THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:41 pm

My condolences, Frank.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks you guys.

The Harlan youtube channel is mighty nice, but I do disagree with the "don't steal" one. Surprised?

:)

Life as they say goes on.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 pm

My sympathy to you and your family, Frank. Take care of yourself and your family,

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Diane's a sweetie.

----------

Ezra, were you at the march?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:53 pm

No, had a quiet week vacating and couldn't deal with the crowds just after I got back. And I hate to say this but I'm not a big Rev Al fan. I don't buy the mutation from huckster to venerable Civil Rights figure. Call me cynical.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Okay, you're cynical. What do I win?

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:43 am

Ezra, that new avatar suits you. ha.

You are correct about Sharpton. A bumbling Obama functionary.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 am

Barber, what ya think of the Long Beach Register?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:29 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Ezra, that new avatar suits you. ha.

You are correct about Sharpton. A bumbling Obama functionary.

Frank you say that every time I switch to a new avatar. I'm looking for one you don't think suits me.

Rev Al is a second (or is that third?) rate Jesse Jackson. Neither of whom are in Obama's league at all.

Chuck Messer wrote:Okay, you're cynical. What do I win?

Chuck

Chuck you win a free copy of Bill Clinton's autobiography. It will make a fine doorstop or anchor for a small boat but I have to remind you it is illegal to actually read it. The punishment is unspeakable. Another free copy.

Hmmmm...when I offered the paper with the HE quotes to Himself I only had the section containing the actual article. I reread his response and he requested I send the whole paper. I'm not sure what value the other parts would have but the point is moot cause I don't have them. Oh well off it goes and hopefully it will meet his needs.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:17 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, what ya think of the Long Beach Register?

Surprised you heard about that in your neck of the woods. I think it's a great idea and long overdue. Our "local" paper has been gutted by Media News Group. They retained a couple of the more popular columnists and a couple of staff reporters and that's it. It's actually more of a small-town SouthBay newspaper than the 100K+ circulation it used to be.

While the Register can been a media whore as well, I think creating an essentially "second" Long Beach paper can only do good things for the city. I've often been amused that Long Beach seems to be the only city in LA county that Orange County people admit to going and liking...this sort of continues that trend! 8)

We'll see where the editorial comes from. If it's simple rehashing of OC-important news items we'll be in a position of choosing between LA-orientation and OC-orientation...with little "local" in either direction. But, as the Register editor pointed out: “Long Beach is an important and vibrant city where we believe our unique approach and focus on community building will be valuable and well-supported by subscribers and advertisers,” said Kushner, publisher of the Register and Freedom CEO.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:34 pm

See how well informed I am? No, I saw the CEO on Morning Joe.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:40 pm

The Canadians are just...different:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... _ref=media

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Ezra

Most newspapers the size of the WAPO tend to keep several issues of each days issue in an archive.

For a small fee they will send you one of you provide the date of the issue you want. Call 'em and ask about it. . Then you can send it to him in it's entirety.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Lori you're so smart. :D

How do you like my new avatar? It's a recent photograph of me. A friend of mine named Pickman took it. Somebody finally got my good side! I take after my Dad. (He was born in Dunwich, a quiet little town in Massachusetts where nothing ever happens...heh heh heh...)

Is anyone as scandalized by Miley Cyrus as I am? Imagine getting up there in front of everybody and singing a song with no appreciable melody? :wink:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 pm

I’m posting this in the Annex to avoid being politically provocative in the main forum.

I’m an IT professional just like Manning and Snowden. I work in a local hospital and I have administrative access to ALL of the data stored in the hospital system. I am legally FORBIDDEN to even access and peruse this data, and I would add that personally I have, in every IT job that I’ve held, would consider perusing data as an ethical violation. To actually COPY this type of data and post it on THE FUCKING INTERNET is such an egregious violation of ethics and law it makes my head spin.

Suppose that I had some sort of beef with the way that the hospital was processing Medicare charges? My response then is to copy the ENTIRE MEDICAL DATABASE and post it publicly? Then sit back and explain that this isn’t a crime, I’m just an innocent whistleblower? This fictional scenario that I describe would expose personal social security numbers,corresponding addresses, names, phone numbers and medical histories. Would this be acceptable because I was offended by some practice that in MY PERSONAL OPINION needed to be made public? There are other avenues to to pursue this sort of whistleblowing, at the very least they could have stolen individual examples of the offending practices, not the WHOLE THING, INDISCRIMINATELY!!!

Snowden not only broke the law, he violated what should have been his personal ethics. Manning violated his oath of service, and the law. They both should burn.

Additionally, when I see Snowden’s smarmy fucking face, I want to smash it repeatedly against some thing very solid and sharp.

Harlan was being nice, in my opinion. These guys are assholes - gaping, hairy, dirty prolapsed assholes.

Return to “General”