THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Well while Hurricane Sandy is bearing down on me and I may have only a little while before the power goes let's talk a little politics shall we?

Tony, of course Obama's not the best "man" for the job! Nobody who wants that damn job should be allowed within a mile of it. Only person I could trust would have to be forced at gunpoint. And if you consider the list of mediocrities we've elected over the years...well never mind that we started off with a bang and were lucky enough to have Lincoln and FDR when we needed them most. Other than that it's been pretty average. Bad luck that on 9/11 we absolutely struck out.

So here's why I will vote for Obama.

The economy is too just complex for one President's policies to make it be all shiny and wonderful overnight. But there are definitely policies that can make it worse. I'll be damned if I can see any difference between Romney's plan and Bush's which you remember precipitated if it did not entirely cause the current problems.

The prospect of another rightward leaning ideologue on the Supreme Court.

The prospect of a Justice Department full of folks who don't give a fuck about civil rights.

Women and gays having to refight battles that have been decided already

The prospect of four more years of absolutely nothing being done to address climate change and environmental issues.

And lastly and perhaps not so obviously but important nevertheless, the Republicans should NOT be rewarded for the anti-democratic (no pun here at all) tactics they've employed for the last four years.

ps Oh yeah to give the finger to all my racist relatives back down south. Y'all.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Ezra, it is loopy to vote for someone you know will win your area by 89 percent. Give a Jill Stein some love and at least show the beasts that they cannot own the leash.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 pm

My thoughts are with all those who are in the path of the innocuously-named Sandy. Stay safe, all.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Excellent post, Ezra.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:38 pm

The boardwalk in Ashbury Park is history. Sad.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Facebook tells this is Rick Wyatt's birthday. Wasn't sure if you would want messages in the Pavy, so Happy Birthday here Rick. Hope you have a great day and thank you for all you to make this a terrific place. Your friend, Diane

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 am

Unless it is mentioned on the Pav keep your powder dry.

Frisbee Boy has been absent as of late.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:27 pm

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Be scared shitless but safely.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Ezra, this article was made for you. Andrew Ferguson, a conservative writer at Time Magazine is not happy with the inequality he sees in DC:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 062,00.htm

I agree with some of it, but there are hipsters everywhere, even in flyover country. You would think Obama could do more about the poverty there.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:17 pm

FrankChurch wrote:You would think Obama could do more about the poverty there.

How? And what?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:24 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Ezra, this article was made for you. Andrew Ferguson, a conservative writer at Time Magazine is not happy with the inequality he sees in DC:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 062,00.htm

I agree with some of it, but there are hipsters everywhere, even in flyover country. You would think Obama could do more about the poverty there.

Interesting article. Ferguson gets it right I think to the degree he penetrates. You see bright-eyed twenty-somethings everywhere. But don't make the mistake of thinking of these young folks as "hipsters". Most of them might as well be their great-grandparents. There is another Washington DC, one that you don't see on TV and that hardly ever makes the papers. That's the one with the folks who live here and don't view the city as a stepping stone or an job opportunity.

Like a lot of folks I came here because this is where the job was. I do pretty good but as the guy points out this area has one of the highest costs of living in the whole country. Boo Hoo for me. But there are benefits. DC has a long term inferiority complex going over New York City (who I suspect never notices) so the city goes out of its way to prove it's mettle. With all the Foundations and Institutions and Embassies, not to mention all the big time universities there is so much good cultural stuff going on that you could succumb to sensory overload and I'm not even that big on the nightlife, I'm really not. But it's there when I want it and when I visit back in Georgia and everyone settles in for a looong evening of television I feel like climbing the walls. I suppose I've turned into a city slicker.

Will I always want to live here? I don't know.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:08 am

Well, I cast my vote today. I voted for Obama and for Congressman Ed Perlmutter. Running against Ed is Joe Coors, of Coors Tek. He's a Coors, alright. Very charming, folksy, but inside every bit an aristocrat. I worked at Coors Brewing Co. for five years. The only Coors I could stomach was old Bill Coors. It was under his leadership that Coors had things like a meeting place for gay and lesbian company employees.

But, the whole facade of the 'Family Business' was just that. They are slick, the Coors family. Very slick. Joe is no exception. He has run or countenanced a slick, slimy campaign against Ed Perlmutter, who seems to be every bit the public servant one's congressman should be. His office helped my sister when the disability people were playing some pretty cruel games with her.

I just came back from seeing Cloud Atlas. There are two repeated lines that go through time, from the 1830's to the 2400's:

"The weak are meat and the strong get to eat."

"There is a natural order of things."

The natural order spoken of is the reduction of society to the relationship between master and slave. That's what they mean when they talk about "Right to Work" and "At-Will Employment".

That's what this whole political struggle is all about, not just this election. The weak are meat and the strong get to eat. Is this what we want to this country to be?

Get out there and vote, Goddamnit.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48 am

There's a whole history of Joseph Coors funding the loony right. The guy was basically a white supremacist.

I just found out recently that the Democratic Leadership Council in the 90s was funded by the Koch's. Made me sick.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 am

Angelinos, vote yes to stop GMO foods.

You do it or I break your fingas.

Return to “General”