THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Mark Tiedemann

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:23 am

robochrist wrote:Hating Mexican food:

I don't hate it, but I have to be in the mood for it.

It's hard to describe my dislike. (Don't hate it, so much as I would always---always---would rather have something else and never have an urge to actively seek it out; [partly, this is a vegetable-based reaction---I do not like tomatoes and they are in everything Mexican, it seems. Now, oddly, my wife loves Mexican, but hates beans. It's an interesting situation.) To me, the closest I can get is a musical analogy---Mexican to me is like listening to music with no bass or mid-range. It's all in the treble and all played on the same instruments. Just....bleh.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:36 am

FrankChurch wrote:I always back my stuff up with facts and evidence, blah blah.

I've been thinking about this a bit, because I didn't want to just call BS. The problem, Frank, is you argue in soundbites and rely on all those links to carry your water. You open a door and lob in a cherry bomb, then run away before it explodes and gets everyone else all exercised, then you're not there to engage in the discussion. You cast aspersions but you don't actually make any arguments, just condemn. By the time people here respond with counter-arguments, you've moved on to another topic and more glib comments. Sometimes the links you post have facts, but just as often (or more) they're just lengthier restatings of your initial snarky comment. It's not an argument, not a discussion, its more like speed dating, but you never connect. never go out with anyone, never have that more detailed conversation.

It then comes across as a pretense of superior knowledge, you "holding yourself above the fray" by not deigning to engage in the rough-n-tumble. You make a pronouncement and if we disagree, it seems your lack of response implies you think we're just deluded or, worse, evil. ("Well, if you can argue with that, I'm not even going to grace your comeback with a reply.") But just as you suggest the Other Side cherrypicks its data, so do you. All the rather extensive and detailed information that has been provided to you about the situation between Israel and its detractors, you never respond, as if it has passed through you like a ghost without substance. Maybe you think this makes you appear wise, but it's just annoying, especially when you can't come back and say "But that's wrong!" (I mean, hell, just as a for instance, regardless of how Israel behaves, the fact is that with very few exceptions, they live surrounded by countries and institutions that have pledged their utter destruction, which is a reality they have to live with daily---but you never even comment on how all those people ought to grow up and get over it, and by omission you seem to implicitly agree with them. Not very solid ground on which to base a claim that you "back all your arguments up with facts.")

So, there's my take on the problem. You do not argue well or fairly, yet bitch when the same tactics are used on you. That's the problem.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:02 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:24 pm

I engaged on my tech rant but Barber gave up, so I became frustrated. You all frustrate me as well, maybe more. :)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:40 pm

It's a rainy Monday morning here in LA. Thinking of exotic and faraway places.

http://thumbnailtraveler.blogspot.com
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Bermuda seems like a nice place. A good idea for a coming trip for you and yours Barber babee.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:37 pm

I and the fair city if Chicago have dibs on Barber and Mrs. There are some times of year, fleeting but fun, when the weather is decent and even nice here. And we rule on architecture, food, music and zoos,

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Diane

I get the Barbers first TYVM. I'm only a 45 minute flight away from them for one thing. And I have a few venues I'd like to show Cris, maybe figure out how to get her booked at the ones she likes.

I mean if you can figure out how to monetize a trip I really think you should!

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm

I will. I need the other side's lawyers to cooperate. Then I am on the plane to see you and Gwynne, and we have to all go see the Barbers and Ellisons.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:42 am

Barber wrote:It's a rainy Monday morning here in LA. Thinking of exotic and faraway places.

http://thumbnailtraveler.blogspot.com

Nice piece on Under The Tuscan Sky. I, too, watch that one. I actually watch it periodically. Chick flick? Well, yeah, but more than that it's a film about friendships, and I find the older I get the more I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I'd claim it as a guilty pleasure, but I frankly feel not one bit of guilt about it. Besides, it's funny.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:39 pm

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Rainy days and mondays always get me down.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Mark
It is a chick flick, but (sshhhh) we cannot admit to enjoying them too much lest we discover LIFETIME is now hard-wired to our DVR box.

There are a handful of chick flicks I have certainly enjoyed over the years. I'd add FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and LOVE, ACTUALLY to my own list of not terribly guilty pleasures. And yes, the humor is a key element.

Just don't tell the ladies; we'd never hear the end of it.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm

And thank you all for bidding on our next trip. 2013 is pretty well spoken for, but there are always weekenders!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 am

Barber's a wuss, Barber's a wuss.

:)

Return to “General”