THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Mark Tiedemann

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 am

I'm going to be recycling some of my pieces for the holidays, starting with this one:

http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=246

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:40 am

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:25 pm

In light of Mark's excellent piece of writing and of friendship: A Very Happy Winter Solstice to All. Be of good cheer, for spring will follow winter and dawn the night.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Frank, read Mark's second post. Analyze the logic. Apply to yourself. Then you may realize why your post on the Pavy was crude, hurtful and extremely self-indulgent. Don't you ever think of anyone else's feelings before you post?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 am

Diane, thank you for your kind appreciation.

I have a follow-up to yesterday's post, though: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=1688

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Somebody at church mentioned the fact that all the shooters are young guys, man-children, who haven't learned to grow up. I think that is a good point to be raised.

Mark did good. Agree with much of it.

---------

We are all guilty.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:30 pm

We need to come together not shoot each other down.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:36 am

Frank, Laurie Dann.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:03 am

FrankChurch wrote:Somebody at church mentioned the fact that all the shooters are young guys, man-children, who haven't learned to grow up. I think that is a good point to be raised.

Perhaps in the last few months, but this is certainly not the case over the last decade of murders. The Washington Sniper being an example -- yes, a younger man was involved, but he was in the thrall of an older person. We're always so quick to label the monsters as someone other than ourselves.

The truth is that the younger people who act out these attacks are themselves no doubt influenced by the gun culture, tied heavily to video games and media which show it to be a way to get notoriety. Legally, parents have responsibility for their children through the age of 18 -- which places the guilt directly on the families. But it's unfair to those people to shoulder the entirety when the media shows such reverence for the perps (Dexter anyone?). And the NRA, with their "give everyone a gun it will solve the problem" wild west mentality essentially gives societal approval to gunfights in public.

If it's the kids we want to blame, then it's the parents, the media and the gun lobby which bear the fruit of responsibility.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:36 am

Who was ATC talking about?

----------

My only fear is that we go crazy and pass a law like the Patriot Act or try to ban speech. It really comes down to changing the hearts of people. Love more, hate less.

Love the one you're with.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:02 pm

My only fear is that we go crazy and pass a law like the Patriot Act or try to ban speech. It really comes down to changing the hearts of people. Love more, hate less.

Love the one you're with.

Frank

You sure do like the simple answers to complex problems don't you.

Love dosen't even come close to conquering all, not by a long shot. As long as we have a culture that believes that in the words of our host "... there is nothing more elequent as the vocabulary of a punch in the mouth..." and have people in that culture who believe that they have the right to any and all firearms and the bullets to put in them, we will have this problem.

As long as the USA does not see the need to provide free and comprehensive health care to all, the mental health of the nation will continue to go down the drain. As long as we accept violence in our entertainment, the problem will continue. As long as the marginalized are shunted off to lives of quiet desperation, the problem will continue.

So, while I'd love to believe "All you need is LOVE...." I know damned well that that's not quite all I need.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:06 pm

I've just decided: Colorado is our prettiest state. Are you beaming Chuck?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:03 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I've just decided: Colorado is our prettiest state. Are you beaming Chuck?

Certainly parts of it are, but why in particular?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:58 pm

As Michael Moore shows in Bowling For Columbine, why can't you blame foreign policy for gun violence here? It seems more logical than blaming someone who watches a Tarantino film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw8QNf6JjLY

No gun here will ever kill as many innocent as our policies have done over the years. It's not even close. Anyone who brings this up is marginalized. Shameful.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Long time, no see, everyone. Sorry I've been neglecting this forum lately. It's time for that to change.
BTW, Is there anyone here NOT following David Gerrold's facebook page? A great deal of common sense, there. Frank, you'd love it.

Return to “General”