THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, describe the long flight you just encountered? It had to be awful, beyond the beauty of down under.

We are definitely dealing with that brutal bitch, Jetlag. And she's on a tirade this time around. But but but....

A) I managed to catch up on several films I've wanted to see/resee.
B) the true challenge is moving West to East. Heading down to Sydney was surprisingly easy...though upgrades to Business Class really helped out. Coming back was the clumsily entitled Premium Economy which was, still, pretty damned good. Slept sound to Oz, not so great coming back.

Howsomever...

Australia and New Zealand are worth every moment. 8)

Here are some pics on FB to hopefully prove my point: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.628674320536847.1073741842.342013912536224&type=1
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:50 am

A couple of thoughts on the Hugos: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=2185

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:51 am

To Franks' credit, Harlan did indeed mention Frank and Rob in the same sentence. But Franklin should be able to figure out Harlan was getting at. It was a simple statement.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:27 am

Mark Tiedemann wrote:A couple of thoughts on the Hugos: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=2185

Oh Mark stop being so reasonable! How are you ever going to master this internet thing unless you learn to lash out incoherently?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:50 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:
Mark Tiedemann wrote:A couple of thoughts on the Hugos: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=2185

Oh Mark stop being so reasonable! How are you ever going to master this internet thing unless you learn to lash out incoherently?

That would require me to post shit at three in the morning. I'm sleeping then.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Sleeping? How unhip. :)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Did Harlan just diss us?

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:39 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Did Harlan just diss us?

Us?

No, just you.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 pm

He's just trying to get the silent types to post more, lurk less. That was the purpose of killing the old yellow-and-black bulletin board and creating the Pavilion.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:24 pm

I'd talk more, but most of my posts are farts in the wind. if you get my drift....

No one seems to give a shit what I have to say, so why bother saying it?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Great, I get that from Andrew after some really bad news. No, I aint spilling it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Lori, don't talk like that. You are liked by us all.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:I'd talk more, but most of my posts are farts in the wind. if you get my drift....

No one seems to give a shit what I have to say, so why bother saying it?

As Harlan notes, don't mistake the silence is anything less than "unenlightened self-interest". In other words, we're all so wrapped up in our own worlds that we don't bother responding to someone else's. I am guilty of it, going back after a post and kicking myself when I realize I'd meant to add a note regarding someone's previous comment.

There is an old adage somewhere that essentially says "It isn't that people aren't listening, it's that they're just waiting to talk themselves".
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 pm

And also there is the principle, 'Silence gives assent'. It could just be we don't respond because we agree with you.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 pm

Lori, I don't think your posts are farts in the wind! There was a time I'd be crude enough to say that about a couple of others here, but I'm done with the vulgar officiousness that was once my trademark - given my own humbling traumas of the last year or so. It's on the record then: YOUR posts always draw an eye!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I want to say about this "Frank and Rob in the same breath" business: I may "wax" political now-and-then, but it's not ALL I get into, and I think that's pretty clear. I AM caught up in lots of ongoing research in my own endeavors, and some of the history I unearth - like the boom town vigilantes, the Baldknobbers, esp. - fascinates me. Makes for good conversation, whether it carries a political din or not. In short, when I want a breather from the world around me, I like to post whatever happens to be on my mind, but also what I think might prove entertaining for others - or Harlan. The Sagan/Clarke/Hawking conversation, for instance.

In case my posting seems at times like a welter of discordant sounds - and I miss something in my own yammering - I will mention here this one time only that I am diagnosed (from 2012) with adhd and bipolar depression. The combination can really tie you up in knots and it IS very distracting. Just letting you know what's going on.

Return to “General”