THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Robert Reich called Obama a Rockafeller Republican. That's accurate.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:What those links I posted reveal is the fundamental disconnect between current Republican perception and reality.

I'm currently reading Among the Truthers by National Post columnist Jonathan Kay. He devotes an entire chapter to the Birther movement, and describes attending one of their conventions. These guys, a huge piece of the Tea Party movemet, don't just dislike Obama's policies (conservative by most of the world's standards). They honestly believe he's the anti-christ. That's not just hyperboyle either: these are evangelical Christians who seriously believe Barrack Obama is the Book of Revelations anti-christ (or at least the False Prophet, the Devil's right hand man). It is bizaare and more than a little terrifying. That they've been rebuffed by the public is the reason I applauded on Tuesday, not because I think the President's a saint. . .

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:37 pm

There was a religion writer on the late, lamented Rocky Mountain News. In one artlcle, he wrote about the game that he called Pin the Tail on the Antichrist. It seems the Big A is Whoever We Don't Like At This Moment.

Hell, there were those who thought Reagan was the antichrist because his first, middle and last names all had six letters.

But then the Number of the Beast might well be 616. Wouldn't that be a kick in the 'nads?

Paul: Thanks for the thought. Steve will be cremated, the coroner's office has released his body. I hope we can get his brother Tim over there. He needs this.

Chuch
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:58 pm

The truthers are nutty, but at least they also follow actual truims, unlike our right wing friends.

----------

Asians also overwhelmingly voted for Obama, which is odd, since asians are not all the same--they are a vast different bunch of differing ideas and cultures.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:04 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Mark, if you tell us you like sex, we are smart enough to know it doesn't mean you are pro-rape. We get ya bud.

Jus rippin on ya.

Sex is why we are here.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:50 pm

My own favorite quote on the subject is from Jack Parsons, a scientist who helped found the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and who was also a practicing occultist, writing in the 1940s. From an essay entitled Freedom is a Two Edged Sword.

Indeed there are obscene things in the light and in the darkness; things that deserve destruction: -- The exploitation of women for poor wages, the shameful degradation of minorities by the little lice who call themselves members of a 'superior race' and the deliberate machinations towards war. Nowhere among these genuine obscenities is there a place for the love shared by men and women. There are sins but love is not one of them and yet, of all the things that have been called sins, love has been the most punished and the most persecuted. Of all the beauties we know, the springtime of love is closest to paradise. And as all things pass, so love passes -- too soon. This most exquisite and tender of human emotions, this little moment of eternity, should be free and unrestrained. It should not be bought and sold, chained and restricted until lovers, caught in the maelstrom of economics and laws, are hounded like criminals. What end is served and who profits by such cruelty? Only priests and lawyers. Let us adhere to a strict morality where the rights and happiness of our fellow man is concerned. Let us call our true sins by their right names and expiate them accordingly -- but let our lovers go free.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Sex may be why some of you are here, but me I came for the cookies. And tea.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:23 pm

FrankChurch wrote:The truthers are nutty, but at least they also follow actual truims,

Such as?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:42 am

Ah, cupcake sprinkles, what about Operation Mongoose, they tend to agree with that.

Project Paperclip, another.

Cointelpro.

lalalalalala.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 am

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:35 pm

That's wonderful news Mark. At least you aren't going to be a starving artist. I know way too many of those creatures and they don't make a lick of sense to me.

I mean, most people don't spend all day doing whatever creative endeavor they are pursuing do they?

In your opinion where the hell did the idea of the starving artist come from?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:That's wonderful news Mark. At least you aren't going to be a starving artist. I know way too many of those creatures and they don't make a lick of sense to me.

I mean, most people don't spend all day doing whatever creative endeavor they are pursuing do they?

In your opinion where the hell did the idea of the starving artist come from?

Very specifically, from La Boheme. The Bohemian "art scene" of the Paris Left Bank of the 1850s through 1880s, with all those refugees from the provinces vying for recognition against a strictly regulated conformist background. It was set down in prose by one of them, Henry Murger, on whose works the opera was based, and on which works he eventually became quite well-to-do and famous. It was a romanticized version of a horrible set of conditions done for the express purpose of selling newspapers to the bourgeois.

As to doing one's craft all day long, it depends. When I'm deep into a novel, yes, I work on it all day long, whether I'm sitting in front of the computer or walking the dog. But you're right, most people don't do that.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Ah, cupcake sprinkles, what about Operation Mongoose, they tend to agree with that.

Project Paperclip, another.

Cointelpro.

lalalalalala.

But what good is that if all their energies go toward fighting the illuminati? It's pretty useless from an activist perspective. . .

Return to “General”