapping. Jesus wept and pissed. Did he wipe with the Dead Sea Scrolls?

See, I can do blasphemy. Poof!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:19 am

Jesus wept and pissed.

But he never seems to laugh.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Just resaw King of Comedy again. Rupert Pupkin is us.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Jesus laughed, I promise you. The Apostles were just too stupid to write that down. They didn't think it was important. They were wrong about quite a few things.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Jesus loves Chomsky. :)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:56 pm

That's not a ringing endorsement. Jesus loves everyone.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 am

But does Chomsky love Jesus? This next thing most be kept absolutely secret. If it is known I said it the German Pope will burn me at the stake. Ezra, I have been reading on Hinduism. Do you think Jesus could have been an incarnation of Lords Vishnu/Shiva, either or both? I am seriously asking and I dont just want to hear you don't believe any of it. Have you or anyone else noticed how Hindu mythology incorporates so many Jesus stories, only they predate Christianity by several thousand years?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:46 am

Hey folks,

Sorry I haven't been around lately. I've been having health issues: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=1341

Catch you on the upside.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:16 am

Get well quickly, Mark. Infections are nothing to mess with.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:23 am

Barber should know, since he is an expert on computer viruses. :lol:

Mark, be good, I adore our little scrums. Unlike some, you can take a punch.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:02 am

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Mark. The lengths some people will go to catch up on their reading!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:04 am

Diane

I suggest you pick up a good comparative religion book, your favorite library employee should be able to recommend at least one for you.

In what little studying on the topic I've done, it appears that the major religions all have the same story.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:21 pm

diane bartels wrote: Ezra, I have been reading on Hinduism. Do you think Jesus could have been an incarnation of Lords Vishnu/Shiva, either or both? I am seriously asking and I dont just want to hear you don't believe any of it. Have you or anyone else noticed how Hindu mythology incorporates so many Jesus stories, only they predate Christianity by several thousand years?

From an orthodox Hindu standpoint it would be perfectly possible to consider Jesus an avatar of Vishnu. Hinduism as a body of religious speculation tends to be very inclusive. However I think you can explain who Jesus was adequately within the context of First Century Judaism.

But ever since it became possible in the West to compare religions without getting burned at the stake scholars have noted the similarities between religions. Even ones that couldn't possibly have had any sort of cultural influence on each other. When Cortez arrived in Mexico the priests were disturbed by the parallels between the Aztec religion and their own Catholicism. Temples, heavens and hells, and the symbol of Quetzalcoatl is a cross and he was expected to be resurrected! How to explain this? The Fathers of the Church had two explanations. One, that St Thomas had traveled to the New World and preached the gospel and the current Aztec religion was a degradation of the original pure gospel. Two, that Satan had simply thrown up these ideas as parodies to confuse the situation and frustrate the mission of conversion.

So what is the explanation?

Since a naturalistic view would not accept divine revelation but would accept the evolution of human beings I think the best explanation is that no matter what culture or time period, the structure and working and psychology of the human brain is the same. Humans spontaneously respond to the same images and stories and ideas. And a lot of these ideas spring from the fact that traditional societies have been a much closer to the natural world than modern technological societies are. Take the idea of resurrection. Every year nature goes through a cycle of death in the winter and rebirth in the spring. How could agrarian cultures not be influenced in their thinking by this observation?

But on the other hand it's not really accurate to draw the conclusion from the fact that all religions share many of the same images and ideas and stories that all religions are the same. There is a huge difference between the attitude of Hinduism towards the nature of ultimate reality and the attitude of Christianity. For one thing Christianity believes god is a personal being who has wishes and desires and preferences. Hindus have gods but they are not the source of ultimate reality. They are simply masks to give us a frame of reference with which to relate. Hindus believe ultimate reality is impersonal and beyond all concept.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Jesus is a person, not a being. God is a force, bigger than a being. The holy spirit is the force that works with personal hearts.

Jesus actually rose again, unlike other gods.

Return to “General”