THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:39 pm

Well he actually hasn't said anything yet; but I dont' want to be seen as hijacking this annex, which was created for a very specific purpose.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Ben W. wrote:http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41601

Oh, Lord. Oh, Jesus. This is it. The end times. Satire is no longer satire. Imagination is officially dead. Originality has fled to greener pastures. We are now experiencing the creative dead zone of cinema.

VIEWMASTER: THE MOVIE. This is not amusing. This is evil.

Next they'll make "etch-a-sketch: the sequal". If they could animate the whole thing on this device, I'd be impressed.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:52 am

I just got caught up on the last three weeks of Pavvy posts, and then I find this new shiny toy, and why am i not surprised that Church & Goldberg are already tearing each others collars by the swings at recess? You kids....

Good idea Jan. I'm not sure what to make of this Annex yet, but I do enjoy hearing ideas and stories, and I dig the way conversation flows, like a river. (One reason I don't write posts so much, per se. I prefer talking.) I hope it doesn't get confusing if several people are 'talking over' others about different topics, in a kind of "who was that directed to" kinda-thing, if the Subject wasn't made clear. Just a thought.

But in the spirit this was intended, What's Next For Sarah Palin~ Mini-Madoff or Dreaming-Dole?
Personally, I hate the fact that she's still in the news, for anything. I never hated McCain, so much I was mad about his running the GOP playbook, but if i did, it would be for inflicting upon her, and by extension us, the idea that she is, was, or could be, someone of importance.

Thanks for sharing your stories guys. My uncle was in Korea for three years. The most interesting story he would tell is that he never smoked until he got there, and received cig packs in with his rations and all. Two packs a week. So, he smoked 'em. For over two years. When he came back to the States, he quit, cold turkey. Never touched them again.
The medium is the message.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:52 am

Steve E, thanks but this is the conversation thread, and it's only natural for conversations to turn into debates intermittently. If something annoys one of us, we'll let each other know. I think I said I'm not moderating this. It's in all our interests to keep the the thread intelligent and to employ common sense regarding the opening of seperate threads. -- Personally, I don't follow and Middle East discussions. It is good to have pet interests, and I'm busy with my own ones.

Paul, I'm glad you understand what this is or can be. Re: talking over others - people can use the topic line of their posts, if their are dealing with something specific. In fact, it's good to point this out.

From the family and war stories I've heard I think it's fair to say most of you know too little and should rectify this, in my opinion. It may not be the easiest thing to do, but to a certain degree, family is who we are, and we should "know" who we are. Our ancestors are our tie to the past, and we are products of history.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Jan, that was rather coherent of you.

You should follow the middle east. This area is the tipping point. Life or death hinges on this place.

How stupid was it of Biden to say that Israel can bomb Iran. Yea, Biden, that will make Iran right, bomb all the sweet people who marched in the streets. Much more heroic than people who bomb babies from the air.

Coil 2.0

Re:

Postby Coil 2.0 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Jan wrote:From the family and war stories I've heard I think it's fair to say most of you know too little and should rectify this, in my opinion.

... to a certain degree, family is who we are, and we should "know" who we are. Our ancestors are our tie to the past, and we are products of history.

I agree, but the last of my ancestors died 15 years ago. Family and lifetime friends are our anchors. I am fortunate to have many friends.

Coil 2.0

Postby Coil 2.0 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:15 pm

I apologize on behalf of Alans eveywhere for the recent churlish postings by alan in Largo Florida.

Also for Allans and Allens, and possibly even some aliens. :?

Gwyneth M905

Family History and War

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:50 pm

I have a favorite family story, told to me by my paternal grandmother. She was a charming, multilingual (Greek, Turkish, Russian and English) beauty (think skinny and short Maria Callas with a big rack and a tiny waist.)

This is how she met my grandfather.

Grandmother's family was of Greek/Russian/Turkish descent. They lived in luxury in Odessa, as her family owned the only trading rights between the Ottoman Empire and the Russian Empire. I've seen photos of her childhood home. Think Yasnaya Polyana on steroids! She had ponies and nannies and serfs, oh my! (OK, well, the serfs were emancipated in the 1860's but Grandmother's family had peasants working their land.)

Then came the Revolution. Fire ravaged the fine home, her father was shot, her grandmother (a formidable dragon of a woman) gathered up the family, sewed gold and jewels into the lining and hems of garments and...

Her family fled Odessa in 1918.

They settled in Smyrna, Turkey. Grandmother's eldest brother went back to Russia, and was killed. The remaining family living in the villa in the hills consisted of my grandmother, her younger brother, her mother, her grandmother, and a retinue of servants including a huge Georgian from the South Caucasus with a big white moustache. He was the family's guard and patrolled the grounds with a rifle and two bandoliers across his chest.

As Christians and, as Greeks (my grandmother's surname was Kalotis), they had to keep a relatively low profile since the Greco-Turkish war was simmering around them. Like the family in the wonderful film "BURNT BY THE SUN", they were enjoying a fleeting image of wealth and joy.

The British had been in Istanbul from the time of the First World War. My grandfather was an engineer involved in building rail lines as close to the Baku oil fields as the Brits could get them, and then down into the port cities. His life revolved around work, the club of expat Englishmen, cricket and polo.

Fast forward to 1922. September. The "Young Turks" had already massacred the Armenians. Now it was Smyrna's turn. Turkish soldiers and officials went from building to building setting fires to Greek and Christian businesses, homes, and schools. Christians were tortured, hanged and burned. Their heads were chopped off.

Rumors and stories of the massacre reached the villa in the hills via some loyal servants. My Draconic Great-Great-Grandmother loaded the children in their buggy and, lashing the horses to a froth, drove them to the wharf where the American, British, and other ships were moored.

The scene was heartrending chaos: American Marines, under orders to shoot any refugee who tried to board a ship, stood guard as women tried to hand or even throw their children on board. Behind them, Smyrna was an inferno. But the Brits, and the Americans did nothing to help. My Great-Great-Grandmother, seeing that the situation was rapidly deteriorating, turned the horses around and fled back through the flaming city to their home in the hills.

It was still intact--too far away to have been directly firebombed--and too well guarded! My grandmother remembers one of the horses collapsing in its traces as the buggy stopped and their Georgian Cossack guard whisked the children back into the home. (My grandmother, by this time, was a young woman of 16--so not technically a child.)

A group of men advanced on the house with rifles and started shooting. Grandmother's Cossack retainer armed everyone and set up cover and a blockade of the main entrance. Some of the servants fled, but most stayed out of loyalty to this kind family.

Meanwhile, through the good graces of God, and possibly a maid, the British Club was informed that there was a "house in the hills filled with women--being menaced by Turks!" Go figure, the city was being slaughtered around them but...well, my Grandfather took it upon himself to gather together a gang of men with rifles, and, riding their polo ponies to the rescue (my grandmother remembers they were all wearing white) rode up behind the big house in the hills with guns blazing.

Hearing the shots coming from behind the house, the little group inside thought that they were surrounded and all was lost. There was a tremendous volley of gunfire and cries, and then...a polite knock on the front door.

Rifle at the ready, the Cossack motioned for my grandmother's younger brother to open the door. In strode all 6'2" of my grandfather, in his white polo outfit and riding boots, backlit by the sun and the flames from the city. "Everything is all right, women!" he said,"The Turks have been destroyed!"

"And after that, dear," said my grandmother, "I just had to marry him."
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:49 am

Gwyn:

Just read your story aloud to my wife Carole and she said, "Wow. What a romantic story. Hard to match that story."

My brother's wife comes from Greek stock, so we've been to Athens, Delphi, the mountain monasteries of Meteora, and some of the islands, but not as far east as Turkey and Smyrna. But I know some of the history, and the backdrop of your tale reminds me of portions of _Middlesex_ and _Captain Corelli's Mandolin_.

Thanks for telling it. Great tale.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Wow, Gwyn, you're a regular Tolstoy. Nothing beats a smart woman. Hugs.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:54 pm

What times. It''s good that you remember this story so well.
There's something about saving women that I always liked, but opportunities are rare, and no one will entrust me with a rifle.
Great-Great-Grandmother did her part toward being saved because she tried to save herself and her children. Not everybody knows when to run or where to turn.

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:26 pm

My You-tube channel is called professor0fate (with a zero) and I try to get at least one video up every week.

What else have I got?

Nothin'
--kk

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:17 pm

Looks like Youtube is in huge debt. Let's hope it stays afloat.

Coil 2.0

Postby Coil 2.0 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:09 pm

Somebody please tell me that what I just read at the Pavilion was just a sick, twisted attempt at humor from the un-capitalized poster in the un-capitalized city in the un-capitaized state of Sunshine.

Please.

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:11 pm

what you just read at the Pavilion was just a sick, twisted attempt at humor from the un-capitalized poster in the un-capitalized city in the un-capitaized state of Sunshine.

your welcome

your's truly,Somebody
follow your bliss,mike

Return to “General”